Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
claireylou82
Earning My Ears

Talking Hints, tips, invaluable advice please!!! First WDW trip in 2 weeks!!!

Hello everyone,

I know its cutting it a bit fine but I suppose I need to do some proper planning instead of just getting giddy about my first ever trip to Florida.

My partner and I fly out for 2 weeks on April 16th, we're staying at a Disney hotel and we dont have a car hired currently.

To add complications my partner snapped her Achilles tendon last august and still suffers quite badly when walking long distances

Anyway, I'm basically after any hints, tips or advice anyone might have for me. If there's one thing you always think makes your trip better that's the thing I want to know

Thanks everyone....so excited I can't sleep already!
claireylou82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Well, first off...read read read these boards!!!! Ask as many questions as you can....Get a scooter if need be, but, may I ask, if she can walk at all, please do so,so not to anger other bus riders when boarding the bus. Scooter people tend to think that they are the only ones riding the bus. Also, you really don't need a car as the Disney transportation is awesome!!! As soon as you arrive, get the maps and familiarize yourself to the park you are going to first, second etc.
Don't be afraid to ask questions of the CM, they are there to help make your trip memorable Good luck and happy pixie dust to you

noahdove is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
claireylou82
Earning My Ears

thanks Marilyn,

I know she'll want to walk when ever she can its going to be making her rest that's the problem I think!!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
homedad
DIS Veteran

buy the Unoffical Guide to WDW and read, read, read!! Will tell u what parks to do and the proper order. Its late but u can still come up with a plan.
homedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Hootch
DIS Veteran

Get an

app that shows wait times. You can get a feel for how lines are at different times of the day.

Understand that moving between parks takes time. WDW is about 43 sq miles. Without a car you will be dependent on the buses. The bus system is generally reliable but there are occasional glitches. (Not trying to discourage you from park hopping. We hop every day on our trips.)

Look at menus ahead of time. People ofte claim the CS locations have the same food. There is variety if you look.

Make sure you understand how the fastpass system works. Fastpasses can save you time.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Pseudacris
Mouseketeer

The Disney transportation will vary depending on where you are going to be staying. The buses aren't the quickest transport, but I've used them even in the resorts that are notorious for not having good transport, and it's worked great.

Are you signed up for Disney's Magical Express from the airport? If not, it's a free bus service that will take you from MCO to your resort.

Have you planned food/dining reservations out? Are you the type of couple who like to have sit down dinners planned or eat quicker items and plan as you go? It is too late to get reservations at the high demand places like Cinderella's Royal Table or Be Our Guest, but some great places still have open reservations.

For instance, I peeked at the reservations available on April 18:
50's Prime Time (DHS), Biergarten (EP), Garden Grill (EP), even Crystal Palace (MK), and Hoop De Do are available, among many others.

(My vacations usually revolve around food, so sorry about that.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
Well, first off...read read read these boards!!!! Ask as many questions as you can....Get a scooter if need be, but, may I ask, if she can walk at all, please do so,so not to anger other bus riders when boarding the bus. Scooter people tend to think that they are the only ones riding the bus. Also, you really don't need a car as the Disney transportation is awesome!!! As soon as you arrive, get the maps and familiarize yourself to the park you are going to first, second etc.
Don't be afraid to ask questions of the CM, they are there to help make your trip memorable Good luck and happy pixie dust to you
Wow...talk about Judging others. If the PP needs a scooter for someone they should be able to use one confidently in knowing they will be excepted by all. It is hard enough to do Disney healthy..let alone if you have an injury or disability to deal with. I am sorry if you have met rude people on scooters..but let me assure you that most are not this way. ( and no..I do not have a scooter but know how bad a person can feel in a wheelchair loading onto the bus and making others *wait*'for safety procedures to be put into place. please be kind in your advice

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
claireylou82
Earning My Ears

Thanks so far everyone!! Any more suggestions welcomed!

We're in single figures now 9 days!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Sorry rewardsinlife, I am not judging..I am speaking from experience. I have been run into, pushed out of the way, made to wait for 45 minutes for people in scooters to board the bus...I have a disability and if need be, I would use a scooter.

noahdove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
anorman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewardsinlife View Post
Wow...talk about Judging others. If the PP needs a scooter for someone they should be able to use one confidently in knowing they will be excepted by all. It is hard enough to do Disney healthy..let alone if you have an injury or disability to deal with. I am sorry if you have met rude people on scooters..but let me assure you that most are not this way. ( and no..I do not have a scooter but know how bad a person can feel in a wheelchair loading onto the bus and making others *wait*'for safety procedures to be put into place. please be kind in your advice
Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
anorman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
Sorry rewardsinlife, I am not judging..I am speaking from experience. I have been run into, pushed out of the way, made to wait for 45 minutes for people in scooters to board the bus...I have a disability and if need be, I would use a scooter.
that's true too.

Tags
advice, first visit, tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: