Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #2116
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotScroogeMcDuck View Post
Out of curiosity does anyone know what speed internet you get in the room? We're going in October and our little girl would love to Skype her grandparents in Disney.

Thanks
While I can't speak to the specific speed, we had 2 tablets, an iphone, and a laptop and all worked beautifully for email, Skype, and internet surfing (translation - looking at menus on AllEars.net ) There were a few times we had difficulty getting a connection, but I would say 90% of the time was smooth sailing and very decent speed.
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #2117
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotScroogeMcDuck View Post
Out of curiosity does anyone know what speed internet you get in the room? We're going in October and our little girl would love to Skype her grandparents in Disney.

Thanks
Speed (and reliability) varies considerably. You may have no trouble at all. You may not even be able to get a reliable connection. I've stayed at the Swolphin about 10 times, in different room locations and types. Never been able to discern a reason for the variance.
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #2118
ScotScroogeMcDuck
Mouseketeer

Fantastic, thanks SRUAlmn and OKW Lover, if I remember right all the rooms are wifi now too?
Sep 09 DLP Newport Bay
Feb 09 DLP Hotel New York
Nov 08 WDW Disney Boardwalk Inn
May 08 WDW Dolphin
Apr 07 DLP Disneyland Hotel
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #2119
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn

We were really worried about this too. I read that they multiply your first room charge by a certain amount (maybe someone can help me here with the specifics) and that's the amount they hold. It wasn't really an 'issue' per say, however, there were issues with the transaction of the balance payment.

My mom paid our balance at check in. It wasn't charged to her card until 3 days after we checked out ($500 less than it should've been.) Then the next day it was all credited back. Then the next day it was taken off again ($300 less than it should've been.) Then the next day it was credited back and later that same day the full balance was taken off. It was really frustrating! We went to Cocoa Beach for a week after Disney and spent so much of our trip that week trying to figure this out
This was my experience and how it was explained to me is they take whatever amount you charge back to your room on your first night and times it by however many nights you are staying and that's the amount they hold. So say you buy a pizza from Picabu for $25 on your first night and you're staying 5 nights the amount they would hold is $125 plus the amount for your room. YMMV.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #2120
afcgirl
DIS Veteran

Just back from first stay at Swan/Dolphin

Hi we spent 8 great days at the Swan, from March 22-April 1. It was our first time there, we paid with starwood points for 3 days and cash the rest.

We loved it and would definitely go back!

We loved the pool, we went to the pool on three separate days (parks at night) but would have gone more if it was a bit warmer outside. The pool was kept super warm and my kids had a blast! Us adults loved the drinks (Hula Mula was my fave) and the food was good too. They also had music and games on occasion. We were at the pool for the huge storm that hit Disney and boy was it scary! The staff ushered us into the cabana kitchen, as bottles and other debris was flying around like projectiles. Florida storms are not to be messed with! One negative: jets in hot tubs never seemed to work right.

We also loved the location, we walked to Epcot a few times and took the boat to Epcot and Disney Studios. The bus to DTD was a nightmare though! It took forever!

The rooms were nice, a bit smaller than I thought but nicely decorated. View was fine, nothing special. Biggest complaint: lack of fans in bathroom. By the last shower, the room was pretty stuffy. Thankfully the Swan had a separate sink outside the bathroom, I don't know how we would have managed otherwise. Wish there was more room for luggage. But overall, fine. Bathrooms could definitely use some sprucing up.

We really like the restaurant choices, we ate at Picabu a few times and the coffee shop at the Swan.

So, to sum up:

Positives:Lobby
Restaurants
Pool
Service

Negatives:Bathroom
Room size

We will definitely be back! We also liked the Yacht Club, we went to Beaches and Cream and loved the pool area. So we are thinking of either Swan or Yacht Club for next trip.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

July 2004: Wilderness lodge/Disney Wonder
July 2005: POR
March 2006: Pop Century
August 2006: Wilderness Lodge
July 2007: Polynesian Resort
July 2008: Coronado Springs
July 2-11, 2009: Coronado Springs
March 2011: Coronado Springs
March 2012: Coronado Springs
March 2013: The Swan
Upcoming: March 2014: The Yacht Club!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #2121
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcgirl View Post

We also loved the location, we walked to Epcot a few times and took the boat to Epcot and Disney Studios. The bus to DTD was a nightmare though! It took forever!

The rooms were nice, a bit smaller than I thought but nicely decorated. View was fine, nothing special. Biggest complaint: lack of fans in bathroom. By the last shower, the room was pretty stuffy. Thankfully the Swan had a separate sink outside the bathroom, I don't know how we would have managed otherwise. Wish there was more room for luggage. But overall, fine. Bathrooms could definitely use some sprucing up.

We really like the restaurant choices, we ate at Picabu a few times and the coffee shop at the Swan.

Any questions, feel free to ask!
Glad to hear that you had a great trip!

Do agree with you about the location and the nightmare of the bus ride to and from DTD. I still haven't decided if I will make a half day visit in June because of our experience with the buses.

Also agree with the lack of a bathroom fan. It's one of those items you don't appreciate until you don't have them!

I do have a question for you. Do the bathrooms have one of those pull out laundry strings for hanging bathing suits? I don't think they do but I do remember staying at a hotel, in the last few years that did.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #2122
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post

Glad to hear that you had a great trip!

Do agree with you about the location and the nightmare of the bus ride to and from DTD. I still haven't decided if I will make a half day visit in June because of our experience with the buses.

Also agree with the lack of a bathroom fan. It's one of those items you don't appreciate until you don't have them!

I do have a question for you. Do the bathrooms have one of those pull out laundry strings for hanging bathing suits? I don't think they do but I do remember staying at a hotel, in the last few years that did.
The Dolphin bathrooms have the pull out clothes line. :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #2123
afcgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
I didn't see the laundry strings at the Swan but it's possible I just didn't notice.

July 2004: Wilderness lodge/Disney Wonder
July 2005: POR
March 2006: Pop Century
August 2006: Wilderness Lodge
July 2007: Polynesian Resort
July 2008: Coronado Springs
July 2-11, 2009: Coronado Springs
March 2011: Coronado Springs
March 2012: Coronado Springs
March 2013: The Swan
Upcoming: March 2014: The Yacht Club!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #2124
Dan Murphy
We are family.

There are laundry strings in the tub/shower at the Swan.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #2125
ProudDanceMom
Earning My Ears

Kids Club

Has anyone used Camp Dolphin? My girls are 11, 9, and 4 and we are hoping to use it at least once during our stay at the end of June. Just wondering if there were any opinions on it. Also, which Signature restaurant would you choose?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #2126
Mickey & Minnie Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDanceMom View Post
Has anyone used Camp Dolphin? My girls are 11, 9, and 4 and we are hoping to use it at least once during our stay at the end of June. Just wondering if there were any opinions on it. Also, which Signature restaurant would you choose?

Thanks!
Our kids went 3 years ago when they were 10 & 8. They enjoyed playing video games and making crafts. They also enjoyed the dinner, but my DD said the only thing they offered was pizza which I thought there would be more selections. Maybe it was just that night or maybe that is the way it always is there. I know the ones at the Disney resorts have selections.

We had dinner at Shula's and it was fantastic! Would definitely recommend for a great steak dinner and the key lime pie was the best I've had. I have read good reviews on Blue Zoo and and more so on Il Mulino.

Enjoy your night out!

Last edited by Mickey & Minnie Mom; 04-05-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #2127
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthemouse View Post
Hey Dan - just a little over a week now til we connect. I am very much looking forward to this vacation...
See you soon, Caroline.

Quote:

Thanks!
I have not used Camp Dolphin, but have heard good things about it here. As for a signature, probably Shula's or Il Mulino.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #2128
ProudDanceMom
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the quick replies! We are staying for 10 nights on points, so we might be brave and try to take the kids to a signature restaurant one night too.

My next question is how much time should we plan on it taking to pick up a rental car (will be Hertz if it matters) and getting to the Dolphin from MCO? Our southwest flight is scheduled to land at 8:50am on a Sunday, so I'm wondering if we have any hope of making it to Garden Grove for the character breakfast or if I should just make a late lunch reservation somewhere in a park (if I can ever decide which park we are heading to that day).

Thanks in advance! I'm trying to make this a fantastic trip...this will be my youngest's first visit and some much needed family time (my husband travels for his job including spending 6 weeks out of the country in the last 9 months).
Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #2129
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!
My kids have been twice (will go again in June) and they like it. It's not that big, but they're well taken care of and they have fun. We have done Bluezoo and Il Mulino -- both were great, but I give the edge to Bluezoo. We thought about trying Shula's next time, but I think we're going to do Bluezoo again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey & Minnie Mom View Post
Our kids went 3 years ago when they were 10 & 8. They enjoyed playing video games and making crafts. They also enjoyed the dinner, but my DD said the only thing they offered was pizza which I thought there would be more selections. Maybe it was just that night or maybe that is the way it always is there. I know the ones at the Disney resorts have selections.

We had dinner at Shula's and it was fantastic! Would definitely recommend for a great steak dinner and the key lime pie was the best I've had. I have read good reviews on Blue Zoo and and more so on Il Mulino.

Enjoy your night out!
I'm guessing it was just that one night? Both times my kids went, they had about 4 choices.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #2130
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama View Post

My kids have been twice (will go again in June) and they like it. It's not that big, but they're well taken care of and they have fun. We have done Bluezoo and Il Mulino -- both were great, but I give the edge to Bluezoo. We thought about trying Shula's next time, but I think we're going to do Bluezoo again.

Shula's is nice, but if you have a Ruth's Chris near you, it is basically the same thing. We liked bluezoo, but LOVE Il Mulino! As an Italian girl who lives in the NY/NJ area and has access to fabulous Italian restaurants, I am VERY picky when it comes to Italian food! ;-). Il Mulino is the real deal!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: