Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Cat lovers- I'm nervous about my kitty's vaccination-UPDATEs!

Last year when my cat was a kitten she had a reaction to one of her shots ( I think it was rabies). She had a lump on her neck at the injection site for a week or two. Now her shots are due again and she has a vet appointment tomorrow. I'm so worried when I read how some cats get cancer from those lumps. Our older cat died 1 1/2 years ago and it was so hard for my daughter and me ( we had our cat for over 18 years). I don't want anything to happen to this cat. Rabies is required here in PA but my cat is indoors. I know she may someday get out/escape so I hate to skip the shots.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA

Last edited by ADisneyQueen; 04-03-2013 at 10:50 AM.
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
Last year when my cat was a kitten she had a reaction to one of her shots ( I think it was rabies). She had a lump on her neck at the injection site for a week or two. Now her shots are due again and she has a vet appointment tomorrow. I'm so worried when I read how some cats get cancer from those lumps. Our older cat died 1 1/2 years ago and it was so hard for my daughter and me ( we had our cat for over 18 years). I don't want anything to happen to this cat. Rabies is required here in PA but my cat is indoors. I know she may someday get out/escape so I hate to skip the shots.
You could ask for a titter test to be done to see if she really needs another rabies vaccine. She may still have antibodies built up.

It's not exactly a cheap test, but it may be worth it to you.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I only do rabies shots. I think the others are unnecessary for indoor only cats.

They should be giving shots in the cat's leg, not in the neck. The reason for this is if the animal gets a cancer, they could amputate the leg if needed. From what I have read, the vaccine related sarcomas are most likely linked with the preservative in the vaccine. That is one reason many vets now only do one year rabies vaccines. These do not have the preservative. If your vet offers one year rabies, ask for that one.

My mom lost her cat to one of these sarcomas last summer. The tumors were removed several times, but kept coming back until they finally killed the cat
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
mackeysmom
Let's Go Mets!

I agree with the PP about asking for the shots in your kitty's leg. That's how my vet does it and basically said, "If anything ever happened, your cat can live without a leg, he can't live without a neck."

- Laura
mackeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Could it have been the Leukemia shot? A couple years ago my when I was getting my cats their shots the vet asked if they were indoor only and when I told him yes, I was advised not to get the leukemia shot as studies have shown that shot can cause cancer, but only if they are indoor only cats. My cats area so spoiled and used to being indoors that if they are near the door when I open it they run away and want no part of being outdoors.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

Mine gets his in the leg/haunches also.

You could also ask for a recovery shot. My kitten had a reaction to a vaccination when he was younger. So now he gets a recovery shot first. I think it's between $12-$15. My vet always tells me the cost of shots/procedures beforehand.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

This is why our Vet will only do a 1 year vaccine, not a 3 year. She said that there are less negative reactions to it. I would ask the vet.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

First, be sure to report that reaction to your vet. Hopefully you did so at the time it happened, but be sure your vet documents it in the patient record. Then, ask your vet if they are following the AAFP (American Association of Feline Practioners) guidelines for feline vaccination. If they say no (or don't know what that is), find another vet. http://catvets.com/professionals/gui...ations/?Id=176
The PDF:
http://www.catvets.com/uploads/PDF/2...es%20JAVMA.pdf

No core feline vaccine should be given near the neck. FVRCP (upper respiratory viruses) is typically given low on the right shoulder and is only needed every 2 - 3 years. The other two core vaccines are given low on the right (Rabies) and left (Feline Leukemia) rear legs. Rabies frequency is legislated by your state. Feline Leukemia (FeLV) is only necessary if your cat has contact with unknown/unvaccinated cats, specifically sharing food, water and elimination resources. So if your cat is strictly indoors and has no contact with any cats that go in and out, it does not need FeLV.

You should be able to request a few things to help minimize side effects/reactions.
1. No unnecessary vaccinations. Some vets give multiple vaccines every year, and, to be honest, this is just to jack up your bill. It also increases the risk they will have a reaction. Give them what they need, but not more than they need.
2. Separate vaccines. There are situations when a cat is due three vaccines in one year. We try our best not to give more than two vaccines at a time and separate the third one by 2 - 4 weeks. If it makes you feel better, you can even ask to separate all of them and only get one at a time. YOUR VET SHOULD NOT CHARGE YOU ANOTHER EXAM FEE. They should do a thorough exam the first time and basically just check a weight and temperature before giving the vaccine on subsequent visits.
3. Premedicate with a benadryl injection. Cost should be minimal and they should give it about 15 - 20 minutes to kick in before giving the vaccine.
4. Change the needle! Ask your vet to change the needle on the syringe after drawing up the vaccine before administering it. That needle has already been through two thick rubber stoppers and is now DULL. A sharp needle will be more comfortable and cause less physical trauma for your cat.

I recommend the above for everyone, but for you specifically, find out exactly which vaccine your cat reacted to and see if it's not one that you can simply stop getting. If not, be sure to follow numbers 2, 3 and 4 above. If the lump happens again, make sure your vet documents it in the patient record and never get the vaccine again. Especially see "Vaccination of cats with prior
vaccine-associated adverse events" in the link above.

Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR
jwhtewolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
torinsmom

One of my cats reacted to his rabies vaccine and got hives. Now they give him benadryl before the vaccine. I was told the dosage is 1 mg of benadryl per pound of body weight.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
This is why our Vet will only do a 1 year vaccine, not a 3 year. She said that there are less negative reactions to it. I would ask the vet.
they are the exact same thing...the only difference is labeling and some states require it yearly (which is insane) and some every 3. I'd speak to your vet about this again to be clear. (Please see below, my experience has been with dogs, apparently there is one that is different in cats)

OP: My cat will be 17 in May...she indoors only. She hasn't had a vaccine of any kind since she was 3. I think over-vaccinating our pets is a huge problem. Our dogs get titers done.

Last edited by luvwinnie; 03-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

http://levittownvetblog.com/general/...ccines-debate/

Apparently for cats there is a vaccine that is one year that can be a bit different (adjuvanted vs. not) but it doesn't sound it would be recommended.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
torinsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvwinnie View Post
http://levittownvetblog.com/general/...ccines-debate/

Apparently for cats there is a vaccine that is one year that can be a bit different (adjuvanted vs. not) but it doesn't sound it would be recommended.
Yes, it is the adjuvant that is supposed to raise the risk of vaccine-related sarcoma, as well as other reactions
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Update- I did take my cat to the vet last week. I really like my vet and wanted to talk to her about the rabies vaccinations. It was disappointing to hear they would not order the Purevax for me. She said she stands behind the 3 yr. vac. But due to my cat's reaction last year she just gave her the other indoor cat shots and would give her the rabies next week. I guess she thought two shots may have caused the reaction lump. She also told me to give her benedryl when we got home and some more before she gets the rabies shot. I did not know that cats foam at the mouth for a few minutes when they get benedryl or other bad tasting stuff. I thought my cat was having a reaction to it until I looked it up on the internet.

Anyway, I decided to call a few places to see if they have the purevax rabies. One place 25 min. away does ( they are also a larger hospital) and also a small Humane Society vet clinic does too ( and they are close). So now I am taking her next week to get the purevax at the small clinic and I'm going to call my vet office and tell them why I am cancelling. I just can't get over that they don't have it. Now I have to pay an extra office visit at this new place but oh well.
I forgot to ask if I should still give her benedryl before this shot. Do other people give their cats this?
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
torinsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
Update- I did take my cat to the vet last week. I really like my vet and wanted to talk to her about the rabies vaccinations. It was disappointing to hear they would not order the Purevax for me. She said she stands behind the 3 yr. vac. But due to my cat's reaction last year she just gave her the other indoor cat shots and would give her the rabies next week. I guess she thought two shots may have caused the reaction lump. She also told me to give her benedryl when we got home and some more before she gets the rabies shot. I did not know that cats foam at the mouth for a few minutes when they get benedryl or other bad tasting stuff. I thought my cat was having a reaction to it until I looked it up on the internet.

Anyway, I decided to call a few places to see if they have the purevax rabies. One place 25 min. away does ( they are also a larger hospital) and also a small Humane Society vet clinic does too ( and they are close). So now I am taking her next week to get the purevax at the small clinic and I'm going to call my vet office and tell them why I am cancelling. I just can't get over that they don't have it. Now I have to pay an extra office visit at this new place but oh well.
I forgot to ask if I should still give her benedryl before this shot. Do other people give their cats this?
I give my one cat benadryl before his rabies, but that is because he had hives after having it once.

It's hard to believe a vet wouldn't want to offer the one year vaccine as a choice. My vet will only do the 3 year if you specifically ask for it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I didn't realize so many vets now offer the 1 year purevax. The bigger clinic I called said they've had it available for only 8 mos. When did this purevax become common? My older cat died 11/11 and I did not give her the rabies vax her last few years but she always had the 3 yr. I didn't know there was anything else.
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: