Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
MartinFamilyTour
Earning My Ears

First time to Fort Wilderness

Hi all. Great forum! We just joined it. Heading to Fort Wilderness 4/8-4/12 for the first time. Me, the wife, and our two kids. we have a 32' Class A RV with no slide outs. I requested loop 1600 so we could be close to Pool and Playground areas. Does anybody know if there are any Basketball hoops on the playgrounds? Also if the kids want to ride their bikes around the campground, Should I be worried about them getting run over by one of the park buses?
MartinFamilyTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

There is a basketball hoop between 1800 & 1900 loops. 1600 1700 1800 1900 are 4 loops in 1 big loop (see map). If they are old enough to use good judgement they should be able to ride the whole big loop. If smaller thy can stay in the one loop. There is no bus traffic on either. There is "local" traffic.

And... Welcome to the camping board!

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge

First off , welcome to the DIS camping family. And yes there are basketball hoops. How old are the kids? If they have knowledge of the road and can ride a bike well then no you should not have to worry. The buses drive fairly slow through the camp ground and it pretty safe. Have fun and remember to relax and enjoy!

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
thegoofyfamily
Mouseketeer

The buses within the campground are vets. They drive very slow and always look out for the kids that still to this day dart out on bikes, boards and scooters that never look before crossing. Just tell the kids to be aware of the "rules of the road" and they'll be fine.

Welcome! Hope you love the Fort as much as the rest of us!

DD14 Ashley DD12 Hannah DS4 Kaihan (or OOPS)

We've been to the Fort countless times over the last 14+ years and it's the only place we want to be!
thegoofyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
retired and happy
Auburn-him/Alabama-her

Beware! Accidents can and DO happen. This is much more likely on the main roads than in the loops, but as PP's have said it depends somewhat on the age and skills of your children.
retired and happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
SinceDay1
Counting the days until our next trip to WDW!!!

Welcome to the Dis and to Fort Wilderness, I am sure you guys will love it!! All the questions have been answered and not much more to add, other then make sure to hit the marshmellow roast/movie time, it is fun. As for the bike riding, please make sure the bikes are properly maintained and you have the tires aired up, I always tell my daughter and her friend she brings is to get off the side of the road when a bus/car is coming when they are not on the bike paths/side walks, as there are some tight spots on the road in some areas. Enjoy the stay, relax, have fun, and I am sure you will be planning your next trip before you leave!!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
MartinFamilyTour
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info. My kids are 11 & 6 and not that great at riding their bikes. I will try to keep them in the loop area and out the main roads.

Can you bring your own marshmellows to the roast/Movie, or do you have the buy them there? Is this something they do every night?

Also thinking about going to the Hoop Dee Doo review for diner. Anybody been there? Is it worth $60 per person?
MartinFamilyTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
retired and happy
Auburn-him/Alabama-her

You can bring your own smores, marshmallows, hot dogs. etc to the campfire. OR, you can buy those things at the chuck wagon located behind the campfire bleachers. If you bring your own, you might also want to bring your own sticks, forks, etc to avoid burnt fingers. HDDR usually requires reservations unless there are some last minute cancellations. Worth the money at least once, then you can decide whether to do it again on your next trip. We do either the HDDR or the backyard BBQ every trip. Our kids really enjoy both.

Last edited by retired and happy; 04-04-2013 at 07:02 AM.
retired and happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Ivette1980
Mouseketeer

Hello Martin Family,

I noticed that you are doing exactly what I ambitiously would love to do. May I ask where did you drive from. I'm coming from NYC to Orlando in the same A class 32" RV. Does this sleep 6ppl?

How was your experience camping? How did you get to the Parks? Disney bus? I have a million questions I will not bombard you with but would appreciate an overview fo your trip. I am so lost at planning and have no clue where to begin. Thanks in advance!
2010 - Boardwalk Inn
2012 - ASM ...JUST ME AND MY BOY
2013 - BACK TO THE WORLD WE GO! FAMILY OF 8 AND WE CAN'T WAIT!!!
Ivette1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
MartinFamilyTour
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivette1980 View Post
Hello Martin Family,

I noticed that you are doing exactly what I ambitiously would love to do. May I ask where did you drive from. I'm coming from NYC to Orlando in the same A class 32" RV. Does this sleep 6ppl?

How was your experience camping? How did you get to the Parks? Disney bus? I have a million questions I will not bombard you with but would appreciate an overview fo your trip. I am so lost at planning and have no clue where to begin. Thanks in advance!
We drove down from Atlanta. Our RV has a dinnett with 4 chairs, so No it does sleep 6. 4 people max! Kids loved the campground. Stayed 6 days and only went to the Disney parks two of those. We didn't ride the bus to the parks, but most people did. We liked riding in the boats from the campground.

Try to stay around the main pool area. That's best if you have kids.

No golf carts for us. To many of them at this campground. Our kids liked riding their bikes around and to and from the boat docks in the mornings that we did go to the parks. (we're old school I guess?)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: