Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Mochi2013
Earning My Ears

Question Reception Entertainment?

As I mentioned in a previous thread...
We had originally started out with a large number of guests but now the numbers are dwindling to about 25-28 guests. The remaining guests are mostly our close family members (older crowd) and only a few of our friends. We are concerned that the reception will become dull
What did you guys do for entertainment?

Last edited by Mochi2013; 03-28-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Mochi2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Well, we had a small group (32) that all seemed happy just to table-hop and chat with each other over brunch, but you might investigate hiring a caricature artist or a silhouette artist, since their work also doubles as a favor your guests can take home. Disney can also create a custom face character for you (like a tour guide or a nosy long-lost relative or a clumsy waiter or a terrible magician) who entertains guests and acts as MC.
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer

To provide entertainment without dancing we opted to do our entire reception at Epcot. During the dinner we will provide a characture artist and possibly a magician. During the cake cutting we will have the Illuminations fireworks .

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Yehaa Bob Jackson!

sambycat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
fryedm
David

We used Logan Mania, Music & Madness. Jason Logan was a pretty awesome Dj for our wedding.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
carolwoodpacific
Earning My Ears

I am in a similar situation - we are only inviting 31 people for the wedding and brunch reception. My fiance and I decided not to provide entertainment because we think our families and friends will be happy enough just to "table hop" like Lurky said. This is especially true for us because I live away from my family so I don't see them that often, and there are a few other guests that don't live nearby. So we just plan on spending time with many people we don't get to see as often as we like, and think that our guests will enjoy that as well.

Also, it doesn't hurt that the reception is in Italy so there's people watching and generally awesome surroundings.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Mochi2013
Earning My Ears

Unhappy

My fiance really likes the caricature idea. I am still unsure if my family would enjoy that... they are kinda old school.
Also our families are from different backgrounds and can barely speak english (fiance is Chinese and I am from Europe). I am sure our friends would be ok entertaining each other.
I can see my fiances family not really dancing if we go with a dance instructor and my family not participating if we go with the caricature artist.
I wish we could go see the fireworks but we have a dinner reception and it is out of the way apparently.
Regretting not doing a brunch kind of reception
Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochi2013 View Post
My fiance really likes the caricature idea. I am still unsure if my family would enjoy that... they are kinda old school.
Also our families are from different backgrounds and can barely speak english (fiance is Chinese and I am from Europe). I am sure our friends would be ok entertaining each other.
I can see my fiances family not really dancing if we go with a dance instructor and my family not participating if we go with the caricature artist.
I wish we could go see the fireworks but we have a dinner reception and it is out of the way apparently.
Regretting not doing a brunch kind of reception
We had the caricature artist and it was a hit. The kids all loved it. Most of the adults got them done too. My dad even framed his he loved it so much!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Mochi2013
Earning My Ears

How long did the caricature artist stick around for at the reception?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Most entertainment, including the caricature artists, starts out with a 3-hour minimum that you can then extend in one-hour increments if you need to.
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
WittyAmb
Mouseketeer

We've actually been struggling with the same thing. We're not really dancers and though I think our crowd would get up and dance... it's not totally our thing. I looked at yeehaw jackson and showed it to Mom but she doesn't seem to think he's "wedding appropriate".

Personally, I just want it to be fun. Let us know what you decide on! :-D
WittyAmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyAmb View Post
We've actually been struggling with the same thing. We're not really dancers and though I think our crowd would get up and dance... it's not totally our thing. I looked at yeehaw jackson and showed it to Mom but she doesn't seem to think he's "wedding appropriate".

Personally, I just want it to be fun. Let us know what you decide on! :-D
This is why we nixed dancing. Out of the 45-50 I expect to come only 4 or 5 are dancing people and 5-10 more will dance out of feeling obligated. I felt doing a nice dinner outside with fireworks would go over 1000 times better and save us about 2500+ in the process.

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

We didn't want dancing either as it didn't fit our crowd at all. I did make an iPod mix that had an assortment of music that played and my MIL had a dance party of one in one corner (that way she didn't have to talk to anyone...) and the cousins did kidzbop in another corner but I locked my iPhone so neither group could change the music.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Mochi2013
Earning My Ears

I really wish I could do a outside wedding with fireworks but the location is already taken
I should probably decide soon on entertainment... three more months left.
My fiance and I have a odd taste in music and it definitely is not dancing music. I think our guests would hate us even more if we played our iPod

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: