Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
mapLeaf
Earning My Ears

Question Question about marriage licence (I'm from Canada)

I'm from Ontario Canada, and getting married in WDW in Sept. I've been having a hard time finding out if I have to do anything regarding my marriage licence. For ex, I read in an old forum post from about 4 years ago that brides from Ontario were having trouble changing their names on their drivers licence with the paperwork from Orlando.

Anyone from Ontario going through this or has experienced this before?

Do I have to do anything in Canada first before going?
mapLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
SoonToBeMrs
Mouseketeer

I'm also from Ontario, getting married in Disney. I haven't heard about having to do anything before you leave. The only thing I have seen you might have to do is get a marriage certificate which is different than what you get in Florida, but you have to do this if you get married in Canada too.
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

I'm also from Ontario and will be doing this soon. But I'd love to hear any other advice for experience if there's anyone else out there too! I haven't started the process yet, but from what I understand, the FL license that you receive after the wedding is just a certified copy and not the original marriage license document, which is why you (we) might have difficulty changing names because Canadian agencies and banks seem to require the original document to this.

I looked into the marriage certificate on the Ontario website, but it seems to say the certificate is only for weddings registered in Ontario. The information for getting married outside of Canada is extremely vague, i.e. they advise you ask the Canadian representative in the country you will be married. So helpful!

Here are a bunch on the vague aforementioned links
-http://www.ontario.ca/government/what-forms-do-i-need-get-married-outside-ontario
-http://www.ontario.ca/government/marriage-certificate
-http://www.ontario.ca/government/get-married-ontario

I'm going to keep looking into this and see if anything else comes up. But as it stands, the only solution appears to be get ready for some extra hassle when you go to do anything official - changing your name, bank account, etc.
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
2010_Bride
DIS Veteran

Hello Ladies

I am from Ontario and was married at Disney back in July 2010

I'm sitting here smiling reading through this post. I did have some issues with Service Ontario when I went to change my drivers license and health card. The problem is that Florida does not give you the ORIGINAL marriage licence which is required to change your name here in Ontario. The teller at Service Ontario told me she couldn't help me because I needed to provide the original certificate. I tried explaining to her that the Florida courthouse keeps the original, but she didn't care. I asked to speak with her manager. I explained to the manager my situation and she asked me to provide the courthouse name and telephone number for her to verify. She did call the courthouse and then told the teller to go ahead and process my paperwork

It can be done ladies. It only took about two hours out of my life - lol! Everywhere else took the certificate no problem.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm happy to help,

2010_Bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
mapLeaf
Earning My Ears

hi! thanks for sharing! I'm glad to hear it can be done. I'll definitely ask if I have any more questions (I'm sure I will!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_Bride View Post
Hello Ladies

I am from Ontario and was married at Disney back in July 2010

I'm sitting here smiling reading through this post. I did have some issues with Service Ontario when I went to change my drivers license and health card. The problem is that Florida does not give you the ORIGINAL marriage licence which is required to change your name here in Ontario. The teller at Service Ontario told me she couldn't help me because I needed to provide the original certificate. I tried explaining to her that the Florida courthouse keeps the original, but she didn't care. I asked to speak with her manager. I explained to the manager my situation and she asked me to provide the courthouse name and telephone number for her to verify. She did call the courthouse and then told the teller to go ahead and process my paperwork

It can be done ladies. It only took about two hours out of my life - lol! Everywhere else took the certificate no problem.:-)

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm happy to help,
mapLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: