Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

You know, I don't like appearing ignorant about anything before I go into a meeting. I do research. I prepare.

The principal knew this was at issue before the meeting. If he had no clue what Brave New World was about, why didn't he just Google it before he met with the teachers to see what it was about and what the possible controversy might be?
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #17
Sam81
Mouseketeer

My children read this as toddlers. I would be questioning why this is being discussed with high school students. Clearly gifted is not the same across states.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
Holly
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.
Drops not so subtle hints to the Tag Fairy that she likes green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
My children read this as toddlers. I would be questioning why this is being discussed with high school students. Clearly gifted is not the same across states.
I bet your toddlers really loved that orgy scene.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
Sam81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
They could relate. As they are not only gifted they are also extremely beautiful children. They have spent their entire lives with scores of women throwing themselves at them.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford family View Post
Awesome deity in Brave New World!

ford family

I'm pretty sure I read this in high school, eons ago. I actually just re-read it a couple of weeks ago, as it was offered up for next-to-nothing on Amazon ebooks. I would have no issue with my kids reading this book in school.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post

I'm pretty sure I read this in high school, eons ago. I actually just re-read it a couple of weeks ago, as it was offered up for next-to-nothing on Amazon ebooks. I would have no issue with my kids reading this book in school.
I read it in high school, too and I'd have no issue with my children reading it in high school.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I read it in my 10th grade pre-AP class and loved it.

Pretty embarrassing that the principal had to ask... he could've at least Google'd it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I tried reading it once. Got bored 25 pages in. I was an English major, and there are plenty of books I haven't read.

Although I would have looked it up if I had to make a decision about it.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR

Last edited by FlightlessDuck; 04-03-2013 at 09:12 AM.
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #25
olwyngdh
DIS Veteran

It sounds to me like some parent is afraid that their child might learn to think. Pity that. I am surprised that the principal isn't at least somewhat familiar with the book though, it is pretty cannonical. And I do agree that even English Majors don't read every book--I managed to get a MA without ever reading Moby Dick!

olwyngdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
And I hope the four English teachers were able to give her an accurate summary of the book and why it is important and useful in a high school English class.

I certainly don't expect every Principal to be totally conversant in the details of every subject matter in the school. Evidently the Principal hasn't read the book. Maybe her high school read 1984 instead. I don't see the big deal.
ITA with this. I don't see this as a big deal on any fronts.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #27
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

I read that when I was in 12th grade in 1989/1990 and absolutely LOVED the book. I couldn't put it down! It was much better than George Orwell's 1984 that I was reading prior to switching books to Brave New World. 1984 was too descriptive for me and not enough character interaction (aka conversations).

Sheesh! Parents need to calm down a bit. They make such a big deal about everything now-a-days that it's ridiculous!

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #28
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

I know I'm being a bit repetative, but I'm still strugling to understand why people are blaming the Principal for anything? If my boss had a question about something in my area of expertise, I would really, really hope he'd actually ASK ME instead of googling it.

Sure, the Principal could find the plot out online, but that's almost certainly NOT what he was most interested in. Instead, he wanted to know (or at least should have wanted to know) how the book furthered the goals of his English department, and how his teachers used the book in their classes. To understand that information, he'd need to know not just the actual plot, but also the plot and thesis AS INTERPRETED BY HIS TEACHERS. Nothing on google would have given him that information.

It sounds to me like he went to the experts on the subject instead of being lazy and googling.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #29
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
I know I'm being a bit repetative, but I'm still strugling to understand why people are blaming the Principal for anything? If my boss had a question about something in my area of expertise, I would really, really hope he'd actually ASK ME instead of googling it.

Sure, the Principal could find the plot out online, but that's almost certainly NOT what he was most interested in. Instead, he wanted to know (or at least should have wanted to know) how the book furthered the goals of his English department, and how his teachers used the book in their classes. To understand that information, he'd need to know not just the actual plot, but also the plot and thesis AS INTERPRETED BY HIS TEACHERS. Nothing on google would have given him that information.

It sounds to me like he went to the experts on the subject instead of being lazy and googling.
I agree with his asking, too. I think the most useful answer whould include the why, not just the plot. And while I do remember liking that one in school, I also remember that I read it for a senior elective, so it wouldn't seem odd to me at all if not everyone has.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets

Last edited by PollyannaMom; 04-04-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Mixed up a reference with a different book from the same class - guess I know why I majored in math!
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Now y'all drove me to google

Here's an interesting article about why it's taught in schools (found with the search phrase "Brave New World why is it taught in schools"):

http://www.shmoop.com/brave-new-world/

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: