Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
MommyTo4Kids
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
Afternoon,

I was wondering the same thing, you get out of the car and hand over a bag which a porter paid for by DCL/Port Authority then places on a trolley, do you really need to tip them, surely they are just receiving luggage for DCL?

The guy that takes the bag from you and put it into a pile... is this the same guy that takes the bags to the proper room??

I can't understand tipping someone who just walks 2 steps from your car to put your stuff into a pile unless he is actually doing something else with it we don't know about.
MommyTo4Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTo4Kids View Post
The guy that takes the bag from you and put it into a pile... is this the same guy that takes the bags to the proper room??

I can't understand tipping someone who just walks 2 steps from your car to put your stuff into a pile unless he is actually doing something else with it we don't know about.
The porter that takes your bag at the curb transports it to the DCL baggage area. From there DCL CMs handle it.

He's lifting my (heavy) bag from my trunk and making sure it gets to the proper people for loading onboard. I don't have to hassle with maneuvering my bags, and that works for me.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
I was wondering the same thing, you get out of the car and hand over a bag which a porter paid for by DCL/Port Authority then places on a trolley, do you really need to tip them, surely they are just receiving luggage for DCL?
I don't, in that case. To me, that is not enough of a personal service to warrant a tip.

If they meet us at the car, unload our bags, and haul them in, I'll definitely tip. But if I walk up and hand my normal size, normal weight suitcase over to someone and that's all that happens, I'm not paying extra for that.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
sunryzez
Mouseketeer

I always tip him 20.00. There are 6 of us and we usually have about 5 bags to check. ( Since I usually bring one with me just in case we get luggage late and we pack one suitcase each) They always seem happy with it =)
Old 04-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
o.k. i have to ask. how many people were in your group, how many staterooms, and where did you store all that luggage during the cruise?

Perspiring minds wanna know.
4 people, 1 stateroom(but it was very large ), under bed, tub, and closet.

I embellished a bit, 8 carry on items, 9 checked, including box.

We need to cut down next time.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Wow do I feel cheap!
I have seen suggestions of $1/bag at curb side, unless you are in NYC, where it goes up to $2/bag. We don't use porters at disembarkation, but they certainly do more than those who take bags from you and put them into the building for loading onto the ship.
We had 2-24" suitcases, a duffel bag and a garment bag at Port Canaveral and tipped $10. In NYC (Manhattan terminal) we tipped $20 for 3 full sized suitcases, the duffel bag and 2 rolling carry ons. Our luggage has always arrived at our cabin in a reasonable amount of time
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: