Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney View Post
I think it's sad that Walt Disney's original idea for Disney World is being changed just for more income.

He never wanted carnival games in his parks... But they put them in anyway in Animal Kingdom.

His first major oopsy was that he didn't control the area around the perimeter of DisneyLand, so other corporates could build so he bought more land for Disney World so that wouldn't happen. So what do Disney World owner or whoever makes the decisions do? They put other corps right into the parks. I know they have McDonald's in Magic kingdom and Epcot, in their own little stands but to change "Main Street" by putting in a Starbucks? The horror. Sure when I visit I will NOT step foot in or around Starbucks. That's my decision. Not that I drink coffee any way, but if i need a refreshment I will walk 10-20 feet away to somewhere else. Starbucks will NOT get my $$ or snack credits.

I think it is sad that the current President (or whoever makes these decisions) is losing the sight of what Walt Disney wanted for his parks. Yes I know he's not around any more but it seems like whoever makes the decisions is losing site of the magic and the meaning of what walking up Main Street means to people. I know when I'm in Magic Kingdom walking up Main Street I just feel the magic.

I just don't know any more. My site of the magic is getting dimmer and dimmer because of these changes that Disney never wanted in the first place.

Don't even get me going about Avatarland. I mean that's not Even Disney. Soon Disney World will be like Universal Studios... Not that i'm saying Universal Studios is a bad place but when you think of Disney World you think of all the magic and the good memories...not Starbucks..
There has been lots of info out there that says that it will not be an actual "Starbucks" on Main Street, but that it will still be "The Main Street Bakery" and will be "Featuring Starbucks products"

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
rndmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney
I think it's sad that Walt Disney's original idea for Disney World is being changed just for more income.

He never wanted carnival games in his parks... But they put them in anyway in Animal Kingdom.

His first major oopsy was that he didn't control the area around the perimeter of DisneyLand, so other corporates could build so he bought more land for Disney World so that wouldn't happen. So what do Disney World owner or whoever makes the decisions do? They put other corps right into the parks. I know they have McDonald's in Magic kingdom and Epcot, in their own little stands but to change "Main Street" by putting in a Starbucks? The horror. Sure when I visit I will NOT step foot in or around Starbucks. That's my decision. Not that I drink coffee any way, but if i need a refreshment I will walk 10-20 feet away to somewhere else. Starbucks will NOT get my $$ or snack credits.

I think it is sad that the current President (or whoever makes these decisions) is losing the sight of what Walt Disney wanted for his parks. Yes I know he's not around any more but it seems like whoever makes the decisions is losing site of the magic and the meaning of what walking up Main Street means to people. I know when I'm in Magic Kingdom walking up Main Street I just feel the magic.

I just don't know any more. My site of the magic is getting dimmer and dimmer because of these changes that Disney never wanted in the first place.

Don't even get me going about Avatarland. I mean that's not Even Disney. Soon Disney World will be like Universal Studios... Not that i'm saying Universal Studios is a bad place but when you think of Disney World you think of all the magic and the good memories...not Starbucks..
Liberty Tree Tavern features Stouffers products. How is that any different than Main Street Bakery featuring Starbucks products?
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #18
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Liberty Tree Tavern features Stouffers products. How is that any different than Main Street Bakery featuring Starbucks products?
That gets asked every time someone starts a thread like this - and it never gets answered.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #19
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Woo-hoo Starbucks! That is reason enough to plan another trip!

I admit I know nothing about what Walt wanted, but I don't care what he wanted. I love WDW for MY reasons, and I don't see anything making me not want to go back. So, OP, if it bothers you, are you planning on not vsiting again? The pp's have pointed out, WDW is full of sponsored products and if it never seemed to bother you before, why all of a sudden does Starbucks dim your magical outlook.

And yes Walt was a business man, and even though I didn't know him, I'm pretty sure he wanted to make money
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #20
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by godoftheWorld View Post
The Disneys no longer own Disney....It's a business now.
It was a business from the beginning.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #21
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Woo-hoo Starbucks! That is reason enough to plan another trip!

I admit I know nothing about what Walt wanted, but I don't care what he wanted. I love WDW for MY reasons, and I don't see anything making me not want to go back. So, OP, if it bothers you, are you planning on not vsiting again? The pp's have pointed out, WDW is full of sponsored products and if it never seemed to bother you before, why all of a sudden does Starbucks dim your magical outlook.

And yes Walt was a business man, and even though I didn't know him, I'm pretty sure he wanted to make money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
You said what I was going to say!!

OP, just don't go to WDW, if it's bothering you so much. More room for me.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #22
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

Walt Disney was ALL about corporate sponsorships. Look at a lineup of Disneyland attractions and restaurants from when it opened. It reads like a business convention. You'll see Starkist Tuna, Carnation and Monsanto, to name only a few.

And the beloved Dole Whip that is so closely associated with Disney by so many? It's an outside invention by a non-Disney corporation, no different at all than Starbucks.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #23
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Why is Starbuck's more evil than Nescafe?
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #24
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Yep! I'm pretty sure Walt didn't just do things for the heck of it and not expect to make money.

If that were the case, he wouldn't have very carefully acquired the land in Florida under assumed names as to not jack the prices of land up! True he had a vision and he stuck with it even if others might not quite have gotten it at first but that usually happens with any big venture. If Disney wasn't a business to start with, Walt would have opened the park and not charged admission but asked for donations to help keep it running, created it as a non-profit, etc....

Even as much as I love going there and escaping reality -- I know in reality, it's a BUSINESS and they want to make as much of a profit as they can.

I don't drink coffee so I don't really care -- the running joke is I'm a Pepsi person though and UGH....Disney is a Coke product world...which DH likes (so that was a selling point to get him to go as he doesn't like Disney. ). Now my DD is a huge Starbuck's fan, so I'm sure this will make her day.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #25
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:

And I think it's incredibly naive to think that if Disney was still around that his vision wouldn't have changed with the times.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #26
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I'm not anti starbucks, I'm not anti coporation sponsorship. I just think that you should at least attempt to have some creative control over how that sponorship is developed. I think it's more of a nostalgia thing for me. My magic has dimmed a lot simply because I just don't see the "imagination" being developed. Basically IMO disney is simply rehasing old ideas.

One thing that makes me want to cry is the DTD area. It's a waste land pure and simple. pleasure island is simply a dump, there is no other way to describe it. empty warehouses, sound echoing as you walk through and the only thing they could think to add is a glorified bowling alley? really?

Test track upgrade is meh, I simply can't believe that this is the best that imagineers can do and don't even get me started on Captain EO. It was lame 30 years ago when it first came out.

New bakery in france. No detailing, nothing. you basically walk through a gift shop to stand in a cafeteria style cue. Use to be a time when you could at least pretend to be sitting in a Parisian cafe. Come on disney, your supposed to be the leaders in imagination. I've seen better stuff from kindergardeners.

So my concern is that this new starbucks is going to look exactly like the one in Philly, which looks like the one in Washington, which looks like the one in Seattle. Ooooh how original. If that's the case why close the old one. why not simply start selling the coffee and stick a mermaid in the window.

and to add: I was in the parks last week for spring break, could not find my cinnamon roll any where so that was sad. I was told there were in the new fantasy land but I couldn't find them in Gastons tavern or any where. boo-hoo.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #27
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I'm not anti starbucks, I'm not anti coporation sponsorship. I just think that you should at least attempt to have some creative control over how that sponorship is developed. I think it's more of a nostalgia thing for me. My magic has dimmed a lot simply because I just don't see the "imagination" being developed. Basically IMO disney is simply rehasing old ideas.

One thing that makes me want to cry is the DTD area. It's a waste land pure and simple. pleasure island is simply a dump, there is no other way to describe it. empty warehouses, sound echoing as you walk through and the only thing they could think to add is a glorified bowling alley? really?

Test track upgrade is meh, I simply can't believe that this is the best that imagineers can do and don't even get me started on Captain EO. It was lame 30 years ago when it first came out.

New bakery in france. No detailing, nothing. you basically walk through a gift shop to stand in a cafeteria style cue. Use to be a time when you could at least pretend to be sitting in a Parisian cafe. Come on disney, your supposed to be the leaders in imagination. I've seen better stuff from kindergardeners.

So my concern is that this new starbucks is going to look exactly like the one in Philly, which looks like the one in Washington, which looks like the one in Seattle. Ooooh how original. If that's the case why close the old one. why not simply start selling the coffee and stick a mermaid in the window.

and to add: I was in the parks last week for spring break, could not find my cinnamon roll any where so that was sad. I was told there were in the new fantasy land but I couldn't find them in Gastons tavern or any where. boo-hoo.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-world-resort/

The Starbucks in DCA looks nothing like a regular Starbucks and the artist renderings for Main Street Bakery looks nothing like a regular Starbuck's.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #28
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

I don't believe the OP ever went to WDW in the 1970s. If there's one thing Disney has done from day one, it's jump into bed with whatever corporation was willing to foot the bill. There used to be an entire attraction that was an advertisement for an airline. Many attractions and eateries are and always have been "sponsored." Walt Disney was in the business of making money. I have no doubt he would have been wooing Starbucks like crazy because it's successful.

I think the posts about how pure and wholesome and not interested in the bottom line Walt was are some of the silliest that show up on the Dis Boards. How can people be that naive?
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #29
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-world-resort/

The Starbucks in DCA looks nothing like a regular Starbucks and the artist renderings for Main Street Bakery looks nothing like a regular Starbuck's.
If I'm not mistaken this is the 3rd "announcement". what happen with Imperial wharf or whatever that was?

I crack up how they say "unique and distinctive" shops!!! Oh yeah, that big world of disney that carries the same stuff that is in the shops on Main street, which is the same stuff that they had at Saratoga springs (and I mean the exact same items) which were the same dish towels I found at the gift shop across from Ihop at the cross roads. and then the next sentence, they are going to "incoporate" some iconic brands. Translation: chain restaurants to compete with the chains they have 2 miles away. lol. how innovative, how imaginative. TGIfridays at DTD.

Now I've never seen the starbucks at DCA so I'll take your word for it and I'm happy to hear that it's charming but from the uninspiring updating that I saw just 2 weeks ago? I am not impressed and I've seen too many artist renditions that never come to fruition.

Last edited by eliza61; 04-03-2013 at 07:11 AM.
eliza61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #30
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Why is Starbuck's more evil than Nescafe?
I dont get this either...or why is Starbucks any more evil than any other corporate sponsor????

I would hope Walt Disney would listen to his customers and get rid of lousy coffee that we saw complained about over and over again. That would be a business man!

I dont drink coffee, so I could care less about which coffee is provided to guests.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: