Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
As far as "rules" we always say to go with whatever is stricter. It our rules are stricter than the host's rules, our rules still apply. If the host's rules are stricter than ours, the kids are to respect those rules.
This is perfect.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
jodifla

DIS Veteran

We're relaxed about this stuff in general. I can't imagine a typical toy I wouldn't let my son play with, and if the other kids happen to be playing a "war" like game (we don't have those in my house) he probably wouldn't have much interest in it. But kids are going to get exposure to different things the second they start socializing with peers.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

When we are at friends houses, we usually let the house rules stand. We don't have toy guns in our house, but we went to dinner at a home with three boys and a basement full of Nerf guns. Honestly, I just let them have at it. They had a blast with the novelty of it all... And at the end of the night, we went home and they went on with their lives in our non-gun household with no issue. Same thing with TV within reason. I've found I worry more about the content then they ever really pay attention to. So if Sponge Bob is on at someone else's house, so be it. It doesn't mean it will be on in our house. In the summer, we get together with my nephews who only seem to eat corn dogs, cups, soda and pizza rolls. If my kids eat this junk for a week each summer, oh well. They will be back to healthier food when they get home.
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

We are also agnostic/atheist and do as NYEMomma said. I find it interesting if not disturbing that we even feel the need to worry about this. Kids in public school encounter people from all types of beliefs and learn how to participate in activities together. I think when we try to explain how 'different' we are from them we tend to create barriers where none need to be.

As for children behaving, different matter. I don't like kids screaming and running about but at an outdoor event I kind of expect it as long as they are being fair and safe. There are always parents who ignore their kids and those of us who are always watching out trying to keep everyone safe. Must be the nurse in me but I don't like the littlest trying to play with the older kids. They always get run over and hurt for some reason.

I would think a simple comment to my kids to remember our family rules and be respectful of everyone would be enough. JMHO
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

How do people feel about religious families/individuals coming into a non-religious home and praying before a meal? While I am a guest in someone's home I will be as respectful as possible. However, this happened to us recently and we felt extremely awkward having grace said in our home when we don't follow their belief system. We still aren't sure if we think that their actions were disrespectful, or if it's on us to make our guests comfortable... On the one hand it seems so harmless, but on the other, it really did make us uncomfortable in our own home.
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #21
mimmi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember View Post
How do people feel about religious families/individuals coming into a non-religious home and praying before a meal? While I am a guest in someone's home I will be as respectful as possible. However, this happened to us recently and we felt extremely awkward having grace said in our home when we don't follow their belief system. We still aren't sure if we think that their actions were disrespectful, or if it's on us to make our guests comfortable... On the one hand it seems so harmless, but on the other, it really did make us uncomfortable in our own home.
This happened to us on Easter Sunday. In this particular case there is a lot of hypocrisy and obnoxiousness involved, so I was particularly disturbed, but didn't say anything as it's just my father's latest fad anyway and next time there will be something else.
We only know one family who does that on regular basis and while I don't like it very much in my house, as it implies that their Christian values "trump" my agnostic values in either house (or worse, that as an agnostic I don't have values), I don't say anything.
I've decided that those three seconds aren't important enough to create an awkward situation, but should it ever go any further than that (like discussions, promoting their belief to our daughter) I will step in.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #22
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

I think making a guest comfortable is fine even if it goes against my religious/lack of/ beliefs. I don't think experiencing prayer ever harmed anyone and keeping the peace is also important. Take the high road and be the better person.
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #23
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Eh, I don't sweat it. Whatever floats your boat. Plus as a host, I know some people take their faith seriously and say a prayer before meals.

Now OTOH, if you said no praying allowed in the home, that would seriously be uncomfortable for everyone, I would think. If I had to say that to people, I would probably not have them in my home in the first place.

As a host, it is ingrained in me to be gracious to my guests and the thought of offending them would go against my "belief system" there.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:

Truthfully it wouldn't bother me in the least. If I had a guest over and they wanted to say grace, hey have at it. what am I suddenly going to fall to my knees? I don't think it was disrespectful at all. Have you ever been out to dinner with some one and they bow their heads a say a quick grace? most people simply pause, it takes all of 20 secs and then when the person finishes, conversation picks up.
As I said my brother and uncle are Muslim, the say a prayer over their plates all the time. no harm, no foul.

My MIL came over one sunday with a good friend of hers, she asked politely if I would mind if she said a quick grace. I thought it was pretty nice actually, basically she simple thanked the lord for the food and asked him to protect the people in the house. Now after the year I've had, I pretty much appreciate anyone who sends me good vibes.

I wouldn't sweat it, you're not going to start saying grace and I don't think your guest meant any harm.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #25
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
I think it depends on how it was done. If they said grace out loud knowing full well that your family does not share their beliefs, then yes, that is rude, presumptuous, and disrespectful. However, if they simply bowed their heads and said a silent prayer, It think that is perfectly fine.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #26
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think it's pretty rude. If I (an atheist) am invited into someone's home and they pray, I'm happy to sit and be quiet until they are done (but no head bowing). If they want to come into my house and pray, I've got no problem with starting to pass the potatoes while they are still at it.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #27
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

In general, we follow the house rules. But that doesn't mean that my kids have a free pass do stuff that we don't allow them to do.

They also know that people believe different things. We're very liberal atheists. My teenaged kids know that a certain aunt is extremely religious and very conservative, and that many subjects need to be avoided around her.

When they get together with said aunt's teens, the kids go off and talk about everything. My teens were quite surprised to hear that the cousins do not share my sister's beliefs about most things.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
I think it depends on how it was done. If they said grace out loud knowing full well that your family does not share their beliefs, then yes, that is rude, presumptuous, and disrespectful. However, if they simply bowed their heads and said a silent prayer, It think that is perfectly fine.
I agree.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
Sam81
Mouseketeer

My children are gifted so they naturally understand all cultures. We, as parents, just want them to share their gifts with the world.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #30
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
This happened to us on Easter Sunday. In this particular case there is a lot of hypocrisy and obnoxiousness involved, so I was particularly disturbed, but didn't say anything as it's just my father's latest fad anyway and next time there will be something else.
We only know one family who does that on regular basis and while I don't like it very much in my house, as it implies that their Christian values "trump" my agnostic values in either house (or worse, that as an agnostic I don't have values), I don't say anything.
I've decided that those three seconds aren't important enough to create an awkward situation, but should it ever go any further than that (like discussions, promoting their belief to our daughter) I will step in.
I'm not sure I'm understanding here. Are you saying someone got tweaked over a prayer being said ............ On EASTER?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: