Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
shawnaiko
Earning My Ears

Spring Break vs. June: Which would you choose?

We are planning our first trip with our 3yo DD and 5yo DS for 2014. I'm a teacher, so our options for when to go are limited. I had my heart set on the week before Easter (4/20 next year) before reading about the even larger than normal crowds last week, and now I'm a apprehensive about it. The second best time that I think we can go is during the 3rd week of June.

I've read a lot about it and it seems like the crowds in June will be a little better but the weather is a concern. So I guess I'm wondering which is a better choice. Is the weather that much better in April to make up for 10+ spring break crowds? Is it crowded enough in June to not even make up for the heat/humidity/t-storms?

I know it's ultimately a personal decision, but since my family has no Disney experience, I'd love to hear from some "experts"! TIA!
shawnaiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
tantoria2
Earning My Ears

I would probably choose June. We have been twice in mid May and the weather was pretty good. I would be more annoyed with the crowds at spring break
tantoria2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
LeslieLou
Mouseketeer

Based on crowd reports from spring break, I too would choose June.

It'll be hot, but not blazing - more predictable than spring break. Crowds will be significant, but not CrAzY
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

DH and I are teachers too. We are planning our first trip to WDW for June 2014. I know at DLR, I'd pick summer over spring break because both times are full of people like us who have to follow the school schedule. Summer has roughly 3 months to spread those crowds out. Spring break crowds those same people in to a two week period. It sounds like it is the same at WDW. Also, since we have all summer off, we can go for more days during the summer than we could for spring break or any other holiday.

I wish we could go earlier in June too, but DH doesn't get out until mid June so it looks like we will be third week in Juners too. I'm just reading what I can to have a plan in place and then hope for the best.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

I have been there many times during our spring break, and I have always been able to manage the crowds. However, our break has never been the week before Easter. I don't think I would go during Easter week given the huge crowds. I have been to WDW 2 times during the third week in June, and it was really enjoyable. Although it was hot and there were crowds, we got to the parks early and managed our schedule with FP's, taking a break in the afternoon, and going back to the parks in the late afternoon and evening.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
nicki.momof3
Addicted to Disney Vacations

Fellow teacher here:

Just returned from a 10 day vacation Easter week. We go every year either Easter or Christmas week. Both are very managable and the weather is always great.

On good Friday this year we entered the MK at 7am for EMH. By 11am we had done the following rides in this order:

Space mountain
Buzz
Astro orbit
Speedway
Tea Cups
Back to Space Moutain with a FP
Little Mermaid
Pooh
Haunted Mansion
BTMRR
Pirates
Swiss family tree house

We left the MK after some shopping and lunch at harbor house at 1:30pm. We returned in the evening for dinner at BOG (6pm). Watched the parade, rode some rides (smaller ones), shopped some more and went home around 11:30pm. We always go back to theresort for a nap and swimming in teh afternoon.

Easter is perfectly managable if you plan your time.

June is to HOT in my opinion.
nicki.momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Pick June, Spring Break is way too crowded. With the age of your kids, definately factor in staying at a Disney resort, the bus shuttle too and from the hotels is so perfect for afternoon naps and return trips back to the parks

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Dream, May 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

We just got back this past Thursday and spring break crowds, especially at MK were insane!! We tried to fast pass everything, but even that posed problems with times b/c we did need our midday breaks.

I'd suggest going in June or another of the summer months if you can. Spring break crowds are brutal.
purpledisneyprncess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Whatsthegoodword
Earning My Ears

It depends on when the GA & FLA spring breaks are. We went one year on spring break (from Arkansas) and the crowds weren't bad at all. A Cast Member told us "oh, It'll be awful next week when GA/FLA are on break."
Whatsthegoodword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
nicki.momof3
Addicted to Disney Vacations

I understand FL spring break but not really seeing why GA spring break is a huge factor. Lots of states are driving distance to FL.

Do other states really all have the same spring break week. In MI the spring break week varies by county.
nicki.momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
cwhite92
DCP Alum 2011

June! Spring break time is usually when the high schoolers go on their senior trips and there is nothing more annoying then that..c
Old 04-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
ktak08
Mouseketeer

I would choose June by far!! Spring break is SO crowded it's frustrating!

May 2012 - Contemporary Resort CL
May 2013 - Bay Lake Tower Villa

ktak08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: