Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #76
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post

He obviously meant being discreet on the ship so as not to cause a problem for the CMs or other passengers.
It seems like you are saying you want people to lie about what they are doing or hide it as if it were a dirty secret...
Obviously many cruisers don't view it this way and no matter how many times you scold the offenders the practice will still happen. We just don't view it as the terrible, immoral practice that some of you do
I don't see anyone bragging about it either, just being honest to let the newbies know what the cruise experience is like on DCL...

So many other more important things to worry about on vacation than if that person in the atrium is drinking alcohol that he/she brought on the ship.
JMHO

You are free to disagree of course as I am free to disagree with you
Well, "lie about it as if it were a dirty secret" is somewhat dramatic, but I get the point you are trying to make. I certainly don't waste any of my vacation time "worrying" about who drinks what from where. I would just hate to see the DCL policy changed because it people refuse to follow it. And I'm sure if it changes, plenty of people will still sneak their alcohol onboard and come here to tell people how to do it and not get caught.

Yes, we are free to disagree. :-) (Can't "flower" you back on my phone!)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #77
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie321 View Post
Um on our magic cruise in February we sat at a table next to a man who had his bottle of rum on the table as he ordered cokes to go with it from the waiter by the pool, so apparently they don't rally care.

I haven't gotten all the way through the thread, but the one thing I've seen repeated so far, is that the CM's....bartenders, wait staff, etc, "don't say anything" to people who obviously have their own liquor.

That's because they aren't allowed to.

Very seldom will you see a CM say anything to correct any passenger, unless maybe it's going to cause someone to get hurt.

Now I finished, and I see that a few other people have said the same thing......it's not that they're turning a blind eye....or that they don't care.....like it's been said....the crew and staff won't say anything because they don't want to offend anyone and possibly lose their business. DCL is famous for that.
One of the very few "rules" that they actually enforce is the dress code for men in Palo and Remy.

Last edited by justmestace; 04-06-2013 at 10:01 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #78
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42 View Post
DCL is not counting on revenue from liquor sales. They do very little to promote the sale of drinks. We had most of the time to hale a waiter to get a refill. You need to take Carnival Cruise then you will understand.

I'm not 100% sure of what you're trying to say here....but I'll preface this by saying that I'm really not much of a drinker. Sometimes, no matter what cruise line it is, I'll bring a bottle or two of the sparkling wine I like to drink at dinner, but otherwise, I don't drink.

I've been "hounded" by DCL crew to buy the wine package just as much, if not more than, I have on other lines. I can sit at a show on DCL, or by the pool, and tell 6 different servers "No thank you" at least twice each. They want to sell their drinks and get the tips on DCL just as much as the servers do on any other cruise line.

I'm not putting DCL down, and I'm not defending Carnival or any other line....all I'm saying is that after 13 Disney cruises and 8 on other lines, the push to sell drinks is equal.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #79
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I'm not 100% sure of what you're trying to say here....but I'll preface this by saying that I'm really not much of a drinker. Sometimes, no matter what cruise line it is, I'll bring a bottle or two of the sparkling wine I like to drink at dinner, but otherwise, I don't drink.

I've been "hounded" by DCL crew to buy the wine package just as much, if not more than, I have on other lines. I can sit at a show on DCL, or by the pool, and tell 6 different servers "No thank you" at least twice each. They want to sell their drinks and get the tips on DCL just as much as the servers do on any other cruise line.

I'm not putting DCL down, and I'm not defending Carnival or any other line....all I'm saying is that after 13 Disney cruises and 8 on other lines, the push to sell drinks is equal.
Ditto!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #80
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Ok, stop provoking responses! No more talk of political matters, human rights or anything like it. Stick to the topic or the thread will be closed. Thank you.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #81
cgolf
Mouseketeer

We have been on eight cruises and have never been hounded for drinks. We would have loved to catch some of the two for ones we have heard about. Maybe we hang in the wrong spots

Cgolf
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
Old 04-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #82
cgolf
Mouseketeer

Also must not look like drinkers or maybe poor because we don't get the sell for the wine package either. Should I be upset
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
Old 04-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #83
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolf View Post
Also must not look like drinkers or maybe poor because we don't get the sell for the wine package either. Should I be upset

X2 on both your posts. 9 DCL cruises and have NEVER been offered the wine package.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #84
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
X2 on both your posts. 9 DCL cruises and have NEVER been offered the wine package.
ditto on this.
I, as well, would love to catch some of the bogo's. I have to be hanging in the wrong spots.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #85
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42 View Post
DCL is not counting on revenue from liquor sales. They do very little to promote the sale of drinks. We had most of the time to hale a waiter to get a refill. You need to take Carnival Cruise then you will understand.
We were only offered the wine package once, but we were absolutely hounded by servers offering to bring us drinks when we were in lounge chairs on deck 12 overlooking the pool. There were times when 4 or 5 servers called out to us within 10 minutes. DH and I both commented that we didn't remember it being that way on the Dream last year. I know they were doing their jobs, but it was a little over the top. We looked for a server and made eye contact when we wanted something, so it was frustrating to be interrupted while talking, reading, or just relaxing with such frequency. We were also pressured to buy a bucket of beer each time we ordered a single beer for each of us. We typically had to decline 2 or 3 times before the subject was dropped. I have not been on a Carnival cruise, so I have no basis for comparison between cruise lines.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #86
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
Ummm....on the website it clearly states:

"Guests are allowed to bring food items—such as snacks or foods that do not require heating—into Disney theme parks."

I disagree with your reasoning, even if you were right about the parks food policy.

I believe it is a poor choice to excuse not following their policy with "they don't really mean it" and/or "I can get away with it." Also a poor example for the younger generation that watches us and learns from us.

I accept that some (and from this thread, perhaps many) do subscribe to that attitude, though, and such is life. We don't, and we have a wonderful time on the cruises.

This is the current policy as show on their website for the Disneyland Park (WDW may have a different policy listed but I do no visit there regularly like I do DL):

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/dining/

Can I bring food into Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park?

If you wish to bring your own food and enjoy an outdoor meal in an ideal setting, there is a complimentary Picnic Area conveniently located outside the Main Entrance to Disneyland Park.

With the exception of food items for Guests with specific dietary restrictions, food or beverage items are not permitted into either of the Disneyland Resort theme parks.

Yours would be a very valid point regarding my children if they were aware that such a policy is written on the website (which they are not). They do not read message boards where we discuss these things in depth There are no signs at the entrances saying no food or drink. No one has ever even mentioned it to them.

So no one is "getting away with anything." Is isn't like we are telling our kids to hide the food. They have no idea if there is a policy or not because it has never come up. We make no attempts to sneak in food. We don't bring in full meals but we do have some snacks for the kids and bottled water and this is clearly visible when they check our bag. We often go through security with a bottle of water in our hands. If we were even once told that we cannot bring it in, then we would discontinue bringing it with us. We have even had CM's joking with us that a snack looks good and can they share with us.

This is compared to the policy of no shorts in the dining room. Has anyone ever seen this policy enforced? No, because it is a policy they have no intention of enforcing. So why have it? Simply because it you don't have some policy in place, people will show up in swimsuits and cover ups, tank tops, short shorts, etc.

The point of my post was the DCL has to include some policy regarding the alcohol that they allow to be brought on the ship. Otherwise people will take the ability to bring in alcohol to the extreme.

There are always some people, in each situation, that seems to have lost their ability to self regulate their behavior. If left up to the general population, there will always be someone that takes things too far and ruins it for everyone else. Therefore you (DCL in this case) have a policy to fall back on to deal with those people.

And I'm not sure why I even gave my .02 on this one, other than it reminded me of bringing food in the parks debate. The only alcohol that I can remember drinking in public areas on the ships have been ones that I have bought from DCL. I don't take alcohol to the dining rooms and the wine and drinks that we have brought on, we drank out on our verandah
Oh wait, I think once I did put a little rum in my coke on our last cruise while in the room and then brought the remainder of it with me to finish when I went to the pool. But don't worry...I didn't corrupt my kids. They weren't with us on that cruise

But I do admit that we will continue to take our own bottled water into DL until they tell us that we can't

Next Up:
Old 04-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #87
justmestace

Quote:

They seem to catch me as I'm exiting or entering the buffet, or around the pool on embarkation day.
The last couple of cruises, we didn't go up there on the first day, and I don't recall being asked at all. But....those were 3 & 4 night cruises, and most of mine were 7+ nights, so I wonder if that makes a difference?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #88
LimoFam5
DIS Veteran

Location: Los Alamitos (Rossmoor), but most of the time we are at Disneyland.

Best advise would be to order a refillable beer mug and fill it with your own beer when u r in your state room then u can walk around with it. With wine go down to the bar and get a wine glass and fill that up with your wine before you leave stateroom
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #89
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimoFam5 View Post
Best advise would be to order a refillable beer mug and fill it with your own beer when u r in your state room then u can walk around with it. With wine go down to the bar and get a wine glass and fill that up with your wine before you leave stateroom

Having to go back to the room to refil you beer kinda defeats the vacation mindset IMO. I want to have drinks brought to me as I sit in the hot tub or lounge by the pool. I guess some people bring their own booze for convienance and some do it to save money and some do it so they can be assured they will have the brand or vintage or type of drink they desire.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Old 04-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #90
justmestace

Quote:
Having to go back to the room to refil you beer kinda defeats the vacation mindset IMO. I want to have drinks brought to me as I sit in the hot tub or lounge by the pool. I guess some people bring their own booze for convienance and some do it to save money and some do it so they can be assured they will have the brand or vintage or type of drink they desire.

I feel the same way about the "Free Soda Station". Definitely not a plus in my book. Well, it IS better than nothing, but it's not that great, since you have to schlep yourself up there to refill all the time. Besides, I'm a Pepsi drinker, so I bring my own.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: