Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Again, that is GUESSING. Unless you have an actual XRAY they are full of baloney.

First rule of getting healed is to get a REAL diagnosis with an attempt at concrete proof.

Now maybe they are right but they are going to have to prove it.

Now mine is a nerve, so you can't xray that, but I did have 2 xray's from 2 different doctors.

Good Luck!!!
Oh yea, it is truly just a guess. And I'm not even saying that's what it is!! BUT, I would HATE for someone to assume it WASNT a stress fracture and continue to try to run on it!! That's all I am saying.. Like you said, get a good diagnosis!!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
pikaboo27
I knew I could count on you!

Wow, it could be me writing this post. I wish I had advice but can only offer commiseration.

I signed up for the Princess Half in 2011 and was training and everything was fine. Then I jogged my first 5k. Unfortunately, I signed up for a trail course 5k without realizing it. After that the shin splints came and I tried everything. I've done tape, new shoes, insoles, orthodics, a special sports medicine injury prevention running form seminar, rest, ice, compression socks, massage, chiropractor adjustments, more new shoes, more rest, starting slow, treadmill, staying off the the treadmill. Nothing helps. I actually decided to take a running class. Surely after another year of not running, it will be better. But twice a week I get to come in last AND hurt so much I cry. My running coach says they can get me through it without pain. We'll see.

I wish you the best. I know how hard it can be to be held back by something like this when you want it so much.

pikaboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikaboo27 View Post
Wow, it could be me writing this post. I wish I had advice but can only offer commiseration.

I signed up for the Princess Half in 2011 and was training and everything was fine. Then I jogged my first 5k. Unfortunately, I signed up for a trail course 5k without realizing it. After that the shin splints came and I tried everything. I've done tape, new shoes, insoles, orthodics, a special sports medicine injury prevention running form seminar, rest, ice, compression socks, massage, chiropractor adjustments, more new shoes, more rest, starting slow, treadmill, staying off the the treadmill. Nothing helps. I actually decided to take a running class. Surely after another year of not running, it will be better. But twice a week I get to come in last AND hurt so much I cry. My running coach says they can get me through it without pain. We'll see.

I wish you the best. I know how hard it can be to be held back by something like this when you want it so much.
Thank you so much for sharing your story Pikaboo. I know a lot of people get shin splints, but usually they're caused by doing too much too soon, not stretching properly, wrong shoes etc, and once the problem is fixed so are the shin splints. It's good to know that I am not alone in having such a struggle to overcome it.

I wish you all the best with your training too

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I am right there with you. I could have written your post. I have eased out of running and started biking and swimming to give my body a rest.

Honestly I want to cry thinking about my goals being within my reach but suddenly dashed because of shin pain.

Good luck!
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
rmattman
Mouseketeer

I had lots of problems with shin splints when I began training for my first half-marathon. Only shortening my stride made a difference for me. The reason you notice more pain with speed work is that your stride likely lengthens with faster running/jogging.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #21
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runsandjumps View Post
I am right there with you. I could have written your post. I have eased out of running and started biking and swimming to give my body a rest.

Honestly I want to cry thinking about my goals being within my reach but suddenly dashed because of shin pain.

Good luck!
Thanks for the support Sounds like you understand my frustration. I hope that the swimming and cycling helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmattman View Post
I had lots of problems with shin splints when I began training for my first half-marathon. Only shortening my stride made a difference for me. The reason you notice more pain with speed work is that your stride likely lengthens with faster running/jogging.
Actually I find that if I run faster there is less pain Still pain of course, and I can't keep it up aerobically I haven't really got up to the speed work stage yet, but when we do short faster bursts of running in bootcamp I find it more comfortable than slow jogging.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

My pain lessens when my speed picks up to. I suppose I am not as focused on the pain if they come in faster bursts- compared to a slower pace where I can anticipate the ache more. I can't explain this well but I commiserate.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
JoeKir
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to add that before I got compression pants, every time I ran I'd have brutal shin splints the next day. Now, absolutely nothing and it's amazing. I know I'm going to be picking up calf sleeves for when it gets warmer out and I have to switch to shorts.
2014: Registered for Dopey Challenge!
Inspire Fit Living Facebook Page
Dopey Challenge Training Group - looking for friends to run with us!
JoeKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKir View Post
Just wanted to add that before I got compression pants, every time I ran I'd have brutal shin splints the next day. Now, absolutely nothing and it's amazing. I know I'm going to be picking up calf sleeves for when it gets warmer out and I have to switch to shorts.
Compression wear was one of the first things I tried. I think it helps a bit, but not enough.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #25
bennifer
Mouseketeer

I'm so happy to read this thread because I was honestly starting to think that I was the only one having this issue! I started C25K in Oct, but the pain was so bad I could barely walk back home. I decided to give it a rest (besides, the weather wasn't cooperating). I stretched and strengthened. Started training again in Feb and I'm almost back to the same level of pain. I'm definitely going to minimalist shoes after doing lots of research. It's really starting to annoy me, because I really really really want to try the Princess half in 2014, but the way I'm going, it looks like I might be able to do the W&D half in 2014.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #26
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennifer View Post
I'm so happy to read this thread because I was honestly starting to think that I was the only one having this issue! I started C25K in Oct, but the pain was so bad I could barely walk back home. I decided to give it a rest (besides, the weather wasn't cooperating). I stretched and strengthened. Started training again in Feb and I'm almost back to the same level of pain. I'm definitely going to minimalist shoes after doing lots of research. It's really starting to annoy me, because I really really really want to try the Princess half in 2014, but the way I'm going, it looks like I might be able to do the W&D half in 2014.
Good luck! Hope the minimalist shoes help.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: