Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #151
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post

I think this is part of what I'm feeling - I like it that people are off and with their families.
Not everyone wants to necessarily be with their families. And not everyone would get paid time off, so why should those people lose a days pay for no real reason? And why should people who are traveling be inconvenienced by everything being closed?
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #152
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Unfortunately, its not always that easy, and it gets more difficult as more stores elect to be open on Thanksgiving.
But no one said everything is life is supposed to be easy. Life is hard sometimes. We have to make sacrifices, there are tough decisions to be made. But living in this country was never supposed to mean that you would get what you want, how you want it , when you want it. We struggle, we fail and sometimes we succeed. Retail doesn't have to be an end all be all job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
It's not that easy to find jobs in some areas. It is however easy to say that people should just find other jobs.

I personally feel empathy for everyone that has to work on holidays. It's not only the holiday for me but I celebrate any time people get an extra day off. If that is bad somehow so be it.
It never is easy. Look, last year my sister in law had to work. We moved Easter to Saturday. We went to Saturday vigil mass and had our family thing Saturday night. Sometimes we have to adjust. I really think we sweat the small stuff sometimes.

Quote:
I think this is part of what I'm feeling - I like it that people are off and with their families.
Hey, Im one where our family spends sooo much time together people laugh. Im always being asked, "what nephew/nieces birthday celebration is THIS week?". Its a wonderful thing, but then again, we don't wait for just holidays to do this. So if someone is missing, it's ok. We'll see them soon and save them some cake! And while I realize not everyone has the ability to do this, you can always find one day, might not be the "right" day , to all get together.

I find it hard to believe that getting rid of the puritanical Blue Laws is what will destroy family time. If that's true, THAT is sad to me.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #153
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Okay, let's turn this around, did anyone here get Easter off as a paid holiday?

I think that is the key issue. A day off is nice, but for many, if it means no pay, it's a problem.

Could definitely be an issue for some.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #154
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Not everyone wants to necessarily be with their families. And not everyone would get paid time off, so why should those people lose a days pay for no real reason? And why should people who are traveling be inconvenienced by everything being closed?

Don't get me confused with someone that's saying everything should be closed.

But I will say that while it may be "no real reason" to you, it is a real reason for some. And I'm talking about workers who want off, not people who might be "mad" that they're open.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #155
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
But no one said everything is life is supposed to be easy. Life is hard sometimes. We have to make sacrifices, there are tough decisions to be made. But living in this country was never supposed to mean that you would get what you want, how you want it , when you want it. We struggle, we fail and sometimes we succeed. Retail doesn't have to be an end all be all job.

You're preaching to the choir on this one . But I still maintain (and again, its just my opinion) that it would feel silly for my child to miss Easter for work in a pet store (as an example). Of course, she doesn't have to work there, but we all know that its not always that simple. When I was young and working more crap jobs (though I've still been known to take one occasionally ), I had a lot more choices and was able to easily choose businesses that were closed on holidays - working for minimum wage was just not worth "missing" an important holiday. Things have changed, and its harder today to find those businesses. I think its sad - that's all. I'm not boycotting anybody, and I know very well about sacrifice and struggle.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #156
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're preaching to the choir on this one . But I still maintain (and again, its just my opinion) that it would feel silly for my child to miss Easter for work in a pet store (as an example). Of course, she doesn't have to work there, but we all know that its not always that simple. When I was young and working more crap jobs (though I've still been known to take one occasionally ), I had a lot more choices and was able to easily choose businesses that were closed on holidays - working for minimum wage was just not worth "missing" an important holiday. Things have changed, and its harder today to find those businesses. I think its sad - that's all. I'm not boycotting anybody, and I know very well about sacrifice and struggle.
You find it sad, but I find it encouraging business owners are willing to serve people of all beliefs and needs. Now, granted, part of it is (and should be) a business decision. Does a company make enough money to offset expenses by being open? The other factor is whether a company closes for "morale" (for lack of a better word). It didn't bother me that Target was closed. It wouldn't bother me if it was open.

I just find it strange all the people come out of the word work "concerned" about employees having the day off. I'm guessing, with rare exception, most workers HAVE days off. They're not working 7 days a week, are they? Now, do they have the same days off as their family? Maybe, maybe not. It's the nature of the business.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #157
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Okay, let's turn this around, did anyone here get Easter off as a paid holiday?

I think that is the key issue. A day off is nice, but for many, if it means no pay, it's a problem.
I work for the corporate offices for a retailer that was closed on Easter. We have people that work M-F and then people who work in the stores and their hours are any time during the week. We did not get paid for Easter. A lot of people already have the Sun off and then people who work in the stores and would normally work Sun just won't get those hours on Sun and typically their hours are made up during the course of the other 6 days of the pay week. We do also have some people who are unable to make up those hours use some of their floating holiday hours to get paid.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #158
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
You find it sad, but I find it encouraging business owners are willing to serve people of all beliefs and needs. Now, granted, part of it is (and should be) a business decision. Does a company make enough money to offset expenses by being open? The other factor is whether a company closes for "morale" (for lack of a better word). It didn't bother me that Target was closed. It wouldn't bother me if it was open.

I just find it strange all the people come out of the word work "concerned" about employees having the day off. I'm guessing, with rare exception, most workers HAVE days off. They're not working 7 days a week, are they? Now, do they have the same days off as their family? Maybe, maybe not. It's the nature of the business.

We obviously come at this from two totally different world views - and that's okay by me .

As far as being concerned that people have the day off - its not just a day off with their family, its the day. From my world view, its one particularly important day off with their family. Its extremely important for my family to be together on Easter Sunday. Thankfully, we were able to obtain that goal. For us, a few bucks earned at a Target job is not worth the sacrifice of losing that important day. Again, its how I feel - you have different beliefs and I would never try to force you to agree with me (not that I think I could ).
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #159
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
Don't get me confused with someone that's saying everything should be closed.

But I will say that while it may be "no real reason" to you, it is a real reason for some. And I'm talking about workers who want off, not people who might be "mad" that they're open.
That's how I feel. I don't want to be lumped into some generalized category of Christians who want all the stores closed on Christian holidays, but who are against it on anyone else's days that they would like to be a holiday. In fact, in looking back over this thread, I can't even figure out where that idea is even coming from within the confines of this thread alone. I don't see anyone saying that. Liking something is not the same as demanding it. Some people are happy a store or restaurant is closed, and some are sad that the place they want to go is closed. Some would like more stores to be closed, and some would like more stores to be open. So what? Most people are neutral about it, including many of us on the thread. How many of you just on your own behalf (and not for the workers unless you are one) really care that Target was closed? It didn't affect me, and I go to Target a LOT.

I haven't seen anyone here take a legalistic perspective. Now if someone were taking the perspective of "All businesses should be closed because it is a Holy Day , gosh darnit!", or "All businesses should be open because not everyone celebrates Easter , dag nabbit!", or "I want to shop and therefore all stores should be open for me to shop in, dang it !", then I could see why this discussion has even happened. But there's no actual argument here that I can see amongst us.

There are so many variables, factors, wishes, wants, and needs because we are humans, there are a lot of us, and none of us are the same or in the same situation. 100% of the people won't be 100% satisfied no matter what the situation. Some businesses are open, and some are closed. How they make that decision is up to them. Sounds like we all agree that it is ultimately up to whoever is in charge of the store and not us anyway, and that we don't want anyone telling us how it HAS to be.

It is an interesting discussion. I think that's why it's continued for as long as it has. The funny thing is how small an issue is in the grand scheme of things.

I hope the poor innocent guy Bob NC mentioned who stumbles across this thread while looking up Disney stuff can get a kick out of it and not think we are all this silly all the time .
Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #160
skater

You're right Krista. Its an interesting discussion, but I don't think anybody came out strongly supporting a black and white approach.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #161
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
I haven't seen anyone here take a legalistic perspective. Now if someone were taking the perspective of "All businesses should be closed because it is a Holy Day , gosh darnit!", or "All businesses should be open because not everyone celebrates Easter , dag nabbit!", or "I want to shop and therefore all stores should be open for me to shop in, dang it !", then I could see why this discussion has even happened. But there's no actual argument here that I can see amongst us.
I agree no one is stomping their feet and screaming that stores should be open or closed. But that doesn't mean people haven't posted they'd like stores closed when it's important to them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomader View Post
The problem is I'm old school. I liked that we were not living and breathing for the almighty dollar. You still have 363 days to get what you need. If we close under the name of Christmas or Easter don't fix it because it's not broke. It's worked for a long time. I would also like to go back to when stores were closed on Sundays. I guess I'm really dreaming.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #162
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥

Quote:
I agree no one is stomping their feet and screaming that stores should be open or closed. But that doesn't mean people haven't posted they'd like stores closed when it's important to them...
So what ? Are people not allowed to have preferences anymore?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #163
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
So what ? Are people not allowed to have preferences anymore?
Of course people are allowed to have preferences. I just wanted to point out there were posters that said businesses should be closed on certain days, which is contrary to what you posted.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #164
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:

I just find it strange all the people come out of the word work "concerned" about employees having the day off.
I'm with you on this!!

I can't believe people can feel "bad", or, "sad" or be empathetic for people or situations they know absolutely nothing about.

My wife has been in retail for over 30 years. Some of the stores she has worked in have been open Thanksgiving or Christmas or Easter. In many cases they paid the employees double time for working a holiday and they had absolutely no problem getting volunteers to work.

She had an employee request to work Easter because she wanted other specific days off this week.

Geez, everyone you see working on a holiday is not some poor sap who is miserable and worthy of being pitied.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #165
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥

That isn't contrary to what I posted. Tomader indicated that he (or she?) would like to go back to a time when stores were closed. Not that they MUST or SHOULD be required to be closed. Tomader even used the word dreaming in the post.

Anyone can dream and wish. They aren't writing to their congress people or even city council demanding that closing the stores become a requirement. HUGE difference in demanding and wishing. Since when are we not allowed to have dreams and wishes on a Disney board?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: