Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

Talking Small victory with texture issues!!!!!

I have severe texture issues to the point where I will gag. So many foods I cannot eat. Meat and veggie textures are the worst.

Anyhoo, since ttc and especially in this past year, I have tried and liked various new things!!!!! Yogurt as long as it have nuts or granola in it. No fruit though. White pizza has become my favorite pizza! Also plain romaine salad with honey mustard dressing.

Well today, I decided to make my salad with honey mustard dressing for lunch. I wanted some bacon as well and part of me wondered what it might taste like in the salad. I was nervous because of my gag issues. I thought well, I could try one piece in it.

So I heated up a piece and crumbled it in. Guess what? It was really good!!!! I ate it all!!!!

I'm so freakin proud of myself!!!! It's such a small victory, but it's a big step for me!
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennywife View Post
I have severe texture issues to the point where I will gag. So many foods I cannot eat. Meat and veggie textures are the worst.

Anyhoo, since ttc and especially in this past year, I have tried and liked various new things!!!!! Yogurt as long as it have nuts or granola in it. No fruit though. White pizza has become my favorite pizza! Also plain romaine salad with honey mustard dressing.

Well today, I decided to make my salad with honey mustard dressing for lunch. I wanted some bacon as well and part of me wondered what it might taste like in the salad. I was nervous because of my gag issues. I thought well, I could try one piece in it.

So I heated up a piece and crumbled it in. Guess what? It was really good!!!! I ate it all!!!!

I'm so freakin proud of myself!!!! It's such a small victory, but it's a big step for me!
Good for you My son has a friend with texture issues but he loves what we call "diner" hamburgers really thin & cooked well.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
mommadebbied
Mouseketeer

Awesome! My youngest son has sensory processing disorder. He hardly eats anything so reading your post gives me a little hope
I completely understand what an amazing feat this must have been for you!

DH(37) ME(30) DS(7) DS(4)

September 2011 All-Star Music
September 2013 Pop Century
September 2015 Pop Century
mommadebbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

Congrats! Little steps. just remember though since you have not eaten meat for so long not to go crazy and chow down on a whole steak tonight. You will get sick that way! just as your taste buds had to get used to and tolerate the texture.your body has to be reintroduced and slowly become used to the new foods you are now eating.

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
Christen99
Wet behind the ears

Congrats! I have two kids on the autism spectrum, and one of them has eating issues as well. Those victories are huge! Have you heard of the concept of food chaining? I have seen it work wonders with individuals with textual issues.
Christen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
DisneyMarvelStarWars
Mouseketeer

Good for you!

I have a severe case of Crohn's Disease. There are so many foods I can't eat because either the texture is too rough for my esophagus, or I just can't digest them. Meat, some fruit and vegetable skins, raw mushrooms, spaghetti noodles (shaped noodles are fine), and sometimes I have trouble with rice and cous cous.

I have pretty much become a vegan because I can only successfully eat plant-based foods and I'm lactose intolerant on top of that. I've tried to do everything I can with meat - add tons of liquid, put it in the food processor, even chew and spit it out - but the tiniest bits of flesh cause so much discomfort that it's not even worth it, and sometimes I start to choke or have trouble breathing.

So I completely understand.

Walt Disney Family Museum Member
DisneyMarvelStarWars is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: