Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #1951
nadira36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMomNH View Post
Thanks for the pics and info on the gluten free cakes. Which bakery made these? Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread? Also, how was the taste?
The Grand Floridian has made our cakes - the Gluten-Free chocolate is okay as far as GF cakes go. DH and the kids really enjoy them, but I am a bit of a cake snob (I make the BEST ever GF chocolate cake) and this doesn't quite compare to that - this is spongier where as mine is more moist - but then really before going GF completely I'd never tasted a real chocolate cake that compared to mine.

The cakes we ordered from the GF taste better than any other Gluten-free cake we've paid money for.

80s/90s various trips with family, never stayed at a resort hotel. 2001 - seasonal CM for a summer. 2007 - convinced DH to take the first trip. Stayed at CSR for 10 days. 3 toddlers 6 adults 2009 - second trip. ASMo for 5 days. 2 Adults 2 toddlers. 2010 - 4 adults 4.5 children. 7 days Pop. 2011 - We can't afford to go to Disney this year. So we're only staying at the Poly for 8 nights. If it's gonna be on credit, might as well make it worthwhile. 2012 - Back to the Poly for 10 days 2 adults 3 kids 2013 - First AKL stay only 5 night 2 adults 3.5 children
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #1952
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadira36 View Post
This was $55 for a 6in.

Quote:
The Grand Floridian has made our cakes - the Gluten-Free chocolate is okay as far as GF cakes go. DH and the kids really enjoy them, but I am a bit of a cake snob (I make the BEST ever GF chocolate cake) and this doesn't quite compare to that - this is spongier where as mine is more moist - but then really before going GF completely I'd never tasted a real chocolate cake that compared to mine.

The cakes we ordered from the GF taste better than any other Gluten-free cake we've paid money for.
Wow! This is exactly the kind of detail I want for my cake (now I'm torn again...I had almost decided that I was going to skip a cake for this trip and wait until we were actually celebrating something)
It's nice to know that they can still come up with something gorgeous for such a reasonable price.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #1953
memma05
Earning My Ears

We are going to be dining at 1900 park fare late this month and after finding this thread I so want to order a mini cake or small cake for my girls!! Thinking something cinderella themed since we will be doing the character dining! Has anyone worked with the grand Floridian bakery on a cinderella or princess themed cake or mini cake?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #1954
Eliserose
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if I am able to get a cake that is gluten free AND nut free? I have one daughter with celiac disease and one with peanut allergy. We are having a birthday dinner at BOG. I will also ask on the DISabilities board, but figured all the cake experts are here. Forgive me for not being able to read every thread for this info.
Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #1955
nadira36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliserose View Post
Does anyone know if I am able to get a cake that is gluten free AND nut free? I have one daughter with celiac disease and one with peanut allergy. We are having a birthday dinner at BOG. I will also ask on the DISabilities board, but figured all the cake experts are here. Forgive me for not being able to read every thread for this info.
Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!!
At BOG there can be issues getting a cake at all - but that being said the contemporary bakery should be able to accommodate - otherwise the GF one. I know last trip most bakeries told us they wouldn't even guarantee GF let alone GF and Corn-free - but the GF said there is no issues at all b/c they make their own stuff and use separate areas. However we do not have peanut issues so never asked about them specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
Wow! This is exactly the kind of detail I want for my cake (now I'm torn again...I had almost decided that I was going to skip a cake for this trip and wait until we were actually celebrating something)
It's nice to know that they can still come up with something gorgeous for such a reasonable price.
Last trip we tacked my brithday on as an after thought just so I could order a cake. This trip we're getting a cake for our DDs birthday - we're there in 20 days, and her birthday isn't until Aug.

Just find something to celebrate and make it so - the cakes are fabulous and worth the cost (IMO) for the wowed looks of other diners alone.

80s/90s various trips with family, never stayed at a resort hotel. 2001 - seasonal CM for a summer. 2007 - convinced DH to take the first trip. Stayed at CSR for 10 days. 3 toddlers 6 adults 2009 - second trip. ASMo for 5 days. 2 Adults 2 toddlers. 2010 - 4 adults 4.5 children. 7 days Pop. 2011 - We can't afford to go to Disney this year. So we're only staying at the Poly for 8 nights. If it's gonna be on credit, might as well make it worthwhile. 2012 - Back to the Poly for 10 days 2 adults 3 kids 2013 - First AKL stay only 5 night 2 adults 3.5 children
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1956
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Last trip we tacked my brithday on as an after thought just so I could order a cake. This trip we're getting a cake for our DDs birthday - we're there in 20 days, and her birthday isn't until Aug.

Just find something to celebrate and make it so - the cakes are fabulous and worth the cost (IMO) for the wowed looks of other diners alone.
See...that's my feeling exactly. I want to shock & awe. I suppose I could say it's for DS's birthday in July, or even my sister's in June. I guess I should probably just call and see what kind of quote I get. We leave for our trip a week from Sunday.

