Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
trishypoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW_Diane View Post
If you have never been to Hawaii before, I would say that your idea of going over to Maui for a few days is a great idea. It is a wonderful island with lots to do. We've been there twice.
May I ask Where you stayed in Maui??
CBR 11/07
Disney Wonder w/Hubby 8/08
ASM fam suites 01/2011
Aulani w Hubby 2013
for 20th anniversary trip also
Maui for 5 nights!
Me Hubby
DS#1 15 DS#2 11 DS#3 7
trishypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Kaanapali Beach hotel on Maui is very nice. They have a lot of Hawaiian craft activities along with hula lessons and it is right on the beach! Kaanapali is close to Lahaina.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
WDW_Diane
Mouseketeer

Maui

We have stayed at both The Hyatt and Sheraton. Both are great, and if you're looking for more of a bargain, try the Kaanapali Beach Hotel.
WDW_Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
guynhawaii
Mouseketeer

Hawaii tidbits

Aloha,

A lot of great info here. Generally speaking, y'all are very correct. Aulani is a destination resort. If you intend to do a lot of touring (Pearl Harbor, North Shore, Waikiki, etc...) DON'T stay at Aulani. Stay at Waikiki. Depending upon how deep your pockets are, Sheraton Waikiki is ideally located for Waikiki hotels.

For Maui, if you have children which enjoy pools I would most strongly recommend the Grand Wailea. For any pool junkie, it's heaven. And it has a great adult olympic size pool too, and a superlative beach.
guynhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
FlygirlHNL
Earning My Ears

Split the time

Aulani is pricey if you aren't going to enjoy the resort. Maybe you could stay there for a few days and in Waikiki for the rest of the time.
FlygirlHNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolnini View Post
Looks like everyone has the same opinion. If this is your first visit to Hawaii, Aulani is not the place you want to stay for your home base. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful resort. I have booked and cancelled there several times!! However for the price you would pay I always end up back at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (Ali'i tower). As someone else has said....Honolulu is not Waikiki. Honolulu is a big city with lots of high rise buildings and office buildings. Waikiki is a stretch of beach with lots of hotels and restaurants. Many of the hotels are high rise as well. Trading in timeshare weeks can be difficult in Hawaii since it is such a popular destination. If you take your Aulani budget and do a bit of research you should be able to find a very nice beach front hotel room in Waikiki. One thing that is so appealing about staying in Waikiki is the walkability to great restaurants, beaches, entertainment,etc. You will not have that at Aulani. You will need to drive to do any shopping or visit restaurants outside of the resort.
We stayed in the Ali'i tower at Hilton Hawaiaan Village for our honeymoon 16 years ago. It was an amazing resort!!
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

Ok so one night is really a thousand bucks?!?!?! Please tell me that is a joke. I am doing a cruise down there ( unfortunately not dis) and ill have a day afterwards. I really wanted to see this resort. Can you go and do activities if not staying there?
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
amym2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbypee
Ok so one night is really a thousand bucks?!?!?! Please tell me that is a joke. I am doing a cruise down there ( unfortunately not dis) and ill have a day afterwards. I really wanted to see this resort. Can you go and do activities if not staying there?
You can get a regular hotel room or studio for under $500, but a two-bedroom villa will run you $1000. That's why we joined the DVC. You can eat at the restaurants, shop, and use the beach (all beaches in Hawaii are public), but to use the pool you must be staying at Aulani. Anyone can also use spa services. Not sure about the activities. I know only guests can use the kids club.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #24
Fuhnuh
Mouseketeer

We've been to Aulani three times and have reservations for trips in June and November. Depending on the length of our trips, we have stayed anywhere from 2-5 nights and enjoyed them all. We have spent the remainder of our time staying in Waikiki and have done all of our touring while staying in Waikiki. Two nights and three days at Aulani seems to be the sweet spot for us. We stayed 5 nights our first time which while enjoyable interfered a bit with our plans to visit other parts of the island. Most of the island is pretty accessible from Waikiki if you are not traveling with traffic patterns. We found it easy to get to the North Shore and Windward sides of the island from there. Maui is beautiful, but there is a lot of sightseeing to do on Oahu. Enough that I never feel trapped when on an Oahu only trip.
Fuhnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishypoo View Post
We are planning a trip in August. Trying to decide if we want to stay 4 nights@ Aulani then fly to Maui for 4 or 5 nights. OR Do the NCL PRide of America cruise and then stay at Aulani for 3 nights after the cruise. ANy thoughts......
My parents & I, years ago, did 4 days on Oahu & then the Pride of America & loved it.

Now my husband & I are leaving Friday visiting Hawaii (his first time) & we'll be spending 8 nights on Oahu (5 nights Aulani, 3 nights Waikiki) & a week on POA. It's the best way to get a taste of everything Hawaii has to offer without moving from hotel to hotel or dealing with a lot of wasted travel time.

I highly recommend POA, just know that's it's not the "typical" cruise experience & more a "floating hotel".

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: