Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
pmdeve
DIS Veteran

Tipping Valet

When you check into a resort, do you tip the Valet who takes your luggage out of your car, or do you tip the valet who brings your luggage into your room, or both. Do you tip them each $2 to $3 a bag? I don't' want to slight anyone.
pmdeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if this is proper etiquette or not, but we do tip both: the valet that takes the bags out of the car, we usually give them a flat $5, and the bellman that takes our bags to our room, $2-3 per bag.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

Our valet took the luggage out of our car and then took our luggage to our room. We tipped him about $20 because we had a ton of stuff (cooler, two suitcases, groceries, bags, etc.)
thisismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

I tip both, but I tip the car attendant a little less. For one hotel stay, I'm tipping 4 times -- once to the person who unloads the car, once to the person who brings our bags to the room. When leaving, there's the person who brings our bags down and then the person who loads the car back up. For a split stay, we're looking at tipping 8 times. My DH and I always really help the guy with unloading and reloading the car, so I think less than $10 is sufficient for that part. I wish the same person did everything, but I understand that it's probably more efficient for the resort to have different people handling different things.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

I tip when I get my vehicle back. Often times the person who greets you and fills out your ticket is not the person who drives the vehicle out to the lot. What happens most of the time is your vehicle will sit there until someone has to go to the lot to bring a guests vehicle back so they'll drive yours out then. Several times I've valet parked, gone inside and head out to a bus stop to see my vehicle still parked where I left it.

Valet workers do not work for Disney. Bell Service workers are Disney employees.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
TXGRMAMA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Don View Post
Valet workers do not work for Disney. Bell Service workers are Disney employees.

At any Disney Deluxe resort, it is important to remember the above. There is private company that has a contract to provide valet service. On the other hand, bellmen are Disney cast members. When you arrive and a valet helps you unload your luggage, give him a couple of dollars, your choice. He will do nothing more than roll the luggage to storage and park your car. I always tip more when they bring my car back to me later.

Once you are checked in, cast member bellman will retrieve your luggage from storage and bring it to your room. This CM will assist you in anything you need: ice from the ice machine, info on the resort, notifying Hskp if you need anything brought to your room. Tip him $2.00 to $3.00 per bag. If you find his service especially helpful,you can tip him more.

The same is true in reverse when you check out.

One more thing: the valets do not share tips with bellman (sometimes not even informaton). I have seen more than one instance of a guest giving a valet $20.00 and saying to send the luggage to the room. The valet will still place the luggage in storage and not even notify the bell stand. Leads to some unhappy guests.

Last edited by TXGRMAMA; 04-02-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: correct spelling
TXGRMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
TXGRMAMA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyusername View Post
Our valet took the luggage out of our car and then took our luggage to our room. We tipped him about $20 because we had a ton of stuff (cooler, two suitcases, groceries, bags, etc.)

This could not have been at a Disney deluxe resort. The valet is a seperate company. It COULD have been luggage assistance at a Value or Moderate resort.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Don View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGRMAMA View Post
At any Disney Deluxe resort, it is important to remember the above.
I don't see why it's important.

I'm going to tip them for the service they provide me, not for who they work for.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

After traveling A LOT, the "generally accepted" tipping for luggage and valet
. . . luggage = $1 per bag, when pulling from car, when hauling
. . . car valet = $2-$3, when retrieving vehicle
Old 04-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
TXGRMAMA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
I don't see why it's important.

I'm going to tip them for the service they provide me, not for who they work for.
I said it was impotantant only because many people believe that they do work for the same company and share both responsibilities and tips. Just as the example of a guest giving money to a valet and saying "Take these to room ###." It will not happen.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
Mary7116
Mouseketeer

Is tipping really necessary if I'm lugging luggage to bell services myself? I can pick up my own luggage from Bell services as well. It's ridiculous for me to be shelling out so many tips when I can do these services myself it adds up. I do believe in tipping the CMs who transport my luggage from resort to resort during a split stay. I just don't know how much.
Mary7116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary7116 View Post
Is tipping really necessary if I'm lugging luggage to bell services myself? I can pick up my own luggage from Bell services as well. It's ridiculous for me to be shelling out so many tips when I can do these services myself it adds up. I do believe in tipping the CMs who transport my luggage from resort to resort during a split stay. I just don't know how much.
It's customary to tip anyone who handles your luggage.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary7116 View Post
You are not the one taking it to the storage room and retrieving it from there, so the bellman is doing work. I tip $1 per bag in that situation on the return.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

I've also had a bit of a burn about so many people touching my luggage and expecting tips... as many as 3 times checking in and 3 times checking out! So I tend to haul my own some of the time.

Whoever helps me on arrival with the car and bags gets $5. Same when I retrieve the car.

If I have to place luggage into storage, that person gets $5.

When luggage is taken to my room, $2-3 per bag is too much, but my minimum is $5 for a few bags and maximum $10 for a cartload. If we have 6 bags, $12-18 is just too much for a 10 minute service.

$10 is the tip a waitress gets for handling my family's $50 dinner for 2 hours!

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: