Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
neg58
DIS Veteran

It doesn't look like that much is open on the May 19 Dream. There are only a few cabins listed in the IV and OV categories, quite a few in the 5's and 4's, but only suites in concierge. Now there might not be 3 or 4 people in every cabin, but it doesn't look like a lot of empty cabins.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
I once sailed at 75% capacity. It was nice. They had the IGT/VGT rates on for about 2 mos right up until last minute. April 27 we are cruising and they have had the GT rates up for a long time now. It seems on the emptier side. Hope so!
Yeah! I am happy for you too! After following your thread from before, this makes me thrilled for you.

Have fun and good luck!!!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
tessa67
Mouseketeer

I feel like my last cruise was pretty empty, there were only a couple hundred kids and only two dining rooms were used for late seating.
tessa67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
It doesn't look like that much is open on the May 19 Dream. There are only a few cabins listed in the IV and OV categories, quite a few in the 5's and 4's, but only suites in concierge. Now there might not be 3 or 4 people in every cabin, but it doesn't look like a lot of empty cabins.

Nancy
How/where are you seeing this info?

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
How/where are you seeing this info?
If you try to book a cruise and pick that one, for 2 adults, it will let you select a cabin. There was on choice in IV, with only a few cabins, one in OV with a few, quite a few in 4's and 5's, and suites in concierge. It will only bring up 8 cabins in any one category to pick from, so you can't tell if, for example, there are only 8 left in 4A or if there are 25.

But in the IV and OV, just a few so to me it's looking rather full. This can change if they've blocked off certain cabins for groups that haven't been returned to inventory yet.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
algae
Mouseketeer

Don't know about recent times, but about 10 years ago, most cruise lines had unadvertised "repositioning" sailings to move a ship from one season to another (like Alaska to Mexico.) These sailings didn't have many ports of call, if any, and were used to train staff and give TA's cheap or free cruises. We were on one from San Diego to Vancouver on HAL once. It was so empty, you could walk from bow to stern and not run into any other passengers--only crew. No problems getting lounge chairs or seats for shows In fact, most chairs were empty. Kinda like having your own private monster yacht and sailing with just a few friends.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
traylork
Earning My Ears

DCL also offers othe Disney employees tremendous last minute discounts to fill an empty ship. This probably works best on sailings from Port Canaveral.
traylork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Your DIS meet thread is not a good method of determining how close to capacity the ship is. The vast majority of passengers are not going to be on the DIS.

One of the most active threads I've been on is the Hawaii cruise in May 2012 and the ship was as close to empty as I've seen it. This appeared to be because while the staterooms were mostly booked up, the passengers were generally singles and couples and not families.

There were only about 200-250 kids on that cruise.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #24
KarenMP59
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
Thanks. I'm
Looking forward to it. Just trying to stay healthy. Lol lol!!!!
She has NO idea. Her bday lands on the cruise. I have to get her to Seattle to fly out, and she thinks I'm taking her down for a pre bday shopping weekend. Has absolutely no clue at all!!!!!
I'm so glad she's better!! What did it end up being?

Wonder 7 Day Land/Sea February 2001Wonder 7 Day Land/Sea April 2004Wonder 7 Day Land/Sea April 2005Wonder 7 Day Land/Sea April 2009Fantasy Eastern Caribbean May 2012Fantasy Eastern Caribbean April 2013Fantasy Western Caribbean March 2014Wonder Alaska September 2014Fantasy Eastern Caribbean February 2015

DVC 1997
Too many visits to WDW to count
KarenMP59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #25
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

I have been on a cruise that had 300 unsold staterooms
Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #26
Donalds_best_pal
DLR CM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylork View Post
DCL also offers othe Disney employees tremendous last minute discounts to fill an empty ship. This probably works best on sailings from Port Canaveral.
One of my favorite perks of working for Disney!

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies
Donalds_best_pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
Cats12
Mouseketeer

How can anyone tell what % it is full, how many unsold staterooms there were, or how many kids are on board? I've been on a few cruises and have no idea whether they were 'full' or not...

Cats12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #28
eggroll
eggroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfirstimers2013 View Post
How would you know if your ship is at capacity before sailing?
On the ships we've been on we would just ask. The staff always knows how many people they are dealing with. The smallest I've been on was 110% capacity. That was pretty skinny apparently.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: