Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #1816
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjensen
Does anyone know why Disney doesn't give room discounts or very small discounts at POFQ compared to other resorts?
They are a small resort and are easy to fill.

They can share all the benefits with their sister resort, POR, without staying in a huge resort.

They just had a refurb in 2011.

They do not have trouble filling rooms at the resort, thus no need for discounts.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #1817
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjensen View Post
Does anyone know why Disney doesn't give room discounts or very small discounts at POFQ compared to other resorts?
It is a small resort so there are less rooms to fill. Discounts are given to fill rooms. POFQ just simply does not need discounts to fill what they have.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #1818
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinaxo View Post
Hello All!

Its great to see how many POFQ enthusiasts there are! I have never been to WDW this summer will be our first time & I have been so torn of where to stay! I have switched my reservation so many times, there is so much info and things to take into consideration! Initially I wanted to stay at POFQ for its size and intimate feeling, an escape from the chaos of the parks so to speak. All the amenities don't matter to us, we just want a nice pool, comfy beds to sleep in and good transportation seeing as we wont have a car. We are traveling with our little ones, son 8 & daughter who will be 4 by then. The pictures of POFQ appear beautiful not like all the reviews that call it "creepy" or "gloomy". Do you guys think the atmosphere will take away from my kids first disney experience? We were going to do WL for kid appeal but it just seems like a waste seeing as though we wont be in the room much at all. I keep coming back to POFQ and I guess I just need a little reassurance is all. Thanks so much in advance for any advice anyone can give me!
I think POFQ will be fine for your kids. It is nice to return to a place that feels calm and peaceful after all the excitement of the parks. I've often wondered how good it is for kids, who are already over-stimulated, to return to a resort with intense colors and over-sized decor.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #1819
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Basically, as others have said, because they don't need to.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #1820
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

POFQ sells out without offering discounts. It's popular on it's own. So does the Poly. Lots of loyal guests return.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #1821
wdw71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They don't have trouble booking it is probably why
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #1822
kfelaco
Earning My Ears

pool regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemountainmom View Post
I don't know...last trip my kids were 15 and 11 and they still enjoy the slide.
That is the one thing I worry about-that the pool area will be too "lame" and "boring" for the 13yo and 11yo. My 7 yo DS will love it. But my 13yo DS is BIG on the pool time, which is why I initially was going to book CSR, and that's the only downside I see to booking POFQ. Or is it? Am I fretting for nothing?

1980 WDW off-site (DH) 4/1989 WDW off-site (Krista) 5/2007 Poly 12/2013 POFQ

Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #1823
Kat016
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfelaco View Post

That is the one thing I worry about-that the pool area will be too "lame" and "boring" for the 13yo and 11yo. My 7 yo DS will love it. But my 13yo DS is BIG on the pool time, which is why I initially was going to book CSR, and that's the only downside I see to booking POFQ. Or is it? Am I fretting for nothing?
I have a 10 yr old daughter and an 8 yr old son who are really looking forward to the pool...I will be 40 when we go in October and I'm looking forward to the pool area too lol
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #1824
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Not making the trip next Feb....

So it looks like my plan to visit POFQ in Feb 2014 is off........

Because it has changed to a Oct 2013 visit instead!!

My mom mentioned she wished she had gone with me to F&W Festival last October, and since I wasn't planning to do another fall trip until 2014 we were both bumming ourselves out. Decided that my winter 2014 trip just wasn't going to do it, so moved it up.

Makes for a crazy year as I now have trips planned (between work, vacation, and my nephew's basketball) every month April thru October, but hey I figure right now I have the time, the money and the desire so why not.

Got a garden room, with no discount that I can live with even if POFQ isn't in the fall sales and hit up the SW airlines sale this morning to get flights on points. Luckily I can budget up everything else pretty easily.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #1825
freckles04
DIS Veteran

So excited to stay at POFQ for the first time in October!

I have booked a Pool View room, because those buildings look fairly close to the main building. I know the resort is small, but I'd like a guarantee to be close without relying on a request. Plus, my son would be stoked about a pool view, and we sleep with a fan, so any noise shouldn't bother us.

However... I'm only guesstimating the distance using a map. Can anyone who's been there tell me if Pool View rooms are a good choice if you want to be close to the main building?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #1826
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04 View Post
So excited to stay at POFQ for the first time in October!

I have booked a Pool View room, because those buildings look fairly close to the main building. I know the resort is small, but I'd like a guarantee to be close without relying on a request. Plus, my son would be stoked about a pool view, and we sleep with a fan, so any noise shouldn't bother us.

However... I'm only guesstimating the distance using a map. Can anyone who's been there tell me if Pool View rooms are a good choice if you want to be close to the main building?
Small resort no where is far from anything here. From the river dock to the front of the resort is less than 5 minutes (I can do it in 3) since pool view is along those paths you will be super close.

However I think Pool view is 2nd and 3rd floors so you have to factor in stairs or walking to the middle of the building to elevators.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't 1st floor facing the pool considered Garden View not Pool View?

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #1827
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't 1st floor facing the pool considered Garden View not Pool View?
You are correct, the ground floor rooms in 2 and 5 are not considered Pool View, because with the hedges/fences you don't get to see much of the pool.

But yes, Pool View rooms are all very close for access to the main building, and there are very convenient stairways at the ends of both of those buildings.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #1828
freckles04
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info! I'm just still having nightmares from making our way to and from the main building at POP to our room in the 50's section that felt 20 miles away. We hardly used our refillable mugs due to the hike.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #1829
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

POFQ Lobby Refurbishment due to start 15 May 2013

As I posted a month ago, this spring will see Port Orleans French Quarter's turn to be given a brand new look for its main registration lobby area, similar to the work completed over at Riverside last summer.

I can now confirm that the work is due to commence on 15 May 2013 and should be completed by mid-July. As always, please remember that work schedules can shift a little, but that's the best information I have at the moment. More details on the estimated completion date should be available in June.

During the period while the current lobby area is closed, all checkin and guest service functions will take place at the old Bonfamille's Café restaurant, just across the central atrium next to Scat Cat's Club - so when you enter the main atrium, you'll need to turn left rather than right.

Andre

Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #1830
CJK
BL II -Purple Team
Member of the RP Bad Girls Club
Mesmerized by Clay!
That feeling of accomplishment becomes addictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
As I posted a month ago, this spring will see Port Orleans French Quarter's turn to be given a brand new look for its main registration lobby area, similar to the work completed over at Riverside last summer.

I can now confirm that the work is due to commence on 15 May 2013 and should be completed by mid-July. As always, please remember that work schedules can shift a little, but that's the best information I have at the moment. More details on the estimated completion date should be available in June.

During the period while the current lobby area is closed, all checkin and guest service functions will take place at the old Bonfamille's Café restaurant, just across the central atrium next to Scat Cat's Club - so when you enter the main atrium, you'll need to turn left rather than right.

Andre
Thanks for the update!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: