Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Mulan - Asian cross-dresser
Snow White - Caucasion
Pocohantas - Indian
Tiana - African
Jasmine - Arab
Ariel - Part fish
Belle - Country gal with only one parent (she is my sweetheart, guess I'm a beast)
Cinderella - Orphan girl

I'd say that was a pretty diverse group of princesses.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

For what its worth, my blonde haired daughter always chooses a black doll over a blonde haired one. I never understood that. As a matter of fact, when I told her she can pick out any Disney doll she wanted she picked Tiana. On another occassion we went to the 99 cent store and they had little doll cheerleaders, the white version and the black one. She picked the black one.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Mulan - Asian cross-dresser
Snow White - Caucasion
Pocohantas - Indian
Tiana - African
Jasmine - Arab
Ariel - Part fish
Belle - Country gal with only one parent (she is my sweetheart, guess I'm a beast)
Cinderella - Orphan girl

I'd say that was a pretty diverse group of princesses.
Lol that pretty much sums it up right there, although very minor you left off Princess Sophia who is Hispanic.

Wonder 12/21/08
Dream 03/27/12
Fantasy 07/14/12
Dream 10/07/12
Dream 10/11/12
Fantasy 05/25/13
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

I don't think it's anything to do with the colour of her skin, as others here are saying it's probably because she is a much newer princess. She is my DD's favourite princess, she watches the Princess and the Frog at least once every day. We waited for over 2 hours to see her in MK last year as the line was closed right as we got to the front so we just waited for her next meet and greet. She made a terrible error though, she brought Prince Naveen with her and my DD took one look at him, rushed past Tiana and ran into his arms and said she was the 'new Tinana' (this is how my DD says her name) and 'old Tinana' could come home to Scotland with mummy!!!

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
ajh88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Movie was not a hit......

No one has a clue who she is

My African American friend who was with me at WDW wanted to know "who is the chick in the green dress"
I guess it depends on how you define "hit" - it was the number 1 animated movie the year of its release, grossed over $250 million worldwide, and was nominated for 3 Oscars. Sounds like a popular movie to me - maybe not in the realm of a Pixar movie or Tangled, but not a flop by any means. I guess Tiana has always been a popular princess in our house and became an instant 'classic' to us, but obviously not to all.

ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Edlover
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooshoveller View Post
Would you have felt bad for any other princess if their line was really short? You said your very own daughter wanted to go to the other lines. Is that a problem? Would you be upset if Tiana wasn't her favorite princess?
Zoo, I didn't write this post to start a riot. You are right, I probably wouldn't have felt bad if the others line was short....it was because we were in the short line so we noticed it more. Tiana is not my daughters favorite and I'm ok with that. I just wanted to get others views on why her line was so short.
Edlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb2002 View Post
Lol that pretty much sums it up right there, although very minor you left off Princess Sophia who is Hispanic.
Merida's Scottish and a ginger. She'll officially be coronated July 11!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #23
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edlover View Post
Zoo, I didn't write this post to start a riot. You are right, I probably wouldn't have felt bad if the others line was short....it was because we was in the short line so we noticed it more. Tiana is not my daughters favorite and I'm ok with that. I just wanted to get others views on why her line was so short.
Just had to ask! I don't think you're racist. I ran into an old highschool classmate at Toys R Us and she was livid her DD picked another princess doll over Tiana. (They are AA.) It just upset me.

<3

Food & Wine & No Kids ~ A 2nd Honeymoon

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb2002 View Post
I did not know this! We watch the show and I would have never come the conclusion that Sofia is Hispanic. I actually think this is rather sad as usually Disney go to extreme lengths to show their princesses cultures (just look at Brave you couldn't get anymore Scottish! ) but this is not apparent in anyway, she just seems like a very generic fairytale princess. Hopefully as the show continues this will get as much attention as every other princesses culture has.

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
flybone89
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh88 View Post
I guess it depends on how you define "hit" - it was the number 1 animated movie the year of its release, grossed over $250 million worldwide, and was nominated for 3 Oscars. Sounds like a popular movie to me - maybe not in the realm of a Pixar movie or Tangled, but not a flop by any means. I guess Tiana has always been a popular princess in our house and became an instant 'classic' to us, but obviously not to all.
True, and it is all relative. But I would argue that relative to other Disney movies it probably was not a hit:

In NA (only region where I have inflation adjusted numbers), Princess and the Frog grossed $112 Million, putting it around 37th all time for Disney animated films (again, basis is only NA inflation adjusted gross). Compare that to Lion King at $697 Million, Beauty & the Beast at $355 Million and Little Mermaid at $178 Million. No doubt a great move - I loved it especially the soundtrack! - but not very popular overall.

And I also don't believe there really has been any continuation of the franchise yet. I don't recall seeing any sequels, even direct to DVD.

Kevin
flybone89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
Merida's Scottish and a ginger. She'll officially be coronated July 11!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblackstars View Post

I did not know this! We watch the show and I would have never come the conclusion that Sofia is Hispanic. I actually think this is rather sad as usually Disney go to extreme lengths to show their princesses cultures (just look at Brave you couldn't get anymore Scottish! ) but this is not apparent in anyway, she just seems like a very generic fairytale princess. Hopefully as the show continues this will get as much attention as every other princesses culture has.
I only know this because of course it was a big deal in the media before it started, lol and I realized after I posted that I forgot Merida until I saw your picture.

Wonder 12/21/08
Dream 03/27/12
Fantasy 07/14/12
Dream 10/07/12
Dream 10/11/12
Fantasy 05/25/13
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

On The Dream I recall a single line for princess meet and greet. You would go down the row of princesses and get a photo with each one. There wasn't a line for each princess.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #29
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

I was on the Magic last month & there was a single line for all 5 princesses in the lobby. Everyone just went down the line & met all of them. Did they recently start doing separate lines?
princessmommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #30
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooshoveller View Post

Would you have felt bad for any other princess if their line was really short? You said your very own daughter wanted to go to the other lines. Would you be upset if Tiana wasn't her favorite princess?
I dont have a daughter, but i would want her to at least want to stay in line to meet Tiana. Wouldn't matter if she was her favorite. I'm not the OP, but as a black man, these are things that we notice. I think I saw about 20 black people on my Dream cruise in Jan. We are already the minority on the ship, so those things are noticed. With that said, I have never felt uncomfortable and the diversity of the crew really helps that. Even though times are better, there's always that thought about not being viewed in a positive light. It will never stop me, but I'm not oblivious either. To the OP, I will say that sometimes things can be racially motivated subconsciously but not racist. Some kids just gravitate to what they're used to. They're used to Cinderella and the other princesses because some may look like mommy or just because they've been around longer.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (7/2014 AKV) (2/2015 AKL/5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: