Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
divabydisney
Mouseketeer

Picking a room-Fantasy

This will be our 2nd cruise. Hopefully doing Fantasy next year. The question is what room to pick. I am torn between the dual large port holes or a verandah. We've never had a verandah. And for whatever reason my DS 14 is scared to death of them. No matter how much I reassure him, he thinks he can fall out. But we loved the large porthole in our room last time. If I get a verandah, what are the navigator verandahs like? I didn't think we spent that much time in our room before but for the longer cruise might think the fresh air would be great? Has anyone had the navigator verandah and really wished they had a regular one? I guess I don't know how obstructed they get. Any info is great. Thanks!

divabydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

On the Fantasy, as far as the railing is concern, it's pretty much the same as a regular verandah.

Here's a link where you can see some pictures: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...tors-verandah/
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
On the Fantasy, as far as the railing is concern, it's pretty much the same as a regular verandah.

Here's a link where you can see some pictures: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...tors-verandah/
That link is for the Magic & Wonder. I'm pretty sure the navigator verandahs (category 7a) on the Dream are just obstructed, with a smaller verandah, not the enclosed areas like on the Magic & Wonder.

Here's some links to photos:

http://www.passporter.com/photos/dis...-verandah.html

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=15

OP, I don't know if the 7a is going to help your son any or not. But they should be cheaper than a regular verandah cabin. Personally, I loved the big portholes, but the fresh air *is* a nice bonus of the verandah.

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 04-05-2013 at 02:18 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
divabydisney
Mouseketeer

Part of me doesn't really care. I think that when he gets on there, he will see he can't fall off the side and then really like it. The dual portholes are a little cheaper so theres a plus there. I've heard on the longer cruises it's nice to have the verandah. Because I've not ever had a verandah room I don't know if I'd miss it. I have some time to consider it.

So for those who've had the verandah do you think it's worth the extra cost? Or did any of your kids experience anxiety about it?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

We have cruised 3 times and had a veranda each time. First time was the cheaper white wall one, but then DS had to stand on a chair to see over - not something we wanted him to do! So we paid a bit more (and its not much extra in the whole scheme of things) for the clear wall. We go for a 5c.

The first time we chose a veranda because as DS was only 4 he needed to have a rest during the day, even though he was out of napping. It was great for us to be able to sit out with a drink and a book whilst he relaxed inside. After the first time we wouldn't be without the veranda unless it was so expensive it meant we couldn't go. I don't like inside rooms as I hate waking up in the night and not being able to tell if its night or day without looking at the clock or what the weather is like without going out of my room. Also, living in the UK and not having air conditioning, we are very into having the windows open and fresh air in whatever the weather.

I don't think your son should have a problem, they are very safe. Our DS is no great fan of heights, but loved to be able to look out at the sea. And if he doesn't want to go out there, he can always stay inside and still see everything.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Husurdady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by divabydisney View Post
The dual portholes are a little cheaper so theres a plus there. I've heard on the longer cruises it's nice to have the verandah. Because I've not ever had a verandah room I don't know if I'd miss it. I have some time to consider it.

So for those who've had the verandah do you think it's worth the extra cost? Or did any of your kids experience anxiety about it?
HI D'B'D'Y

I have you some good news [no pun intended ] to float your boat.......some of the varandah state rooms [ cat 7a ] , I am speaking of are the same, if not cheaper in price as a dual porthole staterooms......check before you pick.
We have cruised 10 times now....and I want to say cruise number 6 we where upgraded to a varandah room....got spoiled been booking them ever since.There is no going back. HAPPY CRUISIN'
Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Weedy
DIS Veteran

If he's like my kids you won't need to worry. He will hardly be in the room, he'll be in the club 18 hours a day. He will come back to the room to sleep and then be gone again.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
cwehrstedt
Mouseketeer

One thing to keep in mind, people smoke on their verandas, and it really is bothersome to non smokers. No fresh air on my veranda durning my 7 n western.

Future trip.. 2014, Dec 14th, 7n on Magic with split stay POFQ and CSR!
cwehrstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
kimgg
DIS Veteran

We were fortunate to have no smokers at all on our Fantasy verandah. I loved having it. I also loved being in a family veranda - the room is bigger and the shower is larger - no shower curtain sticking to you!!

May/June 2010 - WDW - POR French Quarter

July/August 2011 - Disneyland/Legoland (Hotel Menage

2012 - possibly a non-disney year due to circumstances beyond my control

March 2013 - Eastern on the Fantasy!
kimgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
divabydisney
Mouseketeer

You guys are making this tough!

We are not smokers so that would be horrible if we had that issue. I already have a hard time with smoke.

I think I'll just do the verandah though. Heck I'm paying for it. I'm gonna have to do some convincing though... Thanks for the feedback!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: