Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Frozen pulled pork ?

For dd's busy in dec (1st week ) I made pulled pork. I froze the leftovers. What's the longest can freeze BBQ shredded pulled pork? Is it still good?

I also found a bag of frozen uncooked chicken that I froze in jan is it still good. I normally but fresh meat and cook so not sure how long frozen meats can be frozen for especially if out if original package
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin_disney View Post
For dd's busy in dec (1st week ) I made pulled pork. I froze the leftovers. What's the longest can freeze BBQ shredded pulled pork? Is it still good?

I also found a bag of frozen uncooked chicken that I froze in jan is it still good. I normally but fresh meat and cook so not sure how long frozen meats can be frozen for especially if out if original package
I meant bday not busy
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:

According to the USDA.gov website, you can freeze food indefinitely and it remain safe to eat. But the taste and appearance may suffer over time. They recommend 2-3 months for cooked meat and 9-12 months for uncooked poultry.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...g/index.asp#12

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

We had some pulled pork from the freezer a couple weeks ago - was fantastic. IIRC, I smoked it in September.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

To avoid freezer burned food it depends on how you package it. Already frozen in the store container about 3 months. A freezer bag with the air pushed out as much as possible I would say 6 months to a year. vacumn packed could go indefinitely.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
According to the USDA.gov website, you can freeze food indefinitely and it remain safe to eat. But the taste and appearance may suffer over time. They recommend 2-3 months for cooked meat and 9-12 months for uncooked poultry.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...g/index.asp#12
Someone told me if you used one of those food savers (vacuum) you can increase that, I think, 5 times longer.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. I'm picky about the taste. I have a freezer in the garage and the stuff in that one we can leave items to long because it gets all iccced up. Dh says the temp is set to the correct temp

I know some of you that make the bbq pulled shedded pork putit in the crockpot. My question....do you thaw it out or throw it in the crockpot frozen?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Sandy61
Mouseketeer

I throw everything in the crockpot in a frozen state. I guess if it had a lot of ice crystals on it, it may get watery. I regularly put frozen uncooked roasts in the crockpot to cook them.
Sandy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Other than possible freezer burn, it should be fine. About the only thing you cannot / should not do when it comes to freezing meat is re-freeze uncooked meat.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:

I do Pulled Pork in large batches and freeze (I vacumn pack but also do ziplocks as well). It never lasts long as it's very poplular in my family. So I've used it to great results 0-3 months. I have also found a package in the back that got missed. Probably about 6-7 months old and it was still really good as well.

I make the original batch in the crock. Then I freeze it into small one meal (three adults) + a lunch, maybe two. I push it flat to freeze so it's not very thick. An hour on the counter will make it malable enough to put in a saucepan and heat up have even done it from frozen and heated on low. Never had a problem. I do make sure to reserve all the liquid from the crock and I add this to the pork before freezing. Never had it freezer burn or dry out yet.

I wouldn't do pre cooked pulled pork in the crockpot just to warm it up for a family meal, if it's a super big batch and you plan to serve from the crock at a party or something you could use a crock. I have done that but I only did it on warm for a few hours and it was a batch for 50 people.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW/US (in planning)

Last edited by bookgirl; 04-02-2013 at 01:14 PM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: