Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
What would you recommend as an alternative to Microsoft Office. My dd needs it at school..she's been okay with whatever came with her Macbook Pro, but she is going to need more fairly soon. And when we bought our new laptop, we got Microsoft Office but never thought of her needing it, so got just the one time/single app.
Honestly tink, I'd have to experiment. I've used Google docs mainly for spreadsheets, and it gets the job done, but I don't think as easily as Office. I have some experience with Open Office, but it's been a while.

My employer installed Libre Office on new computers, but I'm "special" enough that I got to keep my version of MS Office (2007 version). Many years ago when I bought a desktop for the house, I purchased a 3-license (install on 3 computers) "student" version of MS Office. Since my DD was using the computer (and my wife's laptop), I figured we qualified.

My suggestion right now would be to try each version for at least a couple weeks if not a month. See which one "feels" right.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
tylerb123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageDiser View Post
Dd (11) has a netbook that seems to be on its' last legs. I've been looking around to try to find a budget (under 300) replacement, preferably a laptop since she does online classes. Other than that, mostly web browsing and word processing. For the most part I've been looking at refurbs, and have found one (a Thinkpad) with the following specs:
1) FAST Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz Processor. 2) 2.0GB DDR2 memory. 3) Large 80GB Hard disk. 4) Fast Wireless 802.11g (WiFi) and wired internet.
5) DVD (watch DVD movies). 6) 14.1" Widescreen Display. 7) Includes a 56k modem + 10/100/1000 ethernet, VGA and audio output, 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1394 Firewire. 8) Battery included. 9) AC charger / adapter included. Software included: 1) Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium fresh preloaded.

This falls within the budget, and looks like a great deal to me. My concern is the age thing. Original manufactoring was in 2007. While I consider myself relatively knowledgeable, I wanted some second opinions from people more tech savvy than I am. Totally open to suggestions, preferably laptops..just under $300. ** I did look at chromebooks, but not hot on the pita to print, and that you can't download to it.
Get a dell there really good my dad has it and its so fast
tylerb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Honestly tink, I'd have to experiment. I've used Google docs mainly for spreadsheets, and it gets the job done, but I don't think as easily as Office. I have some experience with Open Office, but it's been a while.

My employer installed Libre Office on new computers, but I'm "special" enough that I got to keep my version of MS Office (2007 version). Many years ago when I bought a desktop for the house, I purchased a 3-license (install on 3 computers) "student" version of MS Office. Since my DD was using the computer (and my wife's laptop), I figured we qualified.

My suggestion right now would be to try each version for at least a couple weeks if not a month. See which one "feels" right.
Thanks. I wish we had known that both my girls would have liked to have Office...we would have spent a little bit more and could have had up to five others use it!! But, that was only for a 2 week period, and we're about a month into the new computer. Looks like they can just fend for themselves!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
mnrose
DIS Veteran

2 GGB of RAM is not enough IMO. It will quickly bog down, especially as updates are added to the operating system. You need a minimum of 4 in my opinion.

I second the vote to go to Costco. You can generally get a decent Acer machine in the $400 range, with ocassional sales to bring the price lower. They come with a warranty. Your used computer, from 2007 (!) will not. 2007 was the dark ages compared with where technology is today. It was "fast" in 2007, but now would be considered barely, barely adequate.

Quick search on Costco pulled this one up:

http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-...100026423.html

$299. 4 GB of RAM, and 320 GB hard drive. WAY more computer than the think pad!

Or this one...it's $399, but for that you get 6 GB of RAM and 500 GB hard drive.

http://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-E1...100032695.html
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
2 GGB of RAM is not enough IMO. It will quickly bog down, especially as updates are added to the operating system. You need a minimum of 4 in my opinion.

I second the vote to go to Costco. You can generally get a decent Acer machine in the $400 range, with ocassional sales to bring the price lower. They come with a warranty. Your used computer, from 2007 (!) will not. 2007 was the dark ages compared with where technology is today. It was "fast" in 2007, but now would be considered barely, barely adequate.

Quick search on Costco pulled this one up:

http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-...100026423.html

$299. 4 GB of RAM, and 320 GB hard drive. WAY more computer than the think pad!

Or this one...it's $399, but for that you get 6 GB of RAM and 500 GB hard drive.

http://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-E1...100032695.html
That 2nd one is a real nice specification for the money. When it comes to laptops, $100 can save you from having to upgrade again next year at a higher cost.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
AverageDiser
'Cause we can't all be perfect

Thank you all so much for the help/advice, this is why I wanted other opinions. My plan is to use it as a birthday present in June, so I have some time, but was hoping to have one in reserve, so to speak. I hadn't even thought of Costco/Sam's, so I'll definitely check out the links, and reviews.
AverageDiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
elizke
Has feelings for her Crockpot!

My teenaged son just bought this one....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+I...1063&sellerId=

He had a Dell before and we were pleased with the included 1 year in-home repair warranty. (A key came off and they came and replaced the whole keyboard.)

For his birthday I added on the 2 year accidental coverage, being a teenager and a laptop.
elizke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: