Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
leebee
DIS Veteran

Concerns about academic leave, financial aid, when doing CP.

SO... What was your experience with getting a leave of absence from your college/university to attend the CP? Who did you contact to talk about this? Did your school consider this an internship or leave of absence? Did you have to pay any fees to the school to maintain enrollment? Did you "use up" your grace period on your federal loans?

We are hoping to hear of others' experiences before talking to the powers that be, so DD is prepared to offer suggestions and alternate solutions in case she is met with resistance from the administration!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
TerdFerguson18
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
SO... What was your experience with getting a leave of absence from your college/university to attend the CP? Who did you contact to talk about this? Did your school consider this an internship or leave of absence? Did you have to pay any fees to the school to maintain enrollment? Did you "use up" your grace period on your federal loans?

We are hoping to hear of others' experiences before talking to the powers that be, so DD is prepared to offer suggestions and alternate solutions in case she is met with resistance from the administration!
There's a couple ways you can do it. I'd talk with the internship coordinator at your school. The way our University does it, we can take a business course for the semester we are gone and we decide how many credits it's for. For us, the options were difer your payments, which means you can take off school one semester, but your interest rates will go up, and you won't be required to start repaying your loans. Or take the class for 3 credits to still be enrolled part-time, or take it for 12 credits and remain full time as a student.

It really depends on your school, mine is pretty relaxed, but I've heard of others who's school said no credit would be offered simply because of their role.
TerdFerguson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Wishes Count
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post

Every school will be different. This is my experience as my school would not issue credit for the CP. She should talk to her adviser, if they don't know she should talk to the head of her department. I had to do a lot of digging around and finally had to talk with people at the Registrar's office.

I took a "Leave of Absence" from my university. I had to file a form through my university's Registrar's office. This allowed me to not take any classes for that semester but not have to "re-enroll" when I returned the following. There was no fee, I did need to pay $8 to keep my school email account active during this time. Which was necessary as I needed it to register for classes for the following semester when the time came.

At the time there was no "Obamacare" so I needed to have 12 credits to stay on my parents health insurance plan. I got 12 internship credits through Central Michigan University. They had a special program just for students on the CP. You could take as many credits as you wanted/needed and you needed to take 1 Disney class, submit an evaluation from your leader and write a summary paper at the end. I later transferred these 12 credits back to my university as elective credits.

I was using my "grace" period on my loans, but because I was "enrolled" at Central Michigan University I was able to have them verify I was enrolled there and did not need to use this grace period. From what I understand though you get the "grace" period each time you are enrolled, so if she does use it, I think it will still be available to her after she graduates. (I'm not sure on this though)
Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Cais
DIS Veteran

I just didn't sign up for classes Fall 2011 then signed up for classes Winter 2012. Done and done.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
nickie
Earning My Ears

Has anyone done the program while attending UCF? I applied for UCF and the CP for Fall. Does UCF count your CP classes if you enroll? Is it even possible to go to classes at UCF and do the CP at the same time?
nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Hollsey
Finding my laughing place!

I talked to both of my advisors--the one for my college and the one for my major--before even applying just to ensure that I was going at the right time academically. (Since I'm an English major and all of the classes I'd need to take are offered, miraculously, every semester, it wasn't an issue with that.) I knew going into it that I wouldn't get credit for my program, and my college advisor reinforced that. Instead of fighting it, I just took the semester off. I didn't schedule for classes for Fall Quarter, and when it came time to schedule for classes for Winter Quarter (my first quarter back), I did.

I did start to get financial aid letters in the mail in early January, but they were dismissed when I guess it was discovered I had returned to school.

So pretty painless for me, save for the fact that my university didn't offer credit at all (and the way she handled it, it was as if many students had come before me and had asked the same question).
Summer, 1996 ~ All Star Music Resort // Summer 1999 ~ All Star Sports Resort // June 2003 ~ All Star Movies Resort // July 2007 ~ Coronado Springs Resort // June 2010 - January 2011 ~ CP at All Star Music Resort's Intermission Food Court // August 2011 ~ Coronado Springs Resort // December 2011 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge

What happens when a Creative Writing nerd starts a Disney College Program Blog
Hollsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: