Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Edlover
Earning My Ears

Tiana

I want to start off by saying that I'm not a racist, nor am I trying to play the race card.

My family and I recently had the pleasure of sailing aboard the Disney Magic. With that said, when the characters came out for pictures, the line for Princess Tiana only had about 10 people. (including our fam) However, the line for the other characters held hundreds of people. We are an African American family and my very own daughter wanted to leave Tiana's line and go to the others line. I guess she felt as though our line wasn't important, considering the other kids her age was in a different line. My wife felt extremely sorry for Tiana, but I assured her that Tiana's line was so short because she was a new character, not because of the color of her shin. (gotta keep wifey happy) Surprisingly, Tiana continued to wave and smile and seemed as though she was accustomed to the lack of attention she was given. I'm just saying

Last edited by Edlover; 04-05-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Edlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
GS for life
Mouseketeer

She is one of my daughters favorites, and we are white. We always have to see her in the parks, and we have her doll. I am happy that my 9 year old only sees the character, not the color.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
rpk113
Earning My Ears

problem is, Tiana isn't a classic.. yet.... give it a few years.. She's here to stay
rpk113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

You may consider changing the title of your post.

Anyway, I haven't cruised yet, but we have been to Magic Kingdom several times since Tiana came on the scene and trust me, there is no lack of attention for her there. My daughter wants to see her every time and there is always a line. We are African American too, but there are a lot of different races in the line when we go and I have seen plenty of caucasian children dressed as Tiana in the parks, full Bibbity Bobbity Boutiqued out.

My daughter has specific things she likes about each princess really.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

It's an issue of popularity. They are not from the classics. Except for Ariel maybe, but that's because the movie has been out for a while and she has her own rides at MK.

On the Wonder, this past Feb, the last night all characters come out, including the princesses. Most kids were going for Mickey and Minnie, while the princesses were left pretty much by themselves...

My .02...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Give it time. Some of the other princesses have been around for 70 years and are well known...by kids and by parents. I will admit that I have never heard of Tiana till you mentioned it and then I remembered reading something a while back that Disney had introduced a new princess and she was black.

So I think she will grow in popularity. But kids will usually favor the character they can most identify with or want to be. I think more kids favor Cinderella than Pocohantis. Redheads might favor Areil....brunettes Snow White? Boys favor, Tarzan over Peter Pan?
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

There you go!, one cruise and then another!.

We were on the fantasy in November, and my wife a I commented how the line for Tiana, was longer then Snow White!

I also found it great to watch all the kids greetings all the princesses, with the same glow and joy. Such positive role models for the little girls to know they can grow up to be anything or anybody, no matter what color or race they are!

Walt would have been pleased,

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

We are white. My DD's first favorite princess is Jasmine and second is Tiana. I think it's wonderful that there are so many different princesses that we can choose a favorite based on their qualities/personalities and not by their skin color. One of her best friend's (who's AA) favorite is Cinderella. Our neighbors are Brazilian and their DD loves Ariel. <3

Food & Wine & No Kids ~ A 2nd Honeymoon

Last edited by Zooshoveller; 04-05-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
ajh88
DIS Veteran

Who knows why Tiana's line was shorter? Maybe other kids has visited her already, or were making rounds and hadn't gotten to her yet? Maybe she came out a few minutes earlier or later than some other princess? Maybe among this group of kids, she just wasn't the most popular?

I think that kids walk into a room filled with princesses, want to meet them all, and just gravitate towards the first one they see. I think Tiana is an extremely popular princess - which is why she continues to meet daily even 3+ years after her movie came out. She is just in that transitional time between being the "new" princess and being a "classic" princess.

ETA: Our experience with character lines in general on our recent Dream cruise was much different - there were relatively short lines for most character meets - never more than probably 30 people or so in line, with the exception of Jack Sparrow. We waited longest to meet him! I can't imagine "hundreds" of people in a line at any given time for a character on the ship - that would have been madness!

Last edited by ajh88; 04-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.
ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

I would think and hope that it has more to do with the fact that TPAtF is a relatively new movie and she is a relatively new character rather than a race issue. We are Caucasian and I know my 3 DDs would have LOVED to have seen Tiana on our cruise!!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edlover View Post
I want to start off by saying that I'm not a racist, nor am I trying to play the race card.

My family and I recently had the pleasure of sailing aboard the Disney Magic. With that said, when the characters came out for pictures, the line for Princess Tiana only had about 10 people. (including our fam) However, the line for the other characters held hundreds of people. We are an African American family and my very own daughter wanted to leave Tiana's line and go to the others line. I guess she felt as though our line wasn't important, considering the other kids her age was in a different line. My wife felt extremely sorry for Tiana, but I assured her that Tiana's line was so short because she was a new character, not because of the color of her shin. (gotta keep wifey happy) Surprisingly, Tiana continued to wave and smile and seemed as though she was accustomed to the lack of attention she was given. I'm just saying
Movie was not a hit......

No one has a clue who she is

My African American friend who was with me at WDW wanted to know "who is the chick in the green dress"
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
wcw57
DIS Veteran

race has nothing to do with this.....the fact is that Tiana is a "minor" princess....such as Mulan or Jasmine. Princesses either resonate with children or they don't (I don't much care for Jasmine and don't get Mulan at all).

It would seem that you cannot create "classic" characters by simply trying to appeal to the broadest spectrum of race/creed/ethnicity (you pick)...the character must be LIKED.

Of course, I didn't even mention Pocahontas.....and why should I? Try as they might, the character just didn't click like Rapunzel did/does.

Anyhow, as a previous poster stated.....time changes things.

BUT Ariel and Belle reached classic status immediately because their films were GOOD! I loved Princess and the Frog but can understand how kids might not.

and, of course, the Minions, from some other studio, are BIG hits and I don't think they have attracted a large bright-yellow, one-eyed demographic of fans.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Movie was not a hit......
Disney's Princess and the Frog may not have been a hit but (as I have seen it several times) it is most like the old classic Disney cartoons than the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast. I find that intresting. Princess and the Frog has very much a 1950's Disney vibe to it.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Well, I loved the movie, thought it to be a hit.

I am someone, and I know who she is and would be thrilled to see a short line for her as I would love having another picture taken with her.

When we were at DL, her line for pictures was long, and when she moved out from New Orleans Square to the waterfront, she was surrounded by tons of people clamoring for a picture and an autograph.

That being said, the classics will always have a much bigger following, has nothing to do with color.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edlover View Post

Would you have felt bad for any other princess if their line was really short? You said your very own daughter wanted to go to the other lines. Is that a problem? Would you be upset if Tiana wasn't her favorite princess?

Food & Wine & No Kids ~ A 2nd Honeymoon

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: