Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #46
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran
 
disneyfan888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 920

I dont think this is a racial issue, just popularity. The Princess and the Frog is a newer movie and is still not considered a classic because it is fairly new.
I on the other hand loved it and am addicted to the movies songs. I thought the theme was beautiful and I think Dr.Facilier is one of the best villains that have been released.

Give it time.
__________________





[




disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #47
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran
 
100AcreWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,551

I had high hopes for the Princess and the Frog but my family thought it was an awful movie. I don't know, but I don't think it was hugely popular.
__________________
100AcreWood
2014 Second Disney Cruise
2013 First Disney Cruise
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #48
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer
 
TiggerBouncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 305

Race has nothing to do with it.

Personally, I didn't like Princess and the frog much. I don't like the whole New Orleans scene etiher myself. Tiana is not my favorite because I don't like and am not drawn to the movie.

I am also not a big fan of Brave, and for probably much the same reason don't care much about Meridan.

I am a HUGE Ariel and Belle fan. I like Cinderella, but don't care much for Snow White. I adore Jasmine and Mulan, and like Pochahontis.

I am also a big fan of Nala and Marie (so I guess I am into cats?).

Personally, I don't care what color, race or species the princess is. However, it does depend a lot of what I think of the movie and if it resonates with me.
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #49
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Everyone knows the classic princesses, even older brothers and non-Disney people. Only younger girls and true Disney groupies know the newer stories.

My daughter was about 12-13 when Princess/Frog came out and she went and really liked it. She spent a lot of time talking to Tiana on the cruises we've been on, mostly because the line was short so she saw it as a bonus. The lines for the classic princesses have not only the little girls but also big girls, grannies, families, etc.

I actually was surprised at how many little girls had Tiana dresses. I think her merchandize sells well. I only saw the movie once, recently, and it's okay, but I wouldn't watch it over and over like I have the other princess movies. I couldn't tell you the names of any of the other characters in that movie.

I think Disney does feel Tiana is an attraction as she's included with the princesses. My daughter would much rather have Rapunzel or Merida at meet and greets. Other daughter would rather have Jasmine or Mulan.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #50
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerBouncy View Post
Race has nothing to do with it.

Personally, I didn't like Princess and the frog much. I don't like the whole New Orleans scene etiher myself. Tiana is not my favorite because I don't like and am not drawn to the movie.

I am also not a big fan of Brave, and for probably much the same reason don't care much about Meridan.

I am a HUGE Ariel and Belle fan. I like Cinderella, but don't care much for Snow White. I adore Jasmine and Mulan, and like Pochahontis.

I am also a big fan of Nala and Marie (so I guess I am into cats?).

Personally, I don't care what color, race or species the princess is. However, it does depend a lot of what I think of the movie and if it resonates with me.
Me either. It always bothered me that Snow White had black hair and not a blond!

I think Cruella is kinda sexy.....well, when she is not killing puppies for their coats.

Jazmine is hot. Cinderella is too meek (she should of stood up to those wicked step sisters). Pocohantis is a great outdoorswoman....and I like her rebel spirit when she dated John Smith despite her Dad's objections. But Belle is a sweetheart and you gotta love her. Cinderella fell in love with a handsome prince....but Belle saw the inner beauty of the Beast and fell in love.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14

Last edited by Rogillio; 04-05-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #51
AlexMaxAunt
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18

I was on the Wonder last month. I wouldn't have gotten in her line because I didn't see the movie. If I had (and I will) then I would have been interested in seeing her. I had heard Stitch was on the ship a lot and that didn't interest me because I hadn't see the movie. Rented it and that changed my interest.
I have a friend whose daughter searches for Tiana at Disney World for photo opps. My opinion is she's just not that popular because the movie hasn't been seen by as many people yet.
AlexMaxAunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #52
martinm
Grumpy Old Man
 
martinm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 208

OK, darnit, I'm getting old then...

Your title made me curious enough to click in because racism isnt permitted on any boards I visit...

Isnt is a shame almost everyone feels like they need to express they are not a bigot because we want to talk about something that may point out our physical differences. ... getting off topic..

I'm getting old because I didn't know about this princess.. This means I missed an entire move.. This cant be...
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #53
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."
 
JKMJ441724's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bible belt
Posts: 1,701

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk113 View Post
problem is, Tiana isn't a classic.. yet.... give it a few years.. She's here to stay
I think this is the best answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm View Post

I'm getting old because I didn't know about this princess.. This means I missed an entire move.. This cant be...
NOT ALLOWED. Go watch it immediately. Songs alone are worth it.
__________________
The Magic KIMdom
That's the happy place inside my head


Last edited by JKMJ441724; 04-05-2013 at 12:35 PM.
JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #54
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer
 
RGLakatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 272

Here is my dilemma....


The character you are referring to is simply not a classic character and has nothing to do with skin color.....it's ridiculous to think that is the issue.

However, by the mere topic subject line you chose, that your not a racist, would indicate that you most certainly are a racist.

If the topic subject line you chose does not indicate your a racist then the words you used, "our line" certainly shows ignorance and racism on your part.

It's obvious you have a racial issue with Caucasians....stop denying it and simply admit it....only then will you be able to fix your internal issues with the opposite race.

Roy G. Lakatos, PhD
(Clinical Psychology)

And I put my name and degree status not to indicate status but to indicate I am trained in these type if issues and concerns....your issue is very obvious.
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #55
eggroll
eggroll
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
Here is my dilemma....

The character you are referring to is simply not a classic character and has nothing to do with skin color.....it's ridiculous to think that is the issue.

However, by the mere topic subject line you chose, that your not a racist, would indicate that you most certainly are a racist.

If the topic subject line you chose does not indicate your a racist then the words you used, "our line" certainly shows ignorance and racism on your part.

It's obvious you have a racial issue with Caucasians....stop denying it and simply admit it....only then will you be able to fix your internal issues with the opposite race.

Roy G. Lakatos, PhD
(Clinical Psychology)

And I put my name and degree status not to indicate status but to indicate I am trained in these type if issues and concerns....your issue is very obvious.
Much respect
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #56
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran
 
Douvres Family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 699

You might want to change the title of your post

This thread did start off with a racist tone...or maybe it seems that way to me because I have not experience what you had.

We were on the Disney Dream in February this year and Tiana's line was as popular as the others.

I have to agree with other postings, if that was your experience...maybe because she is not a classic character yet?

I grew up in Puerto Rico with Snow White, Aurora, Cinderella...and Disney may come up with 100 latina characters or "ethnic" characters...my favorite will always be Aurora...though DH & DS always ask me to dress up like Pocahantas for Halloween...lol
__________________




WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #57
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran
 
Douvres Family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 699

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
Here is my dilemma....


The character you are referring to is simply not a classic character and has nothing to do with skin color.....it's ridiculous to think that is the issue.

However, by the mere topic subject line you chose, that your not a racist, would indicate that you most certainly are a racist.

If the topic subject line you chose does not indicate your a racist then the words you used, "our line" certainly shows ignorance and racism on your part.

It's obvious you have a racial issue with Caucasians....stop denying it and simply admit it....only then will you be able to fix your internal issues with the opposite race.

Roy G. Lakatos, PhD
(Clinical Psychology)

And I put my name and degree status not to indicate status but to indicate I am trained in these type if issues and concerns....your issue is very obvious.
Agreed...
...BTW Greek?
__________________




WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #58
Amirah95
I'm ALLLLLLMOST there!
 
Amirah95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,532

I haven't cruised yet (hopefully soon), but Ti Ti never has that problem at Magic Kingdom...we were the only black family in her looooooooooooooong line. Not sure what's going on on the ships.
__________________

Proud Disboards.com Member! Park Commando & Roadtripping Family! Mom of 2 Girls! I my Grandboy!
Maleficent/Dr. Facilier/Oogie Boogie/Scar/Yzma Villains Pin Collector & Trader *WDW Planning Nut*
Packing for Kids Roadtrip Menu Stroller Debate Rider Switch Primer NJ Roadtrippers 2,000+ Mile Roadtrippers - II-III-IV
Amirah95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #59
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups
 
TLSnell1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edlover View Post
I want to start off by saying that I'm not a racist, nor am I trying to play the race card.
:
I was on the Dream in February. I heard several ask, "who is that...she's beautiful...in reference to Tiana. Some, had never heard of the movie. I believe, it's popularity, not race.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #60
Teacher Princess
Aprentice
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douvres Family View Post
This thread did start off with a racist tone...or maybe it seems that way to me because I have not experience what you had.

We were on the Disney Dream in February this year and Tiana's line was as popular as the others.

I have to agree with other postings, if that was your experience...maybe because she is not a classic character yet?

I grew up in Puerto Rico with Snow White, Aurora, Cinderella...and Disney may come up with 100 latina characters or "ethnic" characters...my favorite will always be Aurora...though DH & DS always ask me to dress up like Pocahantas for Halloween...lol
Well said it !
I grew up in P.R. as well and I used to watch all the princess movies and now dd is just a minnie me ! Tiana is one of her favorite princess but now she said that she is as strong as Merida ..go figure..
Teacher Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.