Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #31
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
As usual Shmoo........your right on the mark!

If dcl decides *enough is enough* and pulls this perk away....you can bet which posters will be the ones wining about it, those that ignored the rules the most!

IMHO!

AKK

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #32
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw_monster View Post
we were on the magic in February and we thought we were not allowed to drink around the boat. We even had beers in a bucket covered up with a towel in the bar until a CM told us we were allowed to drink anywhere including bars. We never bought beer on the boat the whole time. We drank our own beer and alcohol at all the bars, everywhere!! So yes drink anywhere you want!!
And watch Disney's policies change.........
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #33
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
It's been discussed many times on different threads, specially many that bring their own wine.

They ask room service for wine glasses and even a corkscrew, while getting the all hands on deck platter. Then prior to going to the MDR, fill the glass and take it with you. Those many who mentioned have done it, said they were never questioned about it at all, nor charged any fees. This works if you only drink one glass with dinner (last cruise I was going to do it, and forgot my couple of bottles I planned on bring in

However, if you do bring your own bottle of wine, opened or not, you would be charged the corkage fee.

My .02..
The corkage fee is really reasonable. Any bottle of wine I would bother to bring would be more if I bought it on the ship (if they had it) so I will happily pay the fee. In addition, this formality helps with the whole 'dinner out' feel of the MDR.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #34
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw_monster View Post
we were on the magic in February and we thought we were not allowed to drink around the boat. We even had beers in a bucket covered up with a towel in the bar until a CM told us we were allowed to drink anywhere including bars. We never bought beer on the boat the whole time. We drank our own beer and alcohol at all the bars, everywhere!! So yes drink anywhere you want!!
I don't know....I think I call BS on this one, unless you brought a label you knew DCL carried. I don't believe all those CMs "everywhere" turned a blind eye. I could see, maybe one, wink and nod, but not "anywhere, including bars". I think this is very poor advise.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #35
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

My interpretation of this is the similar to the food policy for the parks. On the website it clearly states no outside food or beverages. In reality, they have no problem allowing snacks, water, etc to be brought into the parks. What they don't want is people bringing in a full cooler of sandwich items, laying it out on a table and assembling their lunch (that is why you can bring in a whole sandwich, but not the individual fixings). They ask that if you want to do that, please use the picnic area.

The same goes for the alcohol policy on DCL. They are fine with you bringing on your own alcohol as long as you drink it in your room or one at time while out on deck. What they don't want is people bringing full coolers of bottles up on deck and handing them out around the pool, etc. It was stated before that they had problems with coolers in the rooms leaking and making a mess of the carpets, etc. But I can also see where they wouldn't want coolers of bottled beer or wine around the pool either.

But because they can't be that specific on the website, they include the wording as they have. Mainly because if you don't have something in writing people will take it to the extreme (give them an inch and they will take a mile) and then they will have to ban bringing on your own alcohol completely.

They aren't going to stop and check each cup to see if there is alcohol in it, but if you show up at the pool with enough alcohol for 10 people for the day, they might ask you to return it to your room (and can state the policy as the reason why).

Next Up:
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

As usual Shmoo........your right on the mark!

If dcl decides *enough is enough* and pulls this perk away....you can bet which posters will be the ones wining about it, those that ignored the rules the most!

Where you get caught is not the point.........where the CM's want to help their tips and don't say anything is not the point!................

A wise person once said, the measure of a persons*character* is not what you do when someone is watching, its what you do when no one is watching.

IMHO!

AKK
They tried pulling this perk recently and there was such an uproar DCL reinstated the policy within a few days.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #37
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
My interpretation of this is the similar to the food policy for the parks. On the website it clearly states no outside food or beverages. In reality, they have no problem allowing snacks, water, etc to be brought into the parks. What they don't want is people bringing in a full cooler of sandwich items, laying it out on a table and assembling their lunch (that is why you can bring in a whole sandwich, but not the individual fixings). They ask that if you want to do that, please use the picnic area.

The same goes for the alcohol policy on DCL. They are fine with you bringing on your own alcohol as long as you drink it in your room or one at time while out on deck. What they don't want is people bringing full coolers of bottles up on deck and handing them out around the pool, etc. It was stated before that they had problems with coolers in the rooms leaking and making a mess of the carpets, etc. But I can also see where they wouldn't want coolers of bottled beer or wine around the pool either.

But because they can't be that specific on the website, they include the wording as they have. Mainly because if you don't have something in writing people will take it to the extreme (give them an inch and they will take a mile) and then they will have to ban bringing on your own alcohol completely.

They aren't going to stop and check each cup to see if there is alcohol in it, but if you show up at the pool with enough alcohol for 10 people for the day, they might ask you to return it to your room (and can state the policy as the reason why).
Thanks! I learned something today! I honestly didn't know that there was a "no outside food" rule at the parks....I guess from mostly sticking to these boards, and threads about what type snacks to bring for your families, etc. I've never once read it was against the rules!! Alcohol, OTOH has always been a bone of contention though, even a whisper of "sneaking" alcohol into the MK will bring a thread to a screeching halt.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #38
Aggiefan92
Earning My Ears

On this note, what time do liquor stores open and what are some ones close to the port so we can purchase wine and liquor before our 11am PAT?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
sue8528
Earning My Ears

I think it is funny on this board how some equate lack of "respecting a policy" to a morale failing. I do try to follow rules, especially when my actions may infringe on others. But I don't believe it reflects on my character when I bring my own bottle of water or can of pop into a movie theatre where they would charge $5 or more for a beverage. If challenged I would calmly throw it away, my risk. But if I was going to make a value judgement it would lean toward the price of concessions being obscene.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #40
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My interpretation of this is the similar to the food policy for the parks. On the website it clearly states no outside food or beverages.
Ummm....on the website it clearly states:

"Guests are allowed to bring food items—such as snacks or foods that do not require heating—into Disney theme parks."

I disagree with your reasoning, even if you were right about the parks food policy.

I believe it is a poor choice to excuse not following their policy with "they don't really mean it" and/or "I can get away with it." Also a poor example for the younger generation that watches us and learns from us.

I accept that some (and from this thread, perhaps many) do subscribe to that attitude, though, and such is life. We don't, and we have a wonderful time on the cruises.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #41
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyTwinDad View Post
They tried pulling this perk recently and there was such an uproar DCL reinstated the policy within a few days.

Very true, but a good part of the uproar was that there was no advanced noticed.

DCL will reach a point when the problem is worse then taking the perk away

AKK
Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #42
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue8528 View Post
I think it is funny on this board how some equate lack of "respecting a policy" to a morale failing. I do try to follow rules, especially when my actions may infringe on others. But I don't believe it reflects on my character when I bring my own bottle of water or can of pop into a movie theatre where they would charge $5 or more for a beverage. If challenged I would calmly throw it away, my risk. But if I was going to make a value judgement it would lean toward the price of concessions being obscene.

I am sorry you feel that way,but in fact it is just that and a poor example to the kids.

The movie company charges what the market will bear..........just like all companies in the world....if your not willing to pay the price then don't eat in the movie.

I am sure somewhere there is someone who thinks wherever job you do is over payed, but that is the market price for your job.

JMHO
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #43
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Very true, but a good part of the uproar was that there was no advanced noticed.

DCL will reach a point when the problem is worse then taking the perk away

AKK
And then adult cruisers like me may say...hmm.

One of the reasons I was willing to pay more is gone. I may be gone

Their call.

And do you folks do a survey? How do you determine the beer I carried out of my room didn't come from Disney. They sell it to me, same for wine? Or are you just "assuming" and judging?

But I don't think it is the abuse or posts on here that will change the policy. They will just see it as a way to get even more money....

Why did they add booze to a restaurant in the MK??? Not to stop us from "sneaking" But for $$$$$$$$$$$$

This board seems to have a high view of it's "power"
Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #44
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I will point out, again, DCL's policy

Question
What is the policy regarding bringing alcoholic beverages on board?
Answer
Alcohol is permitted on board. However, any fragile items (including alcoholic beverages) must be hand-carried on board in the carry-on of an adult Guest – age 21 or older (dimensions can't exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep).

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.
Guests who arrive in the dining room, including Palo and Remy, with a bottle of champagne or wine will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

It specifically says "may not be consumed in any lounge or public area". Nowhere does it say "may bring one drink at a time on deck". They ask that you consume the alcohol you bring onboard in your stateroom. Period.

"Give them an inch and they'll take a mile". Seems like the OK to bring it onboard for personal use, in your personal space is being stretched to include carrying it around on deck here.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #45
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

It is not a perk, it is a business decision. DCL has calculated the cost/benefit and set the policy. My guess is it actually results in more sales of booze. Have a drink in you room then have 3 or 4 more on deck. Why other cruise lines don't do this likely has to do with the demographics of family cruisers.

I see people speeding and texting while driving every day. Those are 'rules' that affect people's lives not the bottom line of a 87 billion dollar corporation.

If you want to pat yourself on the back for following all of DCL rules and not wearing shorts to dinner or not drinking your beers on deck, that is fine but don't speed, text and drive, don't fudge your charitable contributions, don't take a pen from the office or take an extra 15 minutes on your lunch break.

Point being, live the best life you can and don't judge the shortcomings of others.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: