Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Free Dining This Year

I agree Pete, I don't think we will see free dining for a while. If we do, it will be for a very limited period when crowds are at their lowest. I think a lot of people will be disappointed.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I think it remains to be seen. The cast members I’ve been speaking with this week say there is something else (either a discount or free dining) happening in late summer, but they won’t know exactly what for a little while. I am very pleased with the 30%/20% packages over the summer. I would have thought that the FLE would have made summer discounts not possible.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
darrengs
DIS Veteran

I definitely think we will see Free Dining again.

darrengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

I hope we don't. I got all the ADRs I wanted for this trip I would prefer other types of discounts like hotel and ticket discounts (although I have never seen a ticket discount for WDW). But I would be stoked to see that over free dining that clogs up the restaurants.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Heather.Mohler
Mouseketeer

Man, I hope we still get it. I know not to count on it, but if it doesn't come out we'll have to REALLY change our plans. Without the cost of the dining plan our trip is right about $3500. With the dining plan (deluxe) it is over $8000. We just can't do that. While we don't feel that we are owed free dining like so many seem to whine about, we do hope for it each year. It makes a lot more possible for us on our limited budget.
March 1996 - off site, March 2007 - All Stars Movies and Sports and Port Orleans French Quarter, January 2008 - All Star Sports, January 2009 - Beach Club Concierge, April 2009 - Buena Vista Suites, October 2009 - Caribbean Beach for MNSSHP, December 2009 - All Star Sports for MVMCP, September 2010 - All Star Movies for MNSSHP, January 2011 - Pop Century, September 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter for MNSSHP, January 2012 - Sheraton Suites for Florida Flute Convention Performance, October 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter for MNSSHP and MVMCP, January 2013 - Off Property for Florida Flute Convention Performance, October 2013 -
Heather.Mohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #6
candyrn
Earning My Ears

free dining

I agree with Pete as well. I think free dining is done. We just visited the World the end of January and had dining discounted but not free. We visit in January because of less crowds, typically cheaper and no matter how cold it gets in Florida, it's still warmer than home. (pa)
candyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I've been trying to think back to the promotions Disney has put out in the past 2 years or so, and it seems like free dining is getting less and less frequent. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't kept a spreadsheet or anything.

But it seems like since Disney announced they were going to wean people off discounts, they have cut back on free dining.

The other rumor going around is that free dining will be the QSP for value and mods, regular dining plan for deluxe and deluxe villas.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I'm really curious to see what Disney does about Free Dining. I think they really took it too far and now people really expect it. If they discontinue it, I wonder if they will offer maybe discounts on it instead? Half off DDP maybe? The DDP has become so expensive, you really have to work to get your money's worth paying full price. If it isn't free and people aren't buying it...maybe getting QSP instead, (free or paying for it)...there are going to be some empty sit down restaurants at WDW.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
timmac
DIS Veteran

I think a lot of people tend to get hung up on the "free" dining promotion, not realizing that often times a discount on the hotel room can be a better deal. Or, some people have APs already, and having to buy a package that includes tickets to get the "free" dining doesn't necessarily make sense. Don't get me wrong, in many cases it's a great deal, just not always.

With all of that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the free dining promotions start to fade out. Even the room discounts seem (in my limited observation) to be somewhat less impactful than they once were.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
candyrn
Earning My Ears

I've always looked at free dining as a bonus. As I said earlier we vacation in January regardless of the dining promotion. I am now questioning whether or not purchasing DDP is worth it. I do like the convenience of having my meals pre-paid, but making sure you get your money's worth takes planning and work.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
candyrn
Earning My Ears

I've always looked at free dining as a bonus. As I said earlier we vacation in January regardless. I am starting to wonder if DDP is worth it. I do like the convenience of having my meals pre-paid, but it takes a lot of planning and work to be sure you get your money's worth from the plan.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Dh and I have never done 'free' dining or purchased any of the dinng plans. For the way we like to eat the TIW card works best for us.

Sorry for those that like free dining, but for us, no free dining makes it way easier for us to get reservations.

Last edited by SamSam; 04-04-2013 at 11:56 PM.
SamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
I hope we don't. I got all the ADRs I wanted for this trip I would prefer other types of discounts like hotel and ticket discounts (although I have never seen a ticket discount for WDW). But I would be stoked to see that over free dining that clogs up the restaurants.
Every promotion this year has included some type of a ticket discount.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
Tigger1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Man, I hope we still get it. I know not to count on it, but if it doesn't come out we'll have to REALLY change our plans. Without the cost of the dining plan our trip is right about $3500. With the dining plan (deluxe) it is over $8000. We just can't do that. While we don't feel that we are owed free dining like so many seem to whine about, we do hope for it each year. It makes a lot more possible for us on our limited budget.
How many days do you stay that dining would be $4500 more? How many is in your party and where did you stay to get Deluxe Dining for free.

I would love those saving if they came back.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Every promotion this year has included some type of a ticket discount.
REALLY!?!? Where/when are the ticket discounts? I have seriously never seen discounted WDW tickets. I know Disneyland occasionally does adults for the price of kids or buy 5 days for the price of 4, but I have never seen WDW do this (although I don't pay as close attention to their tickets). How do I find these?

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: