Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Southern California Theme Parks
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
lilibc
Earning My Ears

Hotel recommendations in San Diego?

Hello!

We are spending the first 7 nights of our trip at the Disneyland Hotel, then are travelling to San Diego for 4 nights (Sun-Thurs.). We are going to do San Diego zoo and Sea World, but are just starting to plan this leg of our trip.......

I have no idea where to start in thinking about which hotel to stay in. Somewhere near these locations would be good, although I suppose that isn't completely necessary as we will have a rental car.

Somewhere nice to get the most out of our 4 days there? It will have to be middle of the road kind of place for budget as we're splurging and spending most on the Disneyland Hotel. We're not too picky as long as it's clean (MUST be nice and clean!) and somewhat updated.

Any suggestions or tips on where to consider/start looking?

Thank you!
lilibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

I'm not very useful with hotel recommendations since I live here (don't need hotels), but you'll want to search the Hotel Circle, Downtown, or Mission Beach areas for proximity to those attractions
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
cindymindy
Earning My Ears

We stayed at The Dana on Mission Bay and loved it! You over look the water, the marina is across the street, great restaurant and we could see the nightly fireworks at SeaWorld from our room! Friends and family of ours have stayed at Paradise Point Resort and it is STUNNING but out of our price point. You can stay in huts on private beaches! Hope this helps!

November, 2014:POP Century, Wine and Dine Half Marathon! July, 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge June, 2013: POP Century 2012: Caribbean Beach 2007: Grand Floridian 2001: Coronado Springs 2000: Port Orleans: French Quarter 1999: Caribbean Beach 1998: Coronado Springs 1990: Off property 1987: Off property
cindymindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Purrkins
Mouseketeer

Try the Embassy Suites in Downtown San Diego. Central, close to zoo and Sea World as well as dining and the harbor.

Hotel Circle will tend to run a bit cheaper but it's sprawl with nothing walkable in the area.

Or try VRBO and rent a condo on the beach.
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
lilibc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrkins View Post
Try the Embassy Suites in Downtown San Diego. Central, close to zoo and Sea World as well as dining and the harbor.

Hotel Circle will tend to run a bit cheaper but it's sprawl with nothing walkable in the area.

Or try VRBO and rent a condo on the beach.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

What is "VRBO?" A condo sounds nice.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
buck0086
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindymindy View Post
We stayed at The Dana on Mission Bay and loved it! You over look the water, the marina is across the street, great restaurant and we could see the nightly fireworks at SeaWorld from our room! Friends and family of ours have stayed at Paradise Point Resort and it is STUNNING but out of our price point. You can stay in huts on private beaches! Hope this helps!
We also stayed at the Dana Inn just a few days ago. Very close to Sea World, nice rooms and views, great pool area, and friendly staff. We waited for a prepay special and a deluxe room cost less than the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn. Although there is no complimentary breakfast, the accommodations were far superior.

Good luck!

Buck
buck0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Purrkins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibc View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

What is "VRBO?" A condo sounds nice.
VRBO is a website that stands for Vacation Rental By Owner. It's always our first go-to site when traveling abroad or for an extended trip. Something about coming home to real "home" is nice for us.

There are also some insane deals. Of course, you need to be willing to forgo things like housekeeping or a concierge desk... but sometimes you get things like a private pool on the beach in Maui for half the price of a hotel...
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Zbugz
Thinking about In n Out Burgers and Sunshine

We stayed at the Residence Inn San Diego Scripps Poway Parkway in January and had a fantastic stay. It is #2 on Tripadvisor. I don't have time to write a detailed review here, but please check it out. It is a 15 min. drive into town.
Zbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
BlueFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbugz
We stayed at the Residence Inn San Diego Scripps Poway Parkway in January and had a fantastic stay. It is #2 on Tripadvisor. I don't have time to write a detailed review here, but please check it out. It is a 15 min. drive into town.
I would love to hear more on this. We want a suite and so have reserved here on points. Please describe the local area and dining options too if you have time. I'm glad to hear a DIS recommendation.
5/2-5/7/10 - WL ~ 5/25-6/4/13 - San Diego/Disneyland ~ 8/3-8/6/14 - WL Mommy/Daughter Trip

BlueFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
lilibc
Earning My Ears

Still can't make a decision!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Doubletree by Hilton
http://www.doubletreehotelcircle.com...ily-hotels.php

Residence Inn Mission Valley
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ission-valley/

Wyndham Garden
http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/califo...hotel-overview

Hilton San Diego
http://www.sandiegohilton.com/

Comfort Inn and Suites Hotel Circle
http://www.comfortinnhotelcircle.com/

Hope that helps!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
jmpurcel
Earning My Ears

Try the BEST WESTERN PLUS Island Palms Hotel & Marina on point loma. Great place. Right on the marina. Free shuttle to local resturants. Free parking. Free bike rentals. Great view of the bay and downtown.
jmpurcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

We loved the Homewood Suites at Liberty Station. Lovely area. Parking, wifi, breakfast included. Short drive to everything we were interested in.

http://homewoodsuites3.hilton.com/en...SHW/index.html
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
DollBabyKG
Mouseketeer

I second the Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel and Marina.

We ended up there by accident last year, and just booked another impromptu trip for next month. It is one the bay, and the marina. The grounds are SO peaceful, it's got a few pools, and is just a really great home base for families. We had a nice room with a private patio where we could sit in the mornings and watch the boats go by. It was fabulous.

We had originally booked the Comfort Inn and Suites on hotel circle, and it was DISGUSTING. Absolutely NASTY. So we left after one night, and tried desperately to find another hotel, just calling random hotels. Not only did they get us a room at only $30 more a night than the crappy hotel, but the staff was fabulous. Super helpful, and really went out of their way for us. We loved it and are going back in 2 weeks. We booked a suite through last minute travel for $164/night. A regular room with 2 queens would have run about $110/night. Which is pretty good for San Diego. Plus parking is FREE which is rare around those parts!

Hope you have a great time! We're going to break with tradition and do San Diego without Disney this time, and I'm already sad about it.
DollBabyKG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: