Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #76
nugov2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb2002 View Post
Lol that pretty much sums it up right there, although very minor you left off Princess Sophia who is Hispanic.
Don't know if this was posted, but Disney says Sofia is not Latina.

They initially said she was and then backpedaled on that statement.

excerpt from the article:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/25/opinio...sney-hispanics

. The new Disney princess is not Hispanic and not historic. About this, a lot of Hispanics -- 52 million Americans who don't like being played with -- are going to be, well, not happy.


Disney defiantly stepped in it when they rolled out Princess Sofia!!
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #77
ktb2002
DIS Veteran
 
ktb2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central IL
Posts: 655

Lol I stand corrected, I must have missed the backpedaling part haha!
__________________


Wonder 12/21/08
Dream 03/27/12
Fantasy 07/14/12
Dream 10/07/12
Dream 10/11/12
Fantasy 05/25/13
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #78
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,241

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk113 View Post
problem is, Tiana isn't a classic.. yet.... give it a few years.. She's here to stay
bingo...the other princesses have been around forever and Ariel kind of brought the whole princess thing back into focus back...the lines for Mulan are usually shorter than the rest and i dare say is has nothing to do with her being Asian...
__________________
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #79
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,077

Personally, I didn't care for "The Princess & the Frog" at all, so I wouldn't care to get pictures. I SOOOO wanted to like it given it was done "old style" animation. I just didn't. I also don't have a daughter, so that's another reason. It has zip to do w/ skin color. I think the ladies they have had playing Tiana have been GORGEOUS!
__________________
ME-Stephanie (43) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS6)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip




Last edited by ppony; 04-05-2013 at 03:52 PM.
ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #80
Emteach
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,339

I agree, I don't really feel it is to do with race I personally feel that it is to do with popularity of her and the movie.For some reason it was not as popular, I would think it would be similar for Rapunzel. I personally love Tiana (and her character in The Princess and the Frog) so I would have been first in that line.
__________________
Mum (Joan) Dad (Jeff) Me (Emelie) Sister (Amber, 13) Brother (Jett, 7)

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #81
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran
 
disprincess4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Storybrook
Posts: 546

Honestly, I don't think Tiana is disliked, it's just that she's not part of the classic s yet. Characters that kids and parents have grown up with for a long time are usually ranked higher in their minds for importance to visit. Sometimes I feel that snow white isn't liked by very many kids these days. Again, the main importance is your favorite character because everyone is different. And Tiana is here to stay for sure.
__________________



Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #82
ShakeyShakey
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 48

Here is a great photo of Princess Tiana from the Magic - yes, we did notice the lines for Tiana were a slightly shorter than the other princesses but I agree that it has more to do with familiarity than race.

ShakeyShakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #83
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,077

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
But, that's ok to notice. I think it's MOSTLY about popularity, but not all. Sometimes it's easy to dismiss something because you don't feel that way or because we want to believe that everyone has pure motives. That's not reality though. All kids are innocent, but not all parents. Just like the OP noticed, some of those other parents may have nudged them away from Tiana. I don't think that is the case, but I am not naive enough to believe that it's not possible. I'm reminded of some people's evil thoughts when I read a story on Yahoo and some kind of way, the comments turn racist. Please don't begrudge me for being open and honest about my and other black people's feelings. It's just thoughts, nothing more.
Just wanted to say I think you are awesome. THANK YOU for being open and honest and sharing!!!! And I LOVE what you said in your first sentence. I was always wondering about that. If you shop for clothes, a house, a car, whatever, you notice color. If someone asked you describe a person, place or thing, what it's physical features and color are will be a description. It's an identifying visual. Noticing doesn't have to mean anything more than say looking at me and saying "Major-league POOH sized!"

PS: it could also be that I'm an artist and am aaaaaaaallll about color. Give me a box O crayons w/ every single color and I'm a happy camper!
__________________
ME-Stephanie (43) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS6)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip




Last edited by ppony; 04-05-2013 at 03:51 PM.
ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #84
Wendy Darling CA
Earning My Ears
 
Wendy Darling CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Anaheim, California
Posts: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
But, that's ok to notice. I think it's MOSTLY about popularity, but not all. Sometimes it's easy to dismiss something because you don't feel that way or because we want to believe that everyone has pure motives. That's not reality though. All kids are innocent, but not all parents. Just like the OP noticed, some of those other parents may have nudged them away from Tiana. I don't think that is the case, but I am not naive enough to believe that it's not possible. I'm reminded of some people's evil thoughts when I read a story on Yahoo and some kind of way, the comments turn racist. Please don't begrudge me for being open and honest about my and other black people's feelings. It's just thoughts, nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I certainly don't begrudge anyone for their honesty or feelings. I do believe kids are innocent and have pure motives and it is our job to keep them that way by not making race, economic status, disabilities etc.. an issue. I don't believe that there is no racism in this world - but I do hope for a day when there isn't. I am doing my part to rid the world of it through my children, as my parents did with me. I will say that the last place we should be looking for it is while enjoying a Disney Cruise as our happy kids are beaming with joy to meet their favorite princess (regardless of her hair, skin or dress color).
__________________

Me, DH, DS (7)
Wendy Darling CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #85
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,241

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
But, that's ok to notice. I think it's MOSTLY about popularity, but not all. Sometimes it's easy to dismiss something because you don't feel that way or because we want to believe that everyone has pure motives. That's not reality though. All kids are innocent, but not all parents. Just like the OP noticed, some of those other parents may have nudged them away from Tiana. I don't think that is the case, but I am not naive enough to believe that it's not possible. I'm reminded of some people's evil thoughts when I read a story on Yahoo and some kind of way, the comments turn racist. Please don't begrudge me for being open and honest about my and other black people's feelings. It's just thoughts, nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I agree with some of what you say and don't begrudge you of anything....and likewise its just as easy to make the claim that saying "some of those parents may have nudged them (children) away from Tiana" is nothing more than playing the race card unless you witnessed it happening...

just like you are being open and honest about a black person's feelings i am also being honest about the feelings of myself and other white people- if an adverse comment is made or something is not the way you think it should be, all of a sudden racism is involved...
__________________

Last edited by Zeppelin; 04-05-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #86
quickcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edlover View Post
I want to start off by saying that I'm not a racist, nor am I trying to play the race card.

My family and I recently had the pleasure of sailing aboard the Disney Magic. With that said, when the characters came out for pictures, the line for Princess Tiana only had about 10 people. (including our fam) However, the line for the other characters held hundreds of people. We are an African American family and my very own daughter wanted to leave Tiana's line and go to the others line. I guess she felt as though our line wasn't important, considering the other kids her age was in a different line. My wife felt extremely sorry for Tiana, but I assured her that Tiana's line was so short because she was a new character, not because of the color of her shin. (gotta keep wifey happy) Surprisingly, Tiana continued to wave and smile and seemed as though she was accustomed to the lack of attention she was given. I'm just saying
You should have been on the Fantasy in Jan if you wanted a long line for Tiana. It was L-O-N-G
I wish we could have been in a line of only ten people- consider your wait a good Disney line day!
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #87
WVURunner
DIS Veteran
 
WVURunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 861

I believe it has nothing to do with race and more to do with the cruise and character and movie exposure. On our last cruise, we walked by Ariel and were surprised when my 6 yo niece didn't want to wait to see her, when we asked why, she informed us "I saw her last night when I sat in her lap and watched the Little Mermaid with her in the Kid's club. Same thing when she didn't want to wait in line to see Tiana, I never once thought it was race related but asked why she didn't want to wait to see her and she informed us " I danced with her outside of Shutters with my Mommy last night" She just didn't feel the need to wait in line to see somebody that she had already seen. If Ariel, Tiana and Snow White were all three out, we would have only been in the Snow White line as my niece at that point hadn't seen her yet. It had nothing to do with the race of one and the species of the other. Just previous character exposure on he cruise.

My 3 yo niece will be crusing with us in May and I am sure she will be thrilled to meet Belle and Ariel, why, because those were her mommy's favorite movies when she was young and my sister had saturated her daughter with those princesses and she enjoys them. My niece was barely born when the princess and the frog came out and my sister hasn't seen it so she hasn't exposed my neice to it, just as my niece hadn't seen Tangled.
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #88
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 1,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin

I agree with some of what you say and don't begrudge you of anything....and likewise its just as easy to make the claim that saying "some of those parents may have nudged them (children) away from Tiana" is nothing more than playing the race card unless you witnessed it happening...

just like you are being open and honest about a black person's feelings i am also being honest about the feelings of myself and other white people- if an adverse comment is made or something is not the way you think it should be, all of a sudden racism is involved...
That is a statement that I agree with. If we focused on how to better ourselves instead of looking for every small thing that a white person does, then we would be in a better position.I am sick and tired of black people making everything about race, because that's not always the case. But, it is sometimes, and it is okay to ask if it is. I think the original poster was just wondering, not saying that it was for certain. I thank you for being honest. This is how we move forward. Open and honest dialogue can lead to a better understanding of those that are different than us; not hiding our heads and ignoring the elephant in the room.
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)





EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #89
jm106
DIS Veteran
 
jm106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyShakey View Post
Here is a great photo of Princess Tiana from the Magic - yes, we did notice the lines for Tiana were a slightly shorter than the other princesses but I agree that it has more to do with familiarity than race.

She is stunning! Jealous, I want her job
__________________



7 days Hilton May 2009, 6 days CBR May 2011, 9 days ASMusic/AKL August 2012, Disney Wonder 5 nt Cozumel/Castaway Cay April 2013, 10 day split/Orlando IRC October 2014
jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #90
castmbr
DIS Veteran
 
castmbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Davenport, FL USA
Posts: 605

Job nothing! I want to look like her!
__________________
Castmember Laura
castmbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.