Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #31
anna08
DIS Veteran

The Goofy pool on the Magic/Wonder is functionally the Donald pool on the Dream/Fantasy, but they are constructed differently and located a little differently (would check out deck plans if necessary.)

There is SO much to do on the Fantasy, that we did not feel at all like we were missing anything by not going to the pools until evening. I thought the programming was better than all the other cruises we've taken, and we still did not cover all the activities we talked about doing.

Really just the pool decks during peak times and the MDRs are loud and you will notice that you are just one of 4000 passengers. It's very unlikely you will be finding yourself with nothing to do, and the pool decks are great when everyone else is at dinner and the shows. Even pirate night had breathing room this time (early performance.)

If you are going adults only, you'll love your spaces!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #32
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna08
The Goofy pool on the Magic/Wonder is functionally the Donald pool on the Dream/Fantasy, but they are constructed differently and located a little differently (would check out deck plans if necessary.)

There is SO much to do on the Fantasy, that we did not feel at all like we were missing anything by not going to the pools until evening. I thought the programming was better than all the other cruises we've taken, and we still did not cover all the activities we talked about doing.

Really just the pool decks during peak times and the MDRs are loud and you will notice that you are just one of 4000 passengers. It's very unlikely you will be finding yourself with nothing to do, and the pool decks are great when everyone else is at dinner and the shows. Even pirate night had breathing room this time (early performance.)

If you are going adults only, you'll love your spaces!
I know there's a lot to do but the main attraction for my son is the pool.
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #33
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinPA View Post
I have cruised on the Magic and absolutely loved it, although I admit I thought the pools were a bit crowded. We are contemplating a trip on the Fantasy and I have to admit, with all this talk about how crazy the pools are, and how many do not follow the rules, I wonder how enjoyable the sea days are on the Fantasy? If you avoid the pools the better portion of the day, what else is there to do? Is there enough to keep DS (9) and DS (12) really engaged?
Thanks for you input!
I love to swim but every time I look at a pool on a cruise ship I wonder why anyone would want to get in. We spent 7 nights aboard the Wonder and I did not get in once. My husband and kids did the first few hours while waiting for our cabins but after that we found so many activities to do without having to 'swim'.

I would study the Navigators......
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #34
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

Thank you! I think it is clear I will just need to level set expectations about pool use!
DJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #35
Jennifer in MI
DIS Veteran

We have not been on the Fantasy yet, but we've sailed on both the Magic and the Wonder. The pools often looked like that picture in the afternoon. So, we switched our schedule around. My dd is an early riser, so we'd eat an early breakfast in our suits and head to the pool right after. Most mornings she had the pool to herself! It was great!

After we realized this was the case, we started telling other moms from our meet and greet group and we had 3 - 4 little girls and moms in the pool all by ourselves.

That became our time to swim. It was WAY too stressful to do it in the afternoon!

Jennifer in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #36
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I did not think it was crowded at all. The ship was not at capacity though. I don't use the pools and I don't have children. Anyone can keep busy though, doing things like going to movies or trying the Midship Detective Agency or a game of Goofy golf. That's assuming the kids won't want to spend time doing the kids' programming.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #37
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinPA View Post
I have cruised on the Magic and absolutely loved it, although I admit I thought the pools were a bit crowded. We are contemplating a trip on the Fantasy and I have to admit, with all this talk about how crazy the pools are, and how many do not follow the rules, I wonder how enjoyable the sea days are on the Fantasy? If you avoid the pools the better portion of the day, what else is there to do? Is there enough to keep DS (9) and DS (12) really engaged?
Thanks for you input!
On the Dream both kids loved the sea days. They actually want to do a TA so they can have more. Daughter was 10 and roamed the ship. Son was 7 and lived in the OL. We stayed away from the pools for the most part. They were very crowded and crazy. The craziness was expected and not out of control. Just kids being kids. Wish I had the energy to join in !

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #38
lucyem
DIS Veteran

It was dangerously crowded on our Dream cruise. We knew going in that would be the case thanks to the Dis. I had warned my kids ahead of time the swimming would be limited to off times. They never swam at all. We had one sea day and the weather was bad and the rest of the time we were just too busy. That was fine with me.

For our next cruise I have already warned the kids. We will only swim at off times - only when there are no crowds. This time I expect with 3 sea days they will want to swim more. Swimming at off times has its advantages too. The sun will not be out in full force if you swim in the early morning or at night.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #39
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

From my experience on the Dream and the Magic, the pools don't get crazy crowded on sea days until after 10:30 a.m. or so. They open early (7 a.m. or 8 a.m., depending on the day), and most people are sleeping in or getting breakfast. My kids are always up by 6:30 a.m. or 7, so our strategy is to go after breakfast. It is very enjoyable!

Also, the pools are not very crowded during dinner and show times in the evening. We would always walk by the pool before and after dinner, and it was empty.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: