Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #31
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
If you live by a beach, the beach is no big deal. If you live in a place that does not have a beach, it is a big deal. Or if you are like me where we have a beach 2 hours away but it is so cold all the time that you cannot go swimming, then the warm beaches of the Caribbean is a big deal.
We live in the Tampa Bay area and can easily reach several nice beaches in 20-30 minutes. But, as an example, Trunk Bay in St. John is a whole different level of beauty and serenity. You're talking about some of the best beaches in the world, and one of the main draws of going to the Caribbean for most people.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #32
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLightyearInTampa View Post

We live in the Tampa Bay area and can easily reach several nice beaches in 20-30 minutes. But, as an example, Trunk Bay in St. John is a whole different level of beauty and serenity. You're talking about some of the best beaches in the world, and one of the main draws of going to the Caribbean for most people.
Exactly what u said! I love Anna Maria Island, but nothing compares to St. John!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #33
goosedwn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Op..where do you live? Are you close to a beach? Are you just not interested in spending time at beaches at all or you don't understand visiting beaches on vacation? Or are you wondering why people would do an excursion to a beach instead of doing one on their own? Just trying to understand the question better as it is pretty random...like asking why do some people like pizza?

Most reasonable answer is because people like the beach!!!

MJ
First, thank you every one for the response. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand my own curiosity and better plan our cruise excursion.

Hi mmouse37, I live near the beach but cold beaches (CA). ). I understand why people go to beaches for vacation but just don't understand why during cruising because Disney has almost always have a stop (or double dip) at Castaway. We also go to Florida beaches (for our kids) during our vacation as well so during our cruise, I want to do something else (or enjoy the ship) but since lots of people talk and recommend beaches so I wonder what am I missing. ).

Also, I am not judging any one on what they want to do. People are different, I understand. I just want the reasons so that I can understand and plan better. Again, thank you every one and have a great weekend.
goosedwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #34
DeniseMarie526
Whenever you pack your bags, never forget the pixie dust!

My opinion specific to only me...lol I do not enjoy the beach or the ocean. But I will be there in April 2014 cause my children will be there. Enough said...lol
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #35
PWammy
Mouseketeer

This will be my first beach excursion, I usually do my own thing, bu since I'll be alone with my daughter I decided to go this route; I also find that resort beaches are much nicer than the cruise line beaches.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #36
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH37 View Post
Because we love the beach and go whenever possible.
here, here....big difference between a beach on an ocean and a pool on a ship...
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #37
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskib View Post
Why would one go to a gorgeous tropical island and NOT go to a beach??

I think most people only take 1 vacation a year, if that, and if they're not from a beach area, they'll go to the beach. At least I would

I look at the ship as a moving resort taking me to beautiful places where I want to relax on a beach. If my plans were to just stay on the ship, I'd find myself a nice all inclusive resort and go there instead
THIS exactly!!!

We get one vacation a year and the only thing the kids (and adults!) want to do is spend at least a few days on the beach with some drinks in our hands, warm water, and maybe a little snorkeling. One day would definitely not be enough! Even 3 doesn't seem like enough so we're adding a day or two after at the beach in Florida. But we are used to spending 7 straight days at the beach on our usual vacation. At this point in our lives, our kids are too young to really enjoy a European cruise to see some sights (though we hope to do one when they are older) and I certainly don't want to waste my vacation shopping. We asked the kids if they would rather go to Disney World (never been), a Disney cruise or to the OBX like we usually do. It was unanimous...Disney cruise!!! This way we get a little Disney (as in, meeting the characters) and we get the most important thing-beach time! If we dragged our kids to some sight-seeing tour, we'd most certainly regret it after the first hour of whining.

But if your question is why do people take excursions to the beach instead of booking it themselves, I have no idea. We prefer to find our own way with a little googling before we leave.

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #38
iambrink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosedwn View Post
Can you help me understand what are the different reasons people take an excursion to spend a day at the beach while cruising? I can see if this is their only vacation of the year and they love to hang out at the beach. I really just want to know if I am missing something else from the beaches at different ports. Thanks a lot for any inputs.
I have been reading the responses to your question and it really makes me think, "that's why cruising is so great"! There is something for everyone. We love going to the beach, but not sure if i am going to do an excursion on our next cruise or just stick with Castaway Cay. The ocean up here in NH is quite cold, so any opportunity to swim in warm water is perfect!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: