Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818

Having driven through Orlando back in the late 60's, calling Orlando a 1 horse swamp maybe to generous.
You're right...I was being generous

By 1965 the horse was gone - it wandered into the swamp near where they built Dixie Landings one in night in 1963 and the gators ate it
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill
The controversy is from those who see Disney as a giant company that makes billions of dollars, not having to pay taxes.

But it isn't the Disney Corporation building it, it's Reedy Creek Improvement District, a duly incorporated municipality or whatever they want to call it, that just happens to have a corporate entity at it's helm, granted to them by the Florida legislature of 1967, and created explicitly for this purpose, really.

For those that say they would have never agreed to the deal now, how many of them were members of the FL legislature in 1967? How many were staring at swampland, and wondering what to do with it all, when Disney came to them and said, "You know, we can do something with this land, something magical...but can you cut us a break"?

Don't forget - the original plan was to actually build a city: Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow/Progress City.

Universal probably couldn't get a deal like that since they weren't building something the size of a city anyways.

As for the $85 million cost - yes, it sounds like a lot but it appears that it is actually in line with new garage construction costs.
I agree...

Except the "together we can do something magical"

Booooo! That's a cast member tool sentence

Total foul.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 04-04-2013 at 09:40 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

I don't have a problem with this. This garage will facilitate ease of access to locals and tourists alike. It will cut down on the current traffic issues in and around DTD. We tourists will come in and spend money, the locals will use it while they enjoy a night out dining and shopping. Win Win.
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Dznefreek
R.I.P Bruce

Quote:
Over 40 years..easily trillions, many time over!
No, no and no . . . . . . . . .Total Disney (not just (WDW)revenue was 2012 - 42, 2011 - 40, 2010 - 38, 2009 - 36 billion with 1995 only being 12 billion
So given the slide backwards; no.
Over 40 years the average would have to be 25B to hit 1 trillion.
Dznefreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznefreek View Post
No, no and no . . . . . . . . .Total Disney (not just (WDW)revenue was 2012 - 42, 2011 - 40, 2010 - 38, 2009 - 36 billion with 1995 only being 12 billion
I believe Tonka's Skipper isn't just referring to money immediately passing through WDW's hands, but everything that probably would never have come to the Orlando area had Disney not come first. This includes the other Orlando theme parks, hundreds of hotels and restaurants, countless other businesses opened to serve both tourists and Disney employees, convention and sports business... There is a reason Walt got the land so cheap. Nobody else else would have interest in building on gator-infested swamp with no civilization for miles. I'd say WDW either directly or indirectly accounts for at least a third of Florida's economy since Walt started buying all that land nobody wanted. Trillions of dollars easily.
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #21
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznefreek
I got this one...

Your looking at Disney's earnings...

That is just the tip of the iceberg of economic impact.

Orlando was a town of 50,000 in 1965...based on that a reasonable estimate of the "suburbs" was probably 200-300,000 (that might be generous)

Now there are 300,000/2-3 million respectively.

The lions share of that is Disney. No economist, mayor, labor statistician, politician, or governor has EVER disputed that. Not once.

The only other catalyst ever acknowledged was the building of I-4...but Disney picked Orlando specifically because they knew it was being built and bisect the turnpike there.

No major private company has ever had this much impact in building a major city in this country. Indeed the history of the whole state - it can be argued - was significantly altered by Disney.

The Orlando chamber of commerce estimates 3/4 jobs are directly created by the tourism market. That market was created by Disney.
Orlando was a swamp...there were no beaches and golf courses and fish joints...it was nothing until the RETLAW purchases.

Disney drove the whole area...without them - no Seaworld, universal, I-Drive, 192, large scale airport, ridiculous sprawl of commercial/chain retail presence...

Housing, public sector, schools, hospitals, transportation...all grew out of the needs to supply the travel industry with labor...

And where did the travel industry come from?

Heck...the size of UCF and the Orlando magic...

Ok...I'm done

Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
One of the biggest problem was the massive project even at the start (WDW was for 2 years the worlds biggest employer at 1 site) and the fact building codes in place by the local governments could in no way be used for the many new designs that WDW was building.
When were they the largest employer at one site? How many employees did they have at that time?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey
When were they the largest employer at one site? How many employees did they have at that time?
The cost of original construction was estimated at 400,000,000 dollars...a massive sum in 1960s/1970s dollars. They used over 9,000 workers per day in the heaviest phase...the total number being much higher.

It was the largest private construction project in the world at the time...and I believe EPCOT eclipsed it in terms of cost...which stood for about 20 years.

Construction of Walt Disney world was truly massive...it's hard to quantify how much money hours, and muscle it took.

The whole area was primarily a "fertilizer farm" when it was bought in the 1960s. After the EPA was created in 72 and the passing of Superfund...it would probably have been classified as a "grey field" at a minimum. That's another term for a hazmat site.

WDW's is still the largest single site private employer in the US...and only eclipsed in the public sector by the pentagon...if I recall.

62,000 employees with one boss. That's not easy. Without reedy creek and home rule given in 1965...never would have happened. Or it would be about the size of universal today...whoop de do

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 04-04-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #24
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznefreek View Post

Maybe I was not clear!

I believe the point was for the *REGION*..........but just Disney. Without Disney Orlando would still be a sleepy little city and the miles of surrounding swamps would still be just that.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: