Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #46
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
Yes, you are being offensive, You have the hubris to tell others what their religious beliefs should and should not be, that you are the only one with true faith and that the rest of us...who believe very strongly in our own religions...are wrong because you are the only one who can be right.

I am not a Christian, but it's my understanding that there are many Christian faiths with varying views. For you to tell someone else who professes to be a Christian that they are "wrong" is hubris. How can any of us know with any degree of certainty who is "right" and who is "wrong" until we die and are confronted with the afterlife?

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #47
2girls4me
DIS Veteran

You know, it hasn't really come up.

If they are at my moms, sister or mil's I tell them to listen to them. Follow their rules in their house. If my oldest asks me a question, I answer as honestly as I can. She knows things are different everywhere and doesn't expect everywhere to be like her house.

DH:

DD (3):

DD (6 months):
2girls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #48
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

This has come up for us. I would describe myself as "agnostic". My son currently tells me he believes in the gods of Ancient Egypt. Prior to that he described himself as a "Christian who believes in reincarnation"*

Both of my son's grandmothers are Christian, but very very different types of Christian. To give you a sense of how different, a few years ago, when my son was identifying as Christian, we went to church with each of them.

At one church, the rector preached about how after he came out, his mother modeled the love of God for him by walking at his side in a Gay Pride parade.

At the other church, the pastor preached about how removing gays (except he called them by a different term) from the pulpit was not enough, we must hunt them out in the pews and the choir loft as well.

Needless to say, one of those messages conflicted with my family's values. After the service, my son and I sat and talked. I let him know my feelings about what I had heard, and what I believed to be the truth. I explained to him the conflict I felt listening to the message, and how I struggled with deciding whether to take him and walk out, or to stay with his elderly grandmother who needed a ride home. It actually turned out to be a really good opportunity for us to talk about what to do when one of your values, conflicts with another, in this case respecting our elders. I have to say I'm even kind of glad we went.

* I asked my son why reincarnation isn't mentioned anywhere in the Bible. My child told me that "maybe his dad forgot to tell him about it".
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #49
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle View Post
I definitely can understand why you'd be upset with your father's history and his sudden desire to pray. What I don't find clear is, were you celebrating Easter? If so, I don't see why a Christian prayer would be offensive (provided the words in it were not inclusive or were offensive in themselves). Most people I know who pray before meals only do so aloud when they're with their own family or if they're with friends who they know share their faith. If they're unsure, they'll usually just bow their heads and say a silent prayer.

As I'm sure you know, the United States is very diverse from one area to the next (even just a couple of miles at times!) and I'm often argued with that I'm not a Christian because I don't believe the bible is literal or because I accept other religions as being a way to God and heaven. So, there is a lot of misunderstandings here just between conservative Christians and liberal Christians, not to mention those of other faiths or agnostics or atheists.
Pretty much what my response would be. If the prayer bothered me , I'd pick another day for the gathering. For the record, we didnt say a prayer at my house at Easter. It just would sem an awfully odd occasion on which to object to a prayer, regardless of your beliefs or lack thereof. If the beef is more with your dad over his personality, that's another story altogether.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #50
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I just want to add that in general, I feel that my kids being exposed to others who have differing beliefs than our own is a very GOOD thing.

It gives us the chance to discuss (often after the fact) the varying beliefs and what WE believe and how we feel about the others things they saw or experienced.

It is a great conversation opener and a fabulous way for us to examine our beliefs more deeply--and to help our children form their own beliefs (and demonstrate to them that we still love people who feel differently than we do--so hopefully one day if they as adults or even teens do not share my religion or politics or whatnot they are not afraid to tell me or think I might not want them around, etc).

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #51
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I just want to add that in general, I feel that my kids being exposed to others who have differing beliefs than our own is a very GOOD thing.

It gives us the chance to discuss (often after the fact) the varying beliefs and what WE believe and how we feel about the others things they saw or experienced.

It is a great conversation opener and a fabulous way for us to examine our beliefs more deeply--and to help our children form their own beliefs (and demonstrate to them that we still love people who feel differently than we do--so hopefully one day if they as adults or even teens do not share my religion or politics or whatnot they are not afraid to tell me or think I might not want them around, etc).
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #52
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

The OP never even mentioned religion in their question.

Somehow, it was assumed by many that "lifestyle" and "values" meant religious issues.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #53
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
I thought religious discussion wasn't allowed on the DIS boards.
This is easy to explain. It appear mods are a little relaxed about this until it starts to get heated. However, unless a mod is actively monitoring a thread or someone reports a thread, the mods won't know what's going on. If you have problem with a discussion and think it's not following the board rules, you can report a post by clicking on the triangle icon with the exclamation point in it under the post you want to report.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #54
mimmi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Pretty much what my response would be. If the prayer bothered me , I'd pick another day for the gathering. For the record, we didnt say a prayer at my house at Easter. It just would sem an awfully odd occasion on which to object to a prayer, regardless of your beliefs or lack thereof. If the beef is more with your dad over his personality, that's another story altogether.
Ok, I'm really sorry that I wrote without thinking, I didn't think that I would have to explain a personal feeling. I don't care if you think it's odd as feelings are usually subjective, right?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #55
nmmom95
I'm a pregnant lesbian in an interracial relationship
Or am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
But you claim that you know what God is saying and that the rest of us do not.

My ancestors made a covenant with God at Mt. Sinai. He chose us to be His people, promised to be our God so long as we obeyed His Torah. It was a covenant for all eternity, not until something "better" came along. I believe we have survived all these eons because we honor this covenant.

Two basic tenants of our faith are that we do not proselytize, and that we recognize that the other nations of the world will have their own relationship with God, their own customs and practices and ways to honor Him.

If you believe in your heart that yours is the only way, that's fine. but to tell the rest of us that you are right, that we are wrong, is rude.

I agree with everything you posted, and I'm Catholic. As a funny aside, that was your 666th post, which made me laugh.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #56
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
Ok, I'm really sorry that I wrote without thinking, I didn't think that I would have to explain a personal feeling. I don't care if you think it's odd as feelings are usually subjective, right?
FWIW -- I don't think it is at all odd that you would host an Easter meal and not have it be religious--plenty of people, even in the US, think of Easter as just a secular holiday.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #57
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
The Easter Bunny comes on Easter. It would be hard to reschedule that.

But if you know some prayers to the furry guy that brings candy, maybe we could include those prayer at our Easter dinner.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #58
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmmom95 View Post
I agree with everything you posted, and I'm Catholic. As a funny aside, that was your 666th post, which made me laugh.

It was? OMG, the symbolism...especially since I'm not a christian and therefore destined, not for heaven, but for that other place....
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #59
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
FWIW -- I don't think it is at all odd that you would host an Easter meal and not have it be religious--plenty of people, even in the US, think of Easter as just a secular holiday.

I think anyone who pretends to find this surprising is just being difficult.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #60
mimmi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you, I'm trying to explain it properly but it's really hard to convey feelings and beliefs in a foreign language.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: