Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Too many stripes away from Tigger
Posts: 18,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Leia View Post
If the OP has booked flight inclusive, then this is the reason they are struggling to upgrade. The whole booking has to match the ages of the children, which needs to match their passports for the flights. By upgrading, they have to list the child's age as 10+ on your reservation. If for flight purposes the child is 8 for example, there is nothing you can do about it. I know because this happened when DD was 7 or 8.

I can understand what you are saying and I too thought that would be a reason why they might have said no. The thing is they haven't said I can't change his dining to adult just that I would have to pay them a lot of extra money to do so.
You know the part where I said it had happened to me? I did this about four years ago. There was a hefty charge for it! A few months before we left I wasn't really happy about things not tying up. It didn't make sense. So I called Disney in the US and was told that she was listed as a child on the CRO and would be getting a child's plan. The short story is that Disney UK had upgraded her, charged me, but it was not upgraded on the booking. When I spoke to someone who knew something about it, one of the managers eventually, it was explained that it should not have been allowed because despite having paid, it is all linked to the system by the child's age, which is what determines the park ticket and DDP they are allocated. So your TA should be telling you that they can't, not that they will charge you extra. The only way they could have done mine was to cancel and re-book flights separately. Needless to say it was the last time I ever did a flight inclusive booking but just giving you a heads up that I fought with them for months on this and eventually was paid out compensation on top of my refund when I started quoting and copying them their own emails and terms and conditions. The outcome for me was fine financially, but it cost months of hassle and DD STILL ended up going on the kids DDP. That too was fine. The kids choices are a lot better and even at 10 she could not manage a full adult meal
__________________
October 2010 Trip Report



And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 1,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post

You must have been very lucky with your servers because it goes against Disney's written policy on the Dining Plans and those servers are risking their jobs.

If the OP has booked flight inclusive, then this is the reason they are struggling to upgrade. The whole booking has to match the ages of the children, which needs to match their passports for the flights. By upgrading, they have to list the child's age as 10+ on your reservation. If for flight purposes the child is 8 for example, there is nothing you can do about it. I know because this happened when DD was 7 or 8.
Really?
Well that's a lot of servers then as we was doing 2 TS meals most days! They even allowed the kids to share an adult meal at pretty much every TS and gave 1 of them a free drink so they didn't have to share,
Thats how we managed to do a load of signatures and extra meals!! We have done this twice now and never had a problem considering they are 3 wk trips I don't think the servers have any problems with it.

When we called Disney travel company to change the ages they never had a problem with it either?
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is online now  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
Really?
Well that's a lot of servers then as we was doing 2 TS meals most days! They even allowed the kids to share an adult meal at pretty much every TS and gave 1 of them a free drink so they didn't have to share,
Thats how we managed to do a load of signatures and extra meals!! We have done this twice now and never had a problem considering they are 3 wk trips I don't think the servers have any problems with it.

When we called Disney travel company to change the ages they never had a problem with it either?
We upgraded DS on his last trip as well without a problem (only thought about doing it after reading all the posts in the main section from people who had done it- would have never thought of it otherwise!). It wasn't a flight inclusive holiday though. We were just told that DS's age would be wrong in their system, but given that he'd be an adult by the time his next trip came around anyway we didn't see that being a problem.

Unless 2Tiggies misunderstood and thinks you didn't upgrade, just tried to get adult meals for your child?
__________________


Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Too many stripes away from Tigger
Posts: 18,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151 View Post
We upgraded DS on his last trip as well without a problem (only thought about doing it after reading all the posts in the main section from people who had done it- would have never thought of it otherwise!). It wasn't a flight inclusive holiday though. We were just told that DS's age would be wrong in their system, but given that he'd be an adult by the time his next trip came around anyway we didn't see that being a problem.

Unless 2Tiggies misunderstood and thinks you didn't upgrade, just tried to get adult meals for your child?
No I didn't misunderstand

You upgraded no problem because flights were not included, as detailed in my earlier post.

Regarding ordering adult meals for children on a child's plan, all I was pointing out is that it is in violation of Disney's DDP terms and conditions which are clearly stated on the brochure and on their website. I don't challenge that servers did this so I'm not questioning Tinkerpea who is simply relating her own experience. All I am saying is it is seen as bad form to pay for one thing and then claim something else. Tinkerpea, this is not a knock at you - I'm just stating the facts because there seems to be a lot of confusion about this. If you changed your children's ages by calling Disney then that is a different matter as they would than have been on the correct plan for the meals they were ordering. But as you confirmed, yours was not flight inclusive and that is what stops guests from changing ages. It's the TA and airline that are unable to implement this, not Disney's own policy.
__________________
October 2010 Trip Report



And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Regarding ordering adult meals for children on a child's plan, all I was pointing out is that it is in violation of Disney's DDP terms and conditions which are clearly stated on the brochure and on their website. I don't challenge that servers did this so I'm not questioning Tinkerpea who is simply relating her own experience. All I am saying is it is seen as bad form to pay for one thing and then claim something else. Tinkerpea, this is not a knock at you - I'm just stating the facts because there seems to be a lot of confusion about this. If you changed your children's ages by calling Disney then that is a different matter as they would than have been on the correct plan for the meals they were ordering. But as you confirmed, yours was not flight inclusive and that is what stops guests from changing ages. It's the TA and airline that are unable to implement this, not Disney's own policy.
Sorry, I thought Tinkerpea had originally said that she had upgraded her kids which is what I'd done and the servers were fine (but sometimes said something to the effect of "what, he's an adult?") so I was confused and I thought you were saying that we couldn't upgrade. Sorry, I'm too confused and muddling things for everyone ! Time to go away and have more coffee!
__________________


Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Too many stripes away from Tigger
Posts: 18,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151 View Post
Sorry, I thought Tinkerpea had originally said that she had upgraded her kids which is what I'd done and the servers were fine (but sometimes said something to the effect of "what, he's an adult?") so I was confused and I thought you were saying that we couldn't upgrade. Sorry, I'm too confused and muddling things for everyone ! Time to go away and have more coffee!
You didn't confuse anyone - Disney does a great job of doing that with all the various option
__________________
October 2010 Trip Report



And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 1,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151 View Post

Sorry, I thought Tinkerpea had originally said that she had upgraded her kids which is what I'd done and the servers were fine (but sometimes said something to the effect of "what, he's an adult?") so I was confused and I thought you were saying that we couldn't upgrade. Sorry, I'm too confused and muddling things for everyone ! Time to go away and have more coffee!
I did say that??? Now I'm fully confused, I Did say that I upgraded my children to the adult plan I was only giving my experience of upgrading the kids and the only issues we incurred was , the servers at some TS meals asked the age of the kids and said they thought we had the wrong plan put on our card ( adult instead of child plan) when i told them the kids wanted to eat adult meals some of the time they said ok and carried on letting us split the adult meals between the kids if they wasn't that hungry.
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is online now  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 1,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post

No I didn't misunderstand

You upgraded no problem because flights were not included, as detailed in my earlier post.

Regarding ordering adult meals for children on a child's plan, all I was pointing out is that it is in violation of Disney's DDP terms and conditions which are clearly stated on the brochure and on their website. I don't challenge that servers did this so I'm not questioning Tinkerpea who is simply relating her own experience. All I am saying is it is seen as bad form to pay for one thing and then claim something else. Tinkerpea, this is not a knock at you - I'm just stating the facts because there seems to be a lot of confusion about this. If you changed your children's ages by calling Disney then that is a different matter as they would than have been on the correct plan for the meals they were ordering. But as you confirmed, yours was not flight inclusive and that is what stops guests from changing ages. It's the TA and airline that are unable to implement this, not Disney's own policy.
Sorry I think you have confused yourself and read what input wrong,
I said that I upgraded my children and that I had no issues doing it, I also added the only issues at meals was the servers asking the kids ages but still giving the kids the adult meals as per what was on our room key, this is why I don't understand why the servers are risking their jobs they are doing what I have paid for?
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is online now  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Too many stripes away from Tigger
Posts: 18,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
Sorry I think you have confused yourself and read what input wrong,
I said that I upgraded my children and that I had no issues doing it, I also added the only issues at meals was the servers asking the kids ages but still giving the kids the adult meals as per what was on our room key, this is why I don't understand why the servers are risking their jobs they are doing what I have paid for?
Yes, you're right, that was the part I was referring to and read it the first time that your kids were on kids plans but given adult meals. It was when you said in the next post that you had upgraded them that I realized they must have been on adult DDP. There are a few different aspects of the discussion going on at the same time on this thread and I associated that with the reference on a post a few prior to yours that kids can just order adult meals - which they cannot - and that is where my reference to servers risking their jobs come from, so apologies for any confusion (or offence) that may have been taken from my post.
__________________
October 2010 Trip Report



And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 1,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post

Yes, you're right, that was the part I was referring to and read it the first time that your kids were on kids plans but given adult meals. It was when you said in the next post that you had upgraded them that I realized they must have been on adult DDP. There are a few different aspects of the discussion going on at the same time on this thread and I associated that with the reference on a post a few prior to yours that kids can just order adult meals - which they cannot - and that is where my reference to servers risking their jobs come from, so apologies for any confusion (or offence) that may have been taken from my post.
Yes I have never said that my kids was on kids plans, I put in my 1st post on this thread that I upgraded my kids,

When it comes to people saying about kids eating adult meals they have only referred to the QS aspect of it not the TS part of the plan so that still would not implicate any server? As they would not know who's credits was what as per the QS system so the server wouldn't get into any trouble
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is online now  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran
 
Princess Leia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 686

Answer from Disney UK

Hi Guys

I have phoned Disney UK to ask directly whether child dining plan could be upgraded to adult plan and was told they have been instructed that this can not be done for UK customers. I made the point that they need to think about offering some spicier options for UK kids. For instance at Sanaa the Kid's Menu has grilled fish or chicken, turkey sandwich, cheese pizza, cheese burger and mac & cheese. The lady told me that they offer tacos in the Magic Kingdom. Anyway taking the kids out for an Indian buffet tonight.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I appreciate that different people have had different experiences. Hope you all enjoy your next trip to Disney.
Princess Leia is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 1,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Leia View Post
Hi Guys

I have phoned Disney UK to ask directly whether child dining plan could be upgraded to adult plan and was told they have been instructed that this can not be done for UK customers. I made the point that they need to think about offering some spicier options for UK kids. For instance at Sanaa the Kid's Menu has grilled fish or chicken, turkey sandwich, cheese pizza, cheese burger and mac & cheese. The lady told me that they offer tacos in the Magic Kingdom. Anyway taking the kids out for an Indian buffet tonight.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I appreciate that different people have had different experiences. Hope you all enjoy your next trip to Disney.
Well in that case ill be making sure my kids ages are down as 10 then every time so that they will automatically get the adult plan, seems this is the easiest way.
It's a shame that you got told this as my friends called up 3 days ago and had their child changed I guess it depends who you manage to speak to on the day, and if they are only not doing it for UK visitors then that seems very unfair.

There are still plenty of options if you look up the menus before hand, the ONLY reasons we upgrade is because there is 2 years difference between the oldest and his brothers and they argue that he gets stuff they don't, we have never found it a problem getting meals that was not mac and cheese or burgers etc,

It really is worth looking at what each of the QS places offer as well as the TS places,
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is online now  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip
 
scoobydooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Midlands
Posts: 966

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post

Well in that case ill be making sure my kids ages are down as 10 then every time so that they will automatically get the adult plan, seems this is the easiest way.
It's a shame that you got told this as my friends called up 3 days ago and had their child changed I guess it depends who you manage to speak to on the day, and if they are only not doing it for UK visitors then that seems very unfair.

There are still plenty of options if you look up the menus before hand, the ONLY reasons we upgrade is because there is 2 years difference between the oldest and his brothers and they argue that he gets stuff they don't, we have never found it a problem getting meals that was not mac and cheese or burgers etc,

It really is worth looking at what each of the QS places offer as well as the TS places,
If you do this and book a package with dining and tickets, you will also have to pay the adult (10 years plus) ticket prices.
__________________
Scoobydooby - Next at WDW in August 2013!!!
scoobydooby is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #29
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 1,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post

If you do this and book a package with dining and tickets, you will also have to pay the adult (10 years plus) ticket prices.
We always do that anyways, if you want to upgrade your child to an adult on the dining plan then you automatically have to upgrade to the adult ticket price too, it only costs around £20 difference anyways so well worth it for the extra adult TS credits
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is online now  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #30
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran
 
Princess Leia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
We always do that anyways, if you want to upgrade your child to an adult on the dining plan then you automatically have to upgrade to the adult ticket price too, it only costs around £20 difference anyways so well worth it for the extra adult TS credits
That's right it is only £20 between adult and child park tickets so it would have been well worth doing for the 14 nights. Tinkerpea was your dining booked within a flight package? Just wondering, as other posters have mentioned, if that is what is making the difference.
Princess Leia is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.