Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #31
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,831
DISboards Moderator

I have it on good authority that the pictures showing what looks like a Guest Assistance Card were an error and will be changed.

Guests with Service Dogs don't need a GAC unless they have other needs that are not met by having their dog with them in line.

It is a new webpage and it's possible they will not add the kennel information until all of them are in place.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #32
dgauthier
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3

I have a legal service animal trained by a certified trainer for low blood sugar. I worry about my highs naturally but what I really worry about is my severe lows which I get on a regular basis and could be life threatening. Sasha gives me valuable time to colorectal the issue. She does wear her vest with her picture I'd from NASAR on it, the barcode on the I'd links to her training certificates, my doctors request for the service animal, vet records. Her authenticity as a service animal can be traced, if someone just asks me and does not assume since my disability is not staring them in the face and she is just a pet along for a good time
dgauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #33
gilesmt
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
I have a legal service animal trained by a certified trainer for low blood sugar. I worry about my highs naturally but what I really worry about is my severe lows which I get on a regular basis and could be life threatening. Sasha gives me valuable time to colorectal the issue. She does wear her vest with her picture I'd from NASAR on it, the barcode on the I'd links to her training certificates, my doctors request for the service animal, vet records. Her authenticity as a service animal can be traced, if someone just asks me and does not assume since my disability is not staring them in the face and she is just a pet along for a good time
The problem is showing the card. I have a card and picture also from the school I got her from. But anyone can buy a card on line there are many web sites that give you a card, a vest and even a harness for the blind, if you look hard enough. Maybe I am in the wrong frame of mind but my thinking is, I refuse to show the card because I want to protect the right of all service animals. By law a card can not be asked for, I think there may be an exception, I think airlines can and do ask for cards, I have had to show it to have my dog in cabin. But if I start showing it to others at will they will expect it and by law there are "legal" service dogs that are not trained in schools or by trainers, I do not what the right of a person with a disability not like mine to not have that right to train there own dog, so I refuse since by law they can not ask and by law they do not have to have a card, or be registered, or be certified or even trained by a professional.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #34
dgauthier
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmt View Post
The problem is showing the card. I have a card and picture also from the school I got her from. But anyone can buy a card on line there are many web sites that give you a card, a vest and even a harness for the blind, if you look hard enough. Maybe I am in the wrong frame of mind but my thinking is, I refuse to show the card because I want to protect the right of all service animals. By law a card can not be asked for, I think there may be an exception, I think airlines can and do ask for cards, I have had to show it to have my dog in cabin. But if I start showing it to others at will they will expect it and by law there are "legal" service dogs that are not trained in schools or by trainers, I do not what the right of a person with a disability not like mine to not have that right to train there own dog, so I refuse since by law they can not ask and by law they do not have to have a card, or be registered, or be certified or even trained by a professional.
I understand what you are saying now I misunderstood, I agree I have no problem with showing the card to who truely needs to know. I do get tired of the rude comments like why does he have a dog he can see. So I fine myself doing alot of educational talks so folks know that service dogs are being trained for many other functions now. Like others after spending the thousands of dollars out of my pocket to get my service animal since insurance would not pay, I use her. She flies on all my trips, and she resides in her own part of our office we share (LOL) I do have to agree with you about folks just getting a dog slapping a vest (if they even bother wit doing that) and calling it a service animal. It does make it harder for those of us with a true service animal to get in to places at times.
dgauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #35
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,831
DISboards Moderator

This is from the ADA pge I linked to previously:

Service Animals Must Be Under Control

Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animalís work or the individualís disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.

Inquiries, Exclusions, Charges, and Other Specific Rules Related to Service Animals

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the personís disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #36
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?
 
buffettgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GreatWoods parking lot.
Posts: 3,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
I understand what you are saying now I misunderstood, I agree I have no problem with showing the card to who truely needs to know. I do get tired of the rude comments like why does he have a dog he can see. So I fine myself doing alot of educational talks so folks know that service dogs are being trained for many other functions now. Like others after spending the thousands of dollars out of my pocket to get my service animal since insurance would not pay, I use her. She flies on all my trips, and she resides in her own part of our office we share (LOL) I do have to agree with you about folks just getting a dog slapping a vest (if they even bother wit doing that) and calling it a service animal. It does make it harder for those of us with a true service animal to get in to places at times.
The problem is that there is no regulation on the companies that train these dogs. The service dog industry for other needs other than vision is unregulated and often scammy. You may believe that you have a "true service animal" (and I am not disputing that fact) but paying a trainer thousands of a dollars doesn't make it any more or less legitimate than any other person saying that their household pet alerts for lows. Heck, our cat alerts for highs. I could bring him along and say he's a service animal. So simply having paperwork from a trainer is really no better than printing a piece of paper off the internet saying "service animal" or slapping a vest on the animal.

I would greatly like to see some regulation for all these places that are training animals - and more importantly, for the ones who are taking people's money and giving them untrained pets.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #37
dgauthier
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
The problem is that there is no regulation on the companies that train these dogs. The service dog industry for other needs other than vision is unregulated and often scammy. You may believe that you have a "true service animal" (and I am not disputing that fact) but paying a trainer thousands of a dollars doesn't make it any more or less legitimate than any other person saying that their household pet alerts for lows. Heck, our cat alerts for highs. I could bring him along and say he's a service animal. So simply having paperwork from a trainer is really no better than printing a piece of paper off the internet saying "service animal" or slapping a vest on the animal.

I would greatly like to see some regulation for all these places that are training animals - and more importantly, for the ones who are taking people's money and giving them untrained pets.
Like you stated you had to go to school with your service animal I spent three week at this facility working with my service animal before this non-profit foundation would even consider the animal leaving with me, an I know you are not disputing what she does for me but even a service animal for the blind can buy an ID online. I think you are right about better regulations but on all service animals even the ones for the blind. But it is statements like "paying a trainer thousands of a dollars doesn't make it any more or less legitimate than any other person saying that their household pet alerts for lows. Heck, our cat alerts for highs. I could bring him along and say he's a service animal"[/B][/B], is really an insult to my honesty and all the hard work put into trying to get service animals for folks with my disability and and it only re-enforces the ugly comments I already get when I have my service animal with me working. So is the problem that you do not believe a servce animal can do anything other than lead a blind person, or is it as you said now everyone will have a service animal in the parks.
dgauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #38
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,831
DISboards Moderator

This is a good article about choosing a service dog provider, costs, etc.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/22/he...ient.html?_r=0
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #39
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?
 
buffettgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GreatWoods parking lot.
Posts: 3,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Like you stated you had to go to school with your service animal I spent three week at this facility working with my service animal before this non-profit foundation would even consider the animal leaving with me, an I know you are not disputing what she does for me but even a service animal for the blind can buy an ID online. I think you are right about better regulations but on all service animals even the ones for the blind. But it is statements like "paying a trainer thousands of a dollars doesn't make it any more or less legitimate than any other person saying that their household pet alerts for lows. Heck, our cat alerts for highs. I could bring him along and say he's a service animal"[/B][/B], is really an insult to my honesty and all the hard work put into trying to get service animals for folks with my disability and and it only re-enforces the ugly comments I already get when I have my service animal with me working. So is the problem that you do not believe a servce animal can do anything other than lead a blind person, or is it as you said now everyone will have a service animal in the parks.
I'm sorry, you've totally misunderstood what I was saying.

I do not have a service dog , however, I closely follow the diabetes service dog industry and I have seen more than one instance where companies have taken thousands of dollars from people and then have returned them untrained dogs. And when the customers go to get their money back, the company is gone. It's happened more than once and the lawsuits are all out there to be seen.

I'm not implying that dogs cannot alert for low and high blood sugar - there is nothing that would indicate that they can't do it. Dogs have keen capabilities that even a non-dog person like myself can understand. And I am serious when I say that our cat will leave my son's bedroom at night when he's high. Every time. he's sensing something that we can't. But I have seen first hand far too many people be taken in by claims made my less than reputable fly by night companies promising the world.

But, my basic point is that the service dog industry is not regulated in any way. There are reputable places, you seem to have found one. But the papers the provide saying your dog is trained are no better than a paper printed off the internet. Since these companies can make whatever claims they want to make there is absolutely no way for a consumer or a company like Disney to know the difference.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #40
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,407

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
I have a legal service animal trained by a certified trainer for low blood sugar. I worry about my highs naturally but what I really worry about is my severe lows which I get on a regular basis and could be life threatening. Sasha gives me valuable time to colorectal the issue....


Auto-correct strikes again!
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #41
Piper
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,892

I spent 4 weeks with my dog and trainer before we were "officially paired." There were many things they checked and taught me about handling the dog. Sometimes people think I am harsh when I correct her, but I cannot have her regress. (And a correction is just a "NO" and repeat what she needs to do in a stern voice.....not hitting, etc.) It rarely happens but I liken it to an older child testing his parents to see if he can get away with something he knows is wrong.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.