To get a cake delivered to Ohana, I call Private Dining at the Grand Floridian, where I will talk to Pat, correct?
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #1957
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Have their been any Tangled cakes? I would love a buttercream frosting cake with a tree scene of Tangled where she comes out and sees all the flowers for the first time... My birthday is this September and I really want a fun cake..have had my miseries of birthdays and declaring that this one is going to be a blast!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #1958
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
See...that's my feeling exactly. I want to shock & awe. I suppose I could say it's for DS's birthday in July, or even my sister's in June. I guess I should probably just call and see what kind of quote I get. We leave for our trip a week from Sunday.

To get a cake delivered to Ohana, I call Private Dining at the Grand Floridian, where I will talk to Pat, correct?
Yes, you would call and talk to Pat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Have their been any Tangled cakes? I would love a buttercream frosting cake with a tree scene of Tangled where she comes out and sees all the flowers for the first time... My birthday is this September and I really want a fun cake..have had my miseries of birthdays and declaring that this one is going to be a blast!
Just a few pages back someone posted a Tangled cake. It had a lot of flowers and her hair. Check that one out!

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #1959
bgenew1
Mouseketeer

Smile Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgenew1 View Post
We arrive next Sunday (Easter) for our 20th wedding anniv trip. We have reservations Sunday night at Tony's for dinner. If I call tomorrow to order a mini two tier cake is that feasible in this time frame?

Thanks for any info.
Back home - had a great trip though the spring break crowd was madness!

I thought I would post a follow-up and share our experience. I left a message Sunday night after I posted and had a return phone call Monday before 11 am. I believe her name was Caroline, very nice and said no problem for my cake request (gray buttercream, yellow mickey heads, chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse,yellow rose on top) on a mini two tier with 20 Magical Years on the plate.

Our dinner reservation was at 4:55 Easter Sunday at Tony's. When we checked in there was a look between the two women standing there and I thought great - they know about the cake. Not so. We were seated at what they called the Romance Table which had a lit single taper red candle on it. I was still thinking positive though because of the look. We ate dinner and then the waitress offered us dessert. Still thinking positive, she offered dessert so DH doesn't catch on, and then she brought the bill. No charge on the bill for the cake. When she came back, I whispered to her that there was supposed to be a cake. She leaves and of course DH wants to know what is going on.

A gentleman whom I assume to be a manager then appears with our cake. DH was super surprised! As was I when I was told they were so sorry and there would be no charge for the cake!

The cake was delicious and we are still talking about how good it was.

Last edited by bgenew1; 04-06-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #1960
flea1267
DIS Veteran

So pretty!!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1961
monami7
DIS Veteran

OK So we are renewing our vows at Shades of green. It's Tasty too will be doing our cake. I have already spoken to her. I am looking for a cake incorporating the mine mine mine seagulls. Has anyone ever seen something that could work for this. I am guessing a beach theme with the seagulls as the top?

Also we were wanting red velvet with cream cheese. Anyone have this combo from them and how was it?

Thanks
Heidi
Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #1962
Dis703
DIS Veteran

So torn

I have been dreaming about a Disney cake for months, but I really just have no idea what to do at this point. The major dilemma is that I can't eat wheat (my nursing twins are allergic) but the gluten free cake options always include grains that my ODS is allergic to (mainly rice and tapioca). So I already need to do 2 cakes somehow. There will only be 4 adults and 1 child eating cake.

I was going to just do a mini tier wedding cake for DH and I alone out at dinner for our anniversary one night but it doesn't look like that is realistically going to happen. (Getting out alone that is) My MIL is also joining us for 3 days and her birthday is shortly after our trip so I thought I would do one GF anniversary cake for me and DH and one regular cake for MIL's birthday and just do them at the same time. But I can't figure out when.

MIL is only with us for 3 days and we only have one TS dinner planned those days which is BoG and of course they don't allow cakes. To top it off she hasn't been added to the ADR yet and may not even be able to.

We are staying at the BC CL and she is at the BC as well so my other thought was I guess we could just pick them up at the Boardwalk bakery. It just seems so much less exciting though to walk it back to our room to eat.

Are you able to bring cakes with you to any restaurant if you pick up? Our only park days planned while she is with us are AK, MK and HS. And as I understand it only MK restaurants of those three can do specialty cakes right?

I just didn't think this would be so frustrating. Oh well.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #1963
monami7
DIS Veteran

If you are staying CL you can have your IPO order them and they can put them in your room for you. It may be a nice surprise when you get back to your room.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #1964
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
We are staying at the BC CL and she is at the BC as well so my other thought was I guess we could just pick them up at the Boardwalk bakery. It just seems so much less exciting though to walk it back to our room to eat.
Have you thought about calling the Yacht Club/Beach Club # on the first page of this thread? If you do that you won't have to walk the cake from the Boardwalk, they would deliver it to the room.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #1965
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
MIL is only with us for 3 days and we only have one TS dinner planned those days which is BoG and of course they don't allow cakes.
This is from lurkyloo's post #2 of this thread:

Quote:
Be Our Guest Restaurant: At this time, only the basic cakes shown on this page are guaranteed to be available at Be Our Guest. The restaurant doesn't have room to store very elaborate cakes, so requests for these are being evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Contact Private Dining at the Contemporary (407-824-2955) to determine whether your order can be accommodated.
There is an allergen free cake on the page of guaranteed cakes. Given that they're evaluating requests on a case by case basis as well, I would give the Contemporary's Private Dining line a call and see what they say before writing off the BOG possibility.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: