Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Gypsybear
It's all about the Villains

We're going for our first time together...I've only been one other time when I lived in the LA area...this was back before DCA, so it'll be new to me as well...DP has never been, so this should be interesting for him...

I do remember it being small, but that's not the point for me....the point is to go and enjoy it for what it is....

And we'll be going during Gay Days week....so we hope to really enjoy the parks with others...

Gypsybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
jarlow50
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynnj View Post
I am skipping GD in WDW this year to wait for all of the rides in Fantasyland to open. So, I thought I should try Disneyland once in my life. Does anyone have any tips? I know it's not like WDW, but hoping it's still pretty awesome.
I hope you have a good trip, I greatly prefer Disneyland to WDW or DP.
jarlow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
greenkai3000
Mouseketeer

YAY! You're going to have a blast! When are you going?

We were there for Xmas and loved it! Make sure you don't miss Radiator Springs Racers at DCA as it is the most popular ride there. Will you be staying on property, if so you might be able to ride it during Early Entrance, and after getting a Fast pass before the pass opens to the general public!
Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Resort Riverside August 2013.

Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012, Off-Site December 2013 .

Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel June 2012

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0960612&type=3

greenkai3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
lego606
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybear View Post

And we'll be going during Gay Days week....so we hope to really enjoy the parks with others...

Have fun at Gay Days! It's going to be my first time there during them as well (though just watch how I get scheduled all through them :P )
Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
L&Lfan
Mouseketeer

My boyfriend and I always alternate trips to both resorts. WDW is our "home" resort but we adore DL just as much! This year's our 20th anniversary so we decided to mark the occasion by doing WDW in May and DL in October! Can't wait!
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
SeattleRedBear
Mouseketeer
An old floorboard creeks, but the frog was in the crick!

I'd suggest hanging out on the Disneyland forum to answer some of your questions. In addition, HydroGuy has an excellent guide that highlights the differences between the two resorts.
Disneyland Paris: 1999, 2001

Dreaming for Tokyo and Hong Kong....
SeattleRedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #22
Andynnj
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone re: disneyland

Thanks everyone. I read the DL forum but didn't find near the information you all have provided.
Three friends going June 10-14 (figured weekdays would be a tiny bit less crowded) and I am about to bust with excitement. Staying at the GC, 3-day park hopper; was thinking one day at each park with a third day to do awesome things again. I have no set style: I ride my favorite rides over and over (though my ultimate favorite Thunder Mtn RR is not open at DL) but try to hit everything. A friend gave me a guide and I have been watching youtube vids of the rides and all the Disneyland shows on Destination America (or whatever that channel is called now). I am very happy that rides like Mr Toad (special memory of riding with my Mom my first trip to WDW when I was 15) are still open and can't wait to ride the Matterhorn!
Also, very excited to see the park that really reflect's Walt's touch.
Don't hesitate to message me or post if you think of anything else that I need to know.
Andynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Weekdays are a far better bet. Have fun!!!
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
Andynnj
Earning My Ears

Just testing my signature

DLR June '13 GC, GDs '13 GC
WDW MK Oct '12 off site
WDW GDs '12 WL, '11 GF
WDW '09 CS
WDW '01 WL
WDW '87 & '88 off site.

~~ ~~
Old 05-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
greenkai3000
Mouseketeer

Y'all are going to LOVE the Grand Californian! Everyone is super nice there! The best breafast/character buffet in all of DL, IMO, is at the Storytellers Cafe.

By all means make sure you take advantage of Early Entry hours offered by the Hotel. People will be lining up as early as 1 hour before EEH (or 2hrs before regular park hours).

When you go to Disney California Adventure first thing in the morning, use the main gates to enter, as opposed to the GCH gate inside the hotel. You'll get to Carsland faster from the main gates , because they hold back guests entering from the hotel gate during EEH for some odd reason.

Once you're inside the park, stick to the FAR right side of the rope that they walk you behind , as you'll be making a hard right to get to Radiator Springs Racers and don't want to be pushed towards the back of the line by everyone who's on the right side. Then get a Fast Pass afterwards to ride it again at night. Totally worth it, when Ornament Valley looks awesome at night.

When you go to Disneyland Park make sure you hit up Fantasyland straight away as that's where everyone else will be headed too. Peter Pan's Flight is the most popular ride there, followed by Dumbo, Mr Toad's Ride, Alice in Wonderland, Casey Jr Train, and Storybook Canals. Save the Matterhorn, and Nemo's submarine for regular park hours as they can take up to 30 mins of your EE time! Then run over to Space Mountain, get a Fast Pass, and ride it right afterwards. This is about the time when regular guests will be allowed to enter the park. Next, head over to Indy and get a FB and ride it afterwards. You can then enjoy the rest of your day at a slower pace. Hope that helps you a bit!
Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Resort Riverside August 2013.

Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012, Off-Site December 2013 .

Last edited by greenkai3000; 05-22-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #26
Andynnj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkai3000 View Post

Then run over to Space Mountain, get a Fast Pass, and ride it right afterwards. This is about the time when regular guests will be allowed to enter the park. Next, head over to Indy and get a FB and ride it afterwards. You can then enjoy the rest of your day at a slower pace. Hope that helps you a bit!
I set you a PM but not sure if it sent because it's not in my sent box. Just want to clarify that you are saying to grab FP then immediately get in line and ride (saving FP for later). Thanks again!

WDW MK Oct '12 off site
WDW GDs '12 WL, '11 GF
WDW '09 CS
WDW '01 WL
WDW '87 & '88 off site.

~~ ~~
Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynnj View Post
I set you a PM but not sure if it sent because it's not in my sent box. Just want to clarify that you are saying to grab FP then immediately get in line and ride (saving FP for later). Thanks again!
That's what I would take from what he said. Also I would do, as it is good practice for getting the most rides in.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
greenkai3000
Mouseketeer

Hello again Andynnj,

I just checked my messages today, sorry for the late response. Yes, grab a FP for SM, save it, then jump in line to ride it right away.

Also, the last two times we've gone to DL we were able to get passes for Roger Rabbit's Car-toon Spin in Toontown while we still had FPs for something else. Roger is one of the few rides that's not "connected" to the FP system... It's sort of like having a bonus FP. I forget which other rides offer that though.

Below you can see links to my pics from our previous trip, bad hair and all. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0960612&type=3

Last edited by greenkai3000; 05-23-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
Andynnj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkai3000 View Post
Hello again Andynnj,

I just checked my messages today, sorry for the late response. Yes, grab a FP for SM, save it, then jump in line to ride it right away.

Also, the last two times we've gone to DL we were able to get passes for Roger Rabbit's Car-toon Spin in Toontown while we still had FPs for something else. Roger is one of the few rides that's not "connected" to the FP system... It's sort of like having a bonus FP. I forget which other rides offer that though.

Below you can see links to my pics from our previous trip, bad hair and all. Enjoy!

Awesome. Thank you! It won't let me access your FB photos but I will take your word for it. lol

WDW MK Oct '12 off site
WDW GDs '12 WL, '11 GF
WDW '09 CS
WDW '01 WL
WDW '87 & '88 off site.

~~ ~~

Last edited by Andynnj; 05-23-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
Andynnj
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your great advice - it helped us manage the rides/queues and ride the best rides multiple times. Y'all are awesome.

I found DLR (both parks) to be interesting: to be honest, it seemed almost as if another company besides Disney is running it given the differences between it and WDW. I found only about a third of the cast members really demonstrated the typical Disney customer service. The ticket entrance/exit procedure was inconsistent and I was never able to figure it out because cast members would tell me something different each time I asked about it. A lot of rides were breaking down. There are no table service restaurants for bfast in DCA. The crowds were very different than in WDW; a lot of rudeness and "holding places in line" for large groups of people. A lovely drunk redneck family called us homophibic slurs and tried to pick a fight when we were at World of Color (which we loved. The show, not the slurs). Downtown Disney was kind of sad, really, compared to WDW. I know, I know, I shouldn't compare the two resorts.

The good outweighed the bad though. Our concierge coordinator gave us a better view since it was our first time to DLR. The rides were a blast and the differences between the rides here and MK make it all the more special. DL was charming and fun and the castle was adorable. I absolutely loved the original rides and their space mountain track! DCA was nice and I really enjoyed Cars even though I haven't seen the movies. I can't wait until they build Cars Land at WDW (please please please let them include RSR)! Re: RSR, I had never seen people actually running to get to a ride (I love Disney, but it wasn't happening). The entrance to DCA from the GC was a great perk and helped us make our dinner reservation on time.

I will definitely go back at some point, especially since I didn't get to ride BTMRR! Plus I have to ride RSR and SM a few more times. Maybe GDs one October?

WDW MK Oct '12 off site
WDW GDs '12 WL, '11 GF
WDW '09 CS
WDW '01 WL
WDW '87 & '88 off site.

~~ ~~

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: