Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #46
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney11fan View Post
Any news if free dining will be offered in may or august this year> what abt if you have the chase card?
Got an email yesterday from Chase. The newest promotion is a room only discount, similar to the last one. Up to 30% on Deluxe, 20% on Mods and 15% on value. It will be released to the public on 4/2/13. It doesn't give a book by date, but it is for visits from 6/13-8/14/2013.

I am guessing any other offers won't be released until at least May, meaning anyone waiting for late August and the fall will need to continue being patient. Of course we are arriving on the 21st so this does me no good whatsoever.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #47
Greasy126
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=RedsDrew;47946617]I just don't understand where people get off on this "avoid us" or avoid Disney World" mentality. A poster made a comment. It was an opinion. He/She's allowed to have one just like everyone else. But how rude to say someone should avoid a certain group, or time of year, or Disney World altogether.

This poster was just stating an opinion as well. Disney offers the free dining promotion to drive the customer behaviour they want. If the result of behaviour they are driving bothers you and creates issues for you then not going during these times is a logical option.

People starting tarting to refer to those hoping for a common promotion as "spoiled or self entitled" is just rude.
Greasy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #48
RedsDrew
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Greasy126;47979575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsDrew View Post
I just don't understand where people get off on this "avoid us" or avoid Disney World" mentality. A poster made a comment. It was an opinion. He/She's allowed to have one just like everyone else. But how rude to say someone should avoid a certain group, or time of year, or Disney World altogether.

This poster was just stating an opinion as well. Disney offers the free dining promotion to drive the customer behaviour they want. If the result of behaviour they are driving bothers you and creates issues for you then not going during these times is a logical option.

People starting tarting to refer to those hoping for a common promotion as "spoiled or self entitled" is just rude.
An opinion is a statement regarding a situation or thing. Telling someone to do something is more clearly a call of action. To respond to an opinion with a call of action is not equal. The original poster never requested or demanded a call of action - only made a statement that clearly you disagree with. The problem of communication breakdown occurs when someone crosses boundaries. When one starts making calls of actions, sometimes that crosses boundaries. It causes people to respond with more calls of action and hostility instead of opinion. Now that you've made your opinion, how would you like it if I responded not by giving you this opinion, but instead by making a call of action? I could say, "shut up" or I could call on you to give yourself a swirlie (another call of action) or to avoid these boards and other people's opinions. But my guess is you wouldn't like that. And I bet you wouldn't like that a lot more than you wouldn't like hearing my opinion. A call of action is not an opinion. Hence why I made the joke about Bambi. That was a call of action to a call of action.
June 2014 - BWI; May/June 2013 - POR; May/June 2012 - POFQ; Sept 2011 - POFQ for MNSSHP; Nov 2010 - AKL for MMVCP; July 2010 - Pop Century for 4th of July; May/June 2010 - Contemporary; Apr 2010 - CBR; Nov 2009 - POR for MMVCP[/B]

Last edited by RedsDrew; 04-02-2013 at 07:16 AM.
RedsDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #49
deadheadmamma4
Mouseketeer

This is our first trip ever booked for last week sept in value room. We are really hoping for free dinning I do think it's funny the people who go 3 times or more a year and stay at the expensive resorts want free dinning. I think Disney should think abought give it to first timers who busted there butts working to afford 1 time at the park and militery. we were military and were hoping for those perks but becouse my husband is not retired or active know . he was honorable discharge meaning he served 5 years his contract went to war but can not get Disney discounts does not qualify kinda stinks. Keeping our fingers crossed for something in sept!
deadheadmamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #50
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadheadmamma4 View Post
This is our first trip ever booked for last week sept in value room. We are really hoping for free dinning I do think it's funny the people who go 3 times or more a year and stay at the expensive resorts want free dinning. I think Disney should think abought give it to first timers who busted there butts working to afford 1 time at the park and militery. we were military and were hoping for those perks but becouse my husband is not retired or active know . he was honorable discharge meaning he served 5 years his contract went to war but can not get Disney discounts does not qualify kinda stinks. Keeping our fingers crossed for something in sept!
First, I thank your husband for his dedicated service to our country and I thank you and your extended family for all the sacrifices made. Your family is very blessed to have a couragous young man as part of their family. I am sorry to hear about your dilemma. Honestly, I don't know how the discounts work for service men and women but have you tried Shades of Green? I think they too offer promotions for our military.

I do know that last year I was at Disney the last week of August and they had pamphlets offering a bounce back with free dining starting sometime the end of this August. Keep your eyes peeled over the next 8 weeks. Maybe Disney will open this special to the general public. If they do, I am certain you can call Disney (if you booked through them), to add the free dining. If you booked through an agent, then you will have to call them. Good luck, and again, many thanks for keeping our country safe!

I am no expert on Disney, but we have been fortunate enough to have gone several times. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

However the outcome, I wish you and your family a magical time

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #51
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see you are new to the boards.

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #52
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Worth remembering that free dining options are not always the same for different countries. UK free dining options seem to be on different dates than the US ones so avoiding free dining periods might not be as easy as you think.
ScotsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #53
Katmat75
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you are going in September you can stay at Shades of Green and also buy your discounted park tickets there. In the months of January and September all veterans with an honorable discharge can take advantage of this offer. You just need to bring a copy of your DD214 with you! Very nice resort also!

August 1999 - CBR, August 2001 - CBR,August 2003 - AS, August 2004 - CBR, August 2005 - CBR, August 2006 - CBR, Nov/Dec 2006 - SOG, August 2007 - CBR,August 2009 - CBR Offsite August 2010 ASMu September 2012 ASMu September 2013
Katmat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #54
Angela72181
Mouseketeer

Shades of Green

Kat....My dad looked into Shades of Green but because he didn't Retire from the Services he didn't qualify. He was looking at taking my sister for a few days but that isn't going to happen now.
Angela72181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #55
Katmat75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela72181 View Post
Kat....My dad looked into Shades of Green but because he didn't Retire from the Services he didn't qualify. He was looking at taking my sister for a few days but that isn't going to happen now.
Angela, It's only during the months of January and September. My husband did not retire from the service either but we were able to stay there in September last year by showing his honorable discharge on his DD214. We have reservations again for this September too. Go to the shadesofgreen.org and it's on their site about this. Also there is 30% off rates during September!

August 1999 - CBR, August 2001 - CBR,August 2003 - AS, August 2004 - CBR, August 2005 - CBR, August 2006 - CBR, Nov/Dec 2006 - SOG, August 2007 - CBR,August 2009 - CBR Offsite August 2010 ASMu September 2012 ASMu September 2013
Katmat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #56
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Bunch View Post
This is what I was replying to. At the time I found offense to the "people who may be disinclined to do so if no free dining" as offensive, as that is me. After his second reply i realized he did not mean to offend.
yeah...i came off wrong a little bit there...

I was harkening back to the slow months...such as september or january...several years ago when free dining was heavily in use.

They gave out the free dining like candy...so while in the past people would choose what types of meals they would want to purchase - sit downs, quickserves, and a mixture of both - now all of a sudden they would bombard their sitdowns with "credits" that people had to use. Not to say that they werent used before...but now i think it altered the patterns to force full booking of the table service restaurants - a theory at the time was that it encouraged people to the "higher profit" of the quickserves by setting a pattern where people were discouraged from attempting to walk in the table service...a decent theory.

It wasn't a commentary on the "type" of people eating in the restaurants - buy and large everyone at WDW falls into the same category or class. And the class is "those who like disney"

But they had their food patterns basically given to them by CRO upfront. The places were packed...college program kids were outside with their arms in the air yelling that they were "booked up" at 5:00 and yelling out to the masses where the quickserves where.

That's not a knock on the quality of food or what people chose to spend their money or time doing...it was just a horrible looking "show" by Disney. Ruins what to many of us was an important part of the experience.

It also has in the past encouraged "right to left" ordering in the table service restaurants...which has opened the door to some price gouging on the menus by disney...if a smaller portion cares about the cost because many or most arent "paying" them at the time of the meals...we'll just go ahead and gouge the others.

And they have done that...i just went through the price increases last week and they are shocking to me. Not much shocks me within the realm of the rodent.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #57
mickey2000
Pin trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
yeah...i came off wrong a little bit there...

I was harkening back to the slow months...such as september or january...several years ago when free dining was heavily in use.

They gave out the free dining like candy...so while in the past people would choose what types of meals they would want to purchase - sit downs, quickserves, and a mixture of both - now all of a sudden they would bombard their sitdowns with "credits" that people had to use. Not to say that they werent used before...but now i think it altered the patterns to force full booking of the table service restaurants - a theory at the time was that it encouraged people to the "higher profit" of the quickserves by setting a pattern where people were discouraged from attempting to walk in the table service...a decent theory.

It wasn't a commentary on the "type" of people eating in the restaurants - buy and large everyone at WDW falls into the same category or class. And the class is "those who like disney"

But they had their food patterns basically given to them by CRO upfront. The places were packed...college program kids were outside with their arms in the air yelling that they were "booked up" at 5:00 and yelling out to the masses where the quickserves where.

That's not a knock on the quality of food or what people chose to spend their money or time doing...it was just a horrible looking "show" by Disney. Ruins what to many of us was an important part of the experience.

It also has in the past encouraged "right to left" ordering in the table service restaurants...which has opened the door to some price gouging on the menus by disney...if a smaller portion cares about the cost because many or most arent "paying" them at the time of the meals...we'll just go ahead and gouge the others.

And they have done that...i just went through the price increases last week and they are shocking to me. Not much shocks me within the realm of the rodent.
mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #58
deadheadmamma4
Mouseketeer

They don't have DDP for shades
deadheadmamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #59
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Quote:
They don't have DDP for shades
Deadheadmamma4 - There are always alternatives to purchasing the dining plan. One year when we went, we figured out that we actually wouldn't have spent as much on food as we did to buy the plan. Portions are big, so sharing is always an option. You can pack snacks and even PB&J sandwiches to bring with you to the parks. Poptarts and small multi packs of cereal boxs make great (and QUICK) breakfasts. Bring a water bottle and refill it (if you can stand the taste of the water - doesn't bother us, but I know some mind it). If a free dining plan is what your trip hinges on, sit down and figure out just how much you might really spend on food for the duration of your trip.

We live on a budget, but when it comes to going to WDW...we do all that we can to get there!

Good luck!

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
hebbynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #60
WDW1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Hi, I was enjoying reading your post but I can't understand the above paragraph. Must be my thick head. I think I understand that 'aren't "paying" them' means people paying for meals with the DDP, but I don't know what right to left ordering is.
1979 June: Days Lodge Kissimmee - 1991 August: Rental house Orlando - 1997 May: Dixie Landings - 1998 May: Dixie Landings and Polynesian - 1999 July: Wilderness Lodge - 2000 May: Wilderness Lodge, Dixie Landings and Grand Floridian - 2002 April: Dixie Landings - 2002 May: Newport Bay Club at Disneyland Paris - 2003 May: Residence Inn LBV - 2004 April: Villas at Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club Villas - 2005 January/Feb: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Royal Pacific, Hilton - 2005 May: Hampton Inn and Riverside (POR) - 2006 January: Fort Wilderness Cabins and Beach Club Villas - 2007 March: Riverside (POR) - 2008 May: Pop Century - 2008 August: Embassy Suites Int'l Drive - 2009 July: Disneyland Hotel Hong Kong - 2009 Christmas: Wilderness Lodge and Homewood Suites - 2011 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2012 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2013 August: Contemporary, Riverside (POR) - 2014 March: Riverside (POR)
WDW1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free dining

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: