Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Fantasy Door Latches

Can anyone tell me if the cabin doors on the Fantasy have a latch? The doors didn't on the Magic and I was very worried about my kids getting out. Debating on an inside cabin which would mean that the kids would be closer to the door while sleeping. Any insight is appreciated.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Do you mean a lock or a deadbolt? I can't believe that the doors on the Magic don't latch shut. That seems very, very odd.

On the Fantasy the door was like a hotel room with a regular latch doorknob and a deadbolt.

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelsGoingToDisney View Post
Do you mean a lock or a deadbolt? I can't believe that the doors on the Magic don't latch shut. That seems very, very odd.

On the Fantasy the door was like a hotel room with a regular latch doorknob and a deadbolt.
The deadbolt is exactly what I meant. I thought it was crazy the Magic didn't have them. Hopefully it is something they will consider during the refurb. Seems like a no brainer.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I may be misremembering so hopefully someone can clarify...I believe that although they do have a deadbolt you just pull the door handle down and it will unlatch. IIRC the deadbolt was more to stop people from coming in than going out.
I did read one review where someone commented that their child did accidentally leave the cabin, so they moved the trunk in front of the door from then on.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I may be misremembering so hopefully someone can clarify...I believe that although they do have a deadbolt you just pull the door handle down and it will unlatch. IIRC the deadbolt was more to stop people from coming in than going out.
I did read one review where someone commented that their child did accidentally leave the cabin, so they moved the trunk in front of the door from then on.
That may be true. I can't honestly remember. I don't have any wandering toddlers anymore so it wasn't a concern for us.

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
The deadbolt is exactly what I meant. I thought it was crazy the Magic didn't have them. Hopefully it is something they will consider during the refurb. Seems like a no brainer.
Here's a picture of the door handle/dead bolt inside the room. The handle is on top with a latch on the bottom to dead bolt the door. But it's not designed to stop anyone from getting out, only from getting in.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
geekboy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I believe that although they do have a deadbolt you just pull the door handle down and it will unlatch.
Although I always double lock the door whenever I'm in my stateroom, I always exit by just pulling down on the handle. It automatically disengages the deadbolt at the same time.

I am thinking of getting 2 staterooms on my next trip, but we will have children with us. I have been trying to figure out this same issue, although the children are 13 and 8, I may not have a real problem.
Disney Dream (4-Night Bahamian) 9/2012
Disney Magic (7-Night Western Caribbean) 11/2012
Disney Dream (3-Night Bahamian) 12/2012
Disney Fantasy (7-Night Eastern Caribbean) 1/26/2013
Disney Magic (6-Night Western Caribbean) 04/20/2013 (Bingo Jackpot!)
Disney Magic (4-Night Bahamian) 12/18/2013
Disney Dream (3-Night Bahamian) 4/24/2014 (DVC)
Disney Dream (3-Night Bahamian) 10/02/2014
geekboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

Here's a picture of the door handle/dead bolt inside the room. The handle is on top with a latch on the bottom to dead bolt the door. But it's not designed to stop anyone from getting out, only from getting in.
Thank you. Personally, I think this was a planning/design flaw. DCL missed the mark.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
cixel_SID
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
Personally, I think this was a planning/design flaw. DCL missed the mark.
I disagree. Like most design trade-offs, there are usually several considerations. I believe that having the door handle automatically disengage the deadbolt allows for more rapid egress from the cabin in the event of an emergency requiring rapid evacuation (e.g., fire). In my opinion, had the designers gone with your preferred solution (separate deadbolt release) you would create a situation where a panicked passenger could waste time trying to get out of the cabin by turnng the door handle before realizing that the deadbolt needed to be released in addition to turning the handle (note that critical thinking during emergencies is not always effective).

So, the trade-off is a toddler getting into the passageway vs. a simpler and quicker emergency evacuation. I tend to think that, in general, safety considerations have more weight in the decision making process than inconvenience. So, I think that they made this decision correctly.
cixel_SID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I'll bet it was intentional. In case of serious emergency they probably want to be able to enter all staterooms.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixel_SID View Post

I disagree. Like most design trade-offs, there are usually several considerations. I believe that having the door handle automatically disengage the deadbolt allows for more rapid egress from the cabin in the event of an emergency requiring rapid evacuation (e.g., fire). In my opinion, had the designers gone with your preferred solution (separate deadbolt release) you would create a situation where a panicked passenger could waste time trying to get out of the cabin by turnng the door handle before realizing that the deadbolt needed to be released in addition to turning the handle (note that critical thinking during emergencies is not always effective).

So, the trade-off is a toddler getting into the passageway vs. a simpler and quicker emergency evacuation. I tend to think that, in general, safety considerations have more weight in the decision making process than inconvenience. So, I think that they made this decision correctly.
Yeah. Even as a mom of six (inquisitive & busy) kids, I'd have to say I agree with this.

We also have reserved inside staterooms and will be contending with the same layout and concerns. Maybe setting up the stroller inside the doorway would be a good deterrent?
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

If your really worried you could always pick up an alarm from any hardware store attach a magnetic strip so you don't use the sticky and ruin the door one attaches to moulding other to door you could attach it only at night when they seperate from each other they beep like a smoke alarm.
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: