Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
MagicKid89
Earning My Ears

Lightbulb PENDING VS No Answer?

In your opinion or experience with DCP would you rather be “Pended” or just not hear anything until you get an Acceptance or Decline? The rumor “No New is GOOD New” Your Opinion on that?!
MagicKid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
lego606
Mouseketeer

It really depends on when you apply. I heard nothing for a week and got into Disneyland, but I've had at least 3 friends who got into WDW from pending and 2 others who heard nothing and got denied.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Wishes Count
I Make the Magic! CP 2010

I applied the day applications opened and had my interview 3 days later. Then I did not hear anything for 18 days! It was really nerve wracking but I was accepted for my top choice!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Pending and not getting an answer are really almost the same thing. All pending is, is that they need more time to look over your application. So instead of your initial 2-3 weeks, you could possibly wait until the very last day to hear (i.e., April 19). I, personally, would rather go ahead and be pending than not hear anything. It might sound strange, but about a week after you get the pending e-mail, you chill out (if only a little) about your e-mails and dashboard because you know they'll get back to you when they get back to you. If you just don't hear back, then you know there's a shorter timeline to get an e-mail from them and in more obsessive about checking. I've been pended twice and accepted twice. That's just my humble opinion, though.
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)
pipermae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
DisneyPoly
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes!

pipermae ... did you do the college program two times? And if so, in hindsight would you have done a second program again given your experience?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPoly View Post
pipermae ... did you do the college program two times? And if so, in hindsight would you have done a second program again given your experience?
My second program isn't until this fall (assuming I don't get the alumni PIs I'm hoping for). But, my friend did his first program then extended into another role and he ended up moving down there for them and stayed seasonal and is considering his options to go FT. While I haven't done my 2nd program, yet, I can't wait!
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)
pipermae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
khancock
DIS Veteran

IMHO- the "no news is good news" mentality is silly. I'm more of a believer in any news is better than nothing.

Ex- If you are offered, is not receiving this update good? No. Because you have a limited time to accept.

If you are declined, is not receiving this update good? No. Because you need to move on.

They have a lot of spots to fill and they are tasked with not only finding people who can do a job well, but someone who can handle the trials and tribulations of the program (living with others, being away from home, etc.) Has to be extremely difficult.

Any company would be dumb to base a job offer on when someone applies. That has no implication whether or not someone can perform a job. Disney is no different. Applying the first day applications are out only means that someone is excited about the program. Doesn't mean that they are the right fit for the jobs they are interested in. Doesn't mean they can handle being away from mom and dad. Doesn't mean that they can deal with living with 5-7 others from different backgrounds and the drama (as insignificant as some of it may be- thermostat fights) that comes with it.

Having people on a waitlist (which is what pending is) is a smart move on their part. That assists them in being able to make offers to the people that they feel would be successful on the program as a whole.

With the number of people that apply for this program (rumored between 18,000 and 30,000), there is no way they would be able to keep that many people in the dark for a long period of time. If they waited and made all offers and declines at one time, they would not have any reserves to fall back on if people didn't accept. They would run the risk of not being able to fill their positions.
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
MickeyNola
Earning My Ears

I applied for a professional position that was put "on hold," no one is being considered for the position, and on my dashboard the job is still in the "submission" stage. I never got any update or email that the position was NLIC, I saw the position was on hold when I checked my job submission status. I originally applied all the way back in November and still haven't heard anything.

I've since moved on and applied for a different role with Disney, but I'm wondering if I should withdraw my application for the original position. My current employment is steady so no worries there, just kind of curious how the hiring process goes. I applied for this second role over a month ago and it also hasn't gotten out of the "submission" phase either, but the position is still "open" on the dashboard. Anyone have any advice out there? This is for a professional position, not a CP or PI. Any thoughts are appreciated.
MickeyNola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Time Traveler
the best around

Quote:
Originally Posted by khancock View Post
IMHO- the "no news is good news" mentality is silly. I'm more of a believer in any news is better than nothing.

Ex- If you are offered, is not receiving this update good? No. Because you have a limited time to accept.

If you are declined, is not receiving this update good? No. Because you need to move on.

They have a lot of spots to fill and they are tasked with not only finding people who can do a job well, but someone who can handle the trials and tribulations of the program (living with others, being away from home, etc.) Has to be extremely difficult.

Any company would be dumb to base a job offer on when someone applies. That has no implication whether or not someone can perform a job. Disney is no different. Applying the first day applications are out only means that someone is excited about the program. Doesn't mean that they are the right fit for the jobs they are interested in. Doesn't mean they can handle being away from mom and dad. Doesn't mean that they can deal with living with 5-7 others from different backgrounds and the drama (as insignificant as some of it may be- thermostat fights) that comes with it.

Having people on a waitlist (which is what pending is) is a smart move on their part. That assists them in being able to make offers to the people that they feel would be successful on the program as a whole.

With the number of people that apply for this program (rumored between 18,000 and 30,000), there is no way they would be able to keep that many people in the dark for a long period of time. If they waited and made all offers and declines at one time, they would not have any reserves to fall back on if people didn't accept. They would run the risk of not being able to fill their positions.
Personally I think it's a bit absurd that some people are accepted within 2-3 days of their phone interview, while I (and some other people) have been pending for over 6 weeks. It doesn't take that long to make a decision; they've just put our applications to the side to look over at the last moment. I've seen quite a few people get accepted after claiming that their phone interview was terrible, so I know it isn't a performance issue. I'm not saying my interview was incredible, but I certainly wouldn't call it terrible.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
lego606
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Traveler View Post
Personally I think it's a bit absurd that some people are accepted within 2-3 days of their phone interview, while I (and some other people) have been pending for over 6 weeks. It doesn't take that long to make a decision; they've just put our applications to the side to look over at the last moment. I've seen quite a few people get accepted after claiming that their phone interview was terrible, so I know it isn't a performance issue. I'm not saying my interview was incredible, but I certainly wouldn't call it terrible.
People saying their interviews were good or bad are subjective and aren't necessarily representative of what Disney thinks of the interview.

That said, I think most penders are borderline acceptances. They want you, but they want to see who else is applying. Now that applications are closed there should be news for penders as some accepted people start declining.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Traveler View Post
Personally I think it's a bit absurd that some people are accepted within 2-3 days of their phone interview, while I (and some other people) have been pending for over 6 weeks. It doesn't take that long to make a decision;
Every try out for a sports team?

Some people don't make the cut right off the bat.

Others have wicked skills and are immediately identified as starters.

Some make the cut, but are on the bench. They may or may not get playing time during any individual game and quite possibly an entire season. Only so many positions on the field. Only so many minutes in a game.

Pending people are those on the bench. Some will get called in to go on the field when a starter gets hurt/cant go in for whatever reason. Some never will. But they were still good enough .

I you are on a bench, queued up to get in a club, waitlist, or whatever... you are waiting on a spot to open up and be selected to go on the field by the coach, inside by the door host, or offered a spot on the program by College Recruiting. Decision was made not to cut a pending person immediately following the interview. Whether or not they will get in, will depend on a lot of other stuff, including the possibility that others who may interview later may knock their interview out of the park. From a business standpoint, it makes sense. They want, who they feel, are the best people.
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: