Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Tehls
THE Anthrax Fan

New Windows fans?

So i'm listening to the tech show at this very moment, and I heard Pete talking about his new Windows 8 Surface Pro. I'm happy to hear that Pete is giving Windows 8 a shot.

I would also implore him to perhaps give a Windows Phone 8 device a chance. They are very compatiable with Windows 8 devices and the Xbox. Also, the One Note program you love is built into Windows Phone and works seemlessly across everything.

PS
Love the new show!
2009 DL - Fairfield Inn
2011 DL - Fairfield Inn
2012 DL - Disneyland Hotel
May 21-24 2013 DL - Jolly Roger
Tehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

DH and I have Windows 8 phones and love them. Seems like Windows phones never get recognition in the marketplace- everything is Apple or Android.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I have no personal experience with Windows 8 or its phones, but I have a friend who recently switched from an iphone to a Windows 8 phone. One word of caution, DO make sure your computer at home is updated to Windows 8 before plugging in your Windows 8 phone. My friend's laptop was NOT updated and it caused her laptop to crash requiring a Techie person's help.
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
woodleygrrl
As god as my witness, I will never ever be swindled by these thieves at Disney bakeries again.

I just got a Surface Pro for work and I have to say after a very brief couple of days of not knowing where, say, the print button is for PDF's and not being able to figure out how to attach a document in Outlook, I have to say I really love Windows 8.

I REALLY love my Surface Pro, though. So small and so cool looking. Also? You can bedazzle the heck out of it with "skins" that you can buy for $15 at the Microsoft store. Right now my computer is all decked out for nationals baseball.

Jennifer
woodleygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
wildcatbn
Earning My Ears

The surface pro really makes Win8 shine but on a pc it just plain sucks. I have had many people stop in the shop and have me install win7 on there brand new machine.
wildcatbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

We installed Windows 8 on our home computers- we love it! It is just a new system with new stuff to get used to. Once you get familiar with it, you see how intuitive it is to use. Most who have it taken off aren't giving it a chance, IMO.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehls View Post
So i'm listening to the tech show at this very moment, and I heard Pete talking about his new Windows 8 Surface Pro. I'm happy to hear that Pete is giving Windows 8 a shot.

I would also implore him to perhaps give a Windows Phone 8 device a chance. They are very compatiable with Windows 8 devices and the Xbox. Also, the One Note program you love is built into Windows Phone and works seemlessly across everything.

PS
Love the new show!
I'm putting on my flame retardant suit as I type this.

I have purchased the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows 8 and ... I love it.

My team is looking at me with this sad, concerned look - it reminds me of the look my family had in the days and weeks before my last rehab. It's the "what's become of him" look.

I'm not just giving Windows 8 a fair shot - I genuinely like it. It's a very different experience.

Don't get me wrong - I'm an Apple guy. In my opinion, Macs are better machines, and OS X is a better operating system. I will tell you that I think the Lumia is a fantastic phone - and I think the Windows 8 phone OS in general is a far cry better than Android. Android feels cheap to me - iPhone and Windows 8 feel crafted and polished. Again, these are just my impressions - not judging anyone else here.

Pete
Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Tehls
THE Anthrax Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterPete View Post
I'm putting on my flame retardant suit as I type this.

I have purchased the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows 8 and ... I love it.

My team is looking at me with this sad, concerned look - it reminds me of the look my family had in the days and weeks before my last rehab. It's the "what's become of him" look.

I'm not just giving Windows 8 a fair shot - I genuinely like it. It's a very different experience.

Don't get me wrong - I'm an Apple guy. In my opinion, Macs are better machines, and OS X is a better operating system. I will tell you that I think the Lumia is a fantastic phone - and I think the Windows 8 phone OS in general is a far cry better than Android. Android feels cheap to me - iPhone and Windows 8 feel crafted and polished. Again, these are just my impressions - not judging anyone else here.

Pete
Good to hear you have a Lumia 920. I have a Yellow 920 and my DW has a Cyan 920. I gotta ask, what color do you have?
2009 DL - Fairfield Inn
2011 DL - Fairfield Inn
2012 DL - Disneyland Hotel
May 21-24 2013 DL - Jolly Roger
Tehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Biggest problem I have with Windows 8 is that is seems MS has purposely aimed it *not* at the business market. It's core feature - the purple flying tile interface - is just a crushing impedance mismatch if you're trying to get conventional work done rather than play Skype, Tweet, or play Facebook. And that's precisely why I think Win8 or any successor that focuses on that interface so heavily will have a tough time gaining long-term traction in the corporate space.

As for me personally, I've found no compelling reason to move to the new interface, because I know the first thing I would do is simply switch to the hybrid desktop, and I know its been more or less crippled within the Win8 UI. Several other developers in my group who had spent some time with Win8 that at least one of them blew it away and put Win7 back on it.

Oh, well, different strokes, as they say. And I say that as a two-decade-plus MS guy, going back to Windows 3.0
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
Maroonag1
DisDad #730

I know this is an old thread but if anyone is still here. Are there any decent Disney Apps for the Windows 8 Phones? The My Disney Experence app says not compatble and most of the other countdown and lines relalted apps are Android and iPhone only.

Early stages of 2015 trip planning now.
Trip report of 2013 coming soon.

Me(Cliff), DW, DD(13), DD(6)
Maroonag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I am actually really liking Windows 8. It took me a few weeks to fully appreciate it but all the integration between devices and how easy it is to connect everything together is a awesome.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

Im not a fan. Im have a certification that proves I know how to correctly use the windows 8 operating system and I still hate it. Dont know what it is but I just couldnt do it, so I made the switch to mac!
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: