Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

I may sound stupid right now, but I'm not sure I understand what's going on here...there was some sort of a finale with zebra's?? I go to Disney every year and I'm not sure I know if this. I go on the Kilimanjaro Safari's and see the zebra's roaming around, so this wont be anymore?

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Harlemgirl720
DIS Veteran

I can believe it. One year I stayed at Kidani and the Zebras were chasing the Giraffes at 2am.

I spoke to one of the groundskeepers. Apprarently there was a wayward Zebra by the name of Mardi. I wonder if hes causing all the hoopla? He was the ringleader and bullying the other zebras as well.

Harlemgirl720 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebb0310 View Post
I feel like this I'd a dumb question but where will they go?
Honest show of hands, how many people had a quick thought that AK restaurants would start serving "striped steaks"?
July '09 and New Years Eve '09 offsite . Spring Break '11 Orange Lake , August '12 WorldGate , July '13 Orange Lake , Halloween '13 Saratoga Springs , Spring Break '14 Orange Lake , July '14 Silver Lake , Spring Break '15 DisneyLand Grand Californian

dayvewc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaShaw View Post
This is a total red herring, but no, there weren't. Walt Disney created the theme park.
Not strictly true - but Walt's implementation made them popular.

I think Santa Claus Land (now Holiday World) in Indiana is credited as the first park specifically built around a theme.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

I think Santa Claus Land (now Holiday World) in Indiana is credited as the first park specifically built around a theme.
Would you say River Country was the first themed water park?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #21
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Would you say River Country was the first themed water park?
That I don't know. Water park history is murkier that River Country's pool
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #22
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Good to know!
JoshuaShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
CtinaDitty
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
Zebras Removed Permanently After 4 Months from Kilimanjaro Safaris

http://wdwnt.com/zebras-removed-perm...njaro-safaris/

I went on the Wild Africa Trek last summer while they were building the new habitat for the zebras. The CMs said the first time they took the zebras out is because zebras are actually bullies. They actually will "kidnap" other animals and got to be somewhat agressive with those animals. I'm wondering if it happened again.
CtinaDitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure why some of the antagonism @ Disney. It seems they made a responsible change.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #25
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

They were really racing around last month when we went.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaShaw View Post
This is a total red herring, but no, there weren't. Walt Disney created the theme park.
No, there were theme parks in Europe. (Tivoli Gardens for one.) Just not at the level that Walt did it. Walt's great innovation was in deciding that these parks are for everyone. Let the parents ride with the adults.

I'm going to chime in - the failure to successfully integrate Zebra's into the Safari does not = complete and utter Disney incompetence.

And I'm going to disagree with LOL's. Yes, they failed to do what corporate Disney wanted - build a theme park that raked in money hand over fist.

But what the imagineers succeeded in doing was to making beautiful, fascinating them park that rewards the curious and the adventurous versus the average ride hungry theme-park goer.

They made an anti-corporate theme park and got away with it (mostly). For a couple of people (PP2 and LOL) that constantly bash Disney corporate, you'd think you'd be more supportive of a park that went against the corporate grain.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #27
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

I believe (note, believe, not 100% certain) that these zebras came from a conservation facility in Texas where you could drive your car through and feed the animals. This breed was historically "brave" to say the least on approaching cars for food. They were moved to Animal Kingdom recently and sounds like they were doing the same thing.
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
No, there were theme parks in Europe. (Tivoli Gardens for one.) Just not at the level that Walt did it. Walt's great innovation was in deciding that these parks are for everyone. Let the parents ride with the adults.

I'm going to chime in - the failure to successfully integrate Zebra's into the Safari does not = complete and utter Disney incompetence.

And I'm going to disagree with LOL's. Yes, they failed to do what corporate Disney wanted - build a theme park that raked in money hand over fist.

But what the imagineers succeeded in doing was to making beautiful, fascinating them park that rewards the curious and the adventurous versus the average ride hungry theme-park goer.

They made an anti-corporate theme park and got away with it (mostly). For a couple of people (PP2 and LOL) that constantly bash Disney corporate, you'd think you'd be more supportive of a park that went against the corporate grain.
As I think I said,I personally love AK, for all the reasons u mention. But still as a park is it really what it should be? Is it really cohesive? Did they really come close to giving us the best they could?

I keep returning to Walt here. He changed the theme park industry into what it is today almost single handedly. Aren't you just a little sad that he never got his mitts into the zoo biz? But since he was gone by then, isn't sad that no one at Disney had the breadth of vision to imagine a really true Disney zoo? Can't you just imagine how inspiring and entertaining that would be?
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #29
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2

As I think I said,I personally love AK, for all the reasons u mention. But still as a park is it really what it should be? Is it really cohesive? Did they really come close to giving us the best they could?

I keep returning to Walt here. He changed the theme park industry into what it is today almost single handedly. Aren't you just a little sad that he never got his mitts into the zoo biz? But since he was gone by then, isn't sad that no one at Disney had the breadth of vision to imagine a really true Disney zoo? Can't you just imagine how inspiring and entertaining that would be?
Amen...I agree with Pete 2...

I'll respond to Pete 1 later, Mister
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:

Plus Walt used carnivals, fairs, boardwalks and other venues (such as Tivoli) to define what he was looking for. The term 'theme park' may not yet have been coined but what he developed was an amalgamation of existing entertainment genres.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: