Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Pittsburgh trip! Suggestions on places to eat, things to see, etc?

My DD17 and I are headed to Pittsburgh next weekend to check out a few colleges. We have a pretty tight schedule, but will have Saturday night and all day Sunday open to explore the city. We do planning on walking both campuses of the schools she is interested in on Sunday (Univ of Pitt and Duquesne) but other than that, we are wide open.

Any suggestions for restaurants, things to do, sights, etc?

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
cassandrap83
Only 3hrs from the Magic :)

check out the "South Side" on Saturday night (early!)

And on Sunday, walk around Oakland (Where the Pitt campus is) there are tons of restaurants and museums.
cassandrap83 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Forgot to add we are staying at the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center on Lytton Ave... are any of the places you mentioned within walking distance? Or via the shuttle?

Thanks in advance, this is a great help!

Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Curleyque
Earning My Ears

Question

Any chance your DD is interested in pharmacy? We are going to visit these same schools because my DD wants to be a pharmacist.
Curleyque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

I was just in Oakland yesterday! I echo Phipps Conservatory, so pretty and peaceful. Right in Oakland. Pirmantis for sure for a sandwich. I honestly would stay local to Oakland. There is enough to do just inside there with museums, etc. that you don't need your car. Natural History Museum! You can catch a bus to Shadyside (maybe 15 minute ride?) for some very upscale shopping and very nice area. Good eateries in Shadyside too! I graduated from pitt way back WHEN and when I was there yesterday (DH works at UPMC) so much had changed but so much still to do....Enjoy your visit
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curleyque View Post
Any chance your DD is interested in pharmacy? We are going to visit these same schools because my DD wants to be a pharmacist.
Physical therapy

So glad all these wonderful places are so close to our hotel!

Last edited by Jenny3; 03-31-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Proud Duquesne graduate here

Lots of places to go. Since you are going to be in Oakland, I would suggest you go and go set fries at the "O" - The Original Hot Dog Shop. It will give her a taste of what school will be like whether she goes to Pitt or Duquesne. There is also a 5 Guys burger place right up from the "O". Greasy but good burgers. Primanti Bros. (a famous Pittsburgh spot) is also on Forbes Ave. - just a block up from the "O". Lots of other places to eat in Oakland. Duquesne's campus, while in the city, is kind of off by itself. There are some places to eat on campus but you will likely want to head down into the Downtown area to find some food. There are many restaurants throughout town. I would suggest using Urban Spoon or Yelp to help you find something you might like.

As for what to see, you will want to see the Nationality rooms at the Cathedral of Learning. The Carnegie Museum is right there as well (if you like that stuff). You could take the "T" from Downtown over to Station Square. Ride the incline and get something to eat (lots of restaurants.) There is a really cool tour called Just Ducky that you can take from Station Square but I don't know if it is running yet. There is also a Segway tour that runs from Station Square (also not sure if it is operational yet.) The Strip District is fun with many different tasty places to eat as well.

You can checkout http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/ as well for some additional ideas.

Have fun!

By the way, feel free to pm me if you have any other questions as well
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Eureka
DIS Veteran

DH and I went on a trip without the kids last year and went to the Carnegie museums right near Univ. of Pittsburgh, an arboretum across the bridge from there, and the National Aviary. It was a lot of fun. As for food, we ate at some fantastic restaurants but not cheap: Monterey Bay (seafood), and Lidia's of Pittsburgh. We also had lunch at Primanti Bros. (fries inside the sandwiches) and breakfast at Deluca's (be prepared to wait and I believe they take cash only). Yum!

If you have time, consider going to Fallingwater too. We went there before going into Pittsburgh and it was beautiful and very interesting.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
TimeforMe
Remember who you are
It was great taking a nap everyday, wasn't it?
I for one enjoy getting dressed up on occasion

My son graduated from Duquesne this past May (and has a job!) and we really loved visiting Pittsburgh. We enjoyed Lidia's a lot, thought Primanti's is very over-rated but I guess when in Rome....there's an area down by the waterfront that has some chain restaurants (PF Chang's) and some nice shopping. My favorite Pittsburgh restaurant however, is Fathead's. It's the best bar food ever and has a HUGE selection of beers on tap.

I second breakfast at DeLuca's and walking around that area. One thing to note is there is not much open on Sundays. Have fun and good luck on your search. My son really enjoyed his years at Duquesne. It was a great fit for him.
TimeforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
bennifer
Mouseketeer

Primanti's is a must for anyone visiting the area. I think everyone else covered everything else! Btw, my DS is starting Pitt in the fall for molecular biology!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
crayon3448
Mouseketeer

Don't have anything to add but I went to Duquesne and my DH went to Pitt. Very different atmospheres to them but there are things I like about both.

And DH and I are also from outside Philly!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
arihillfarm
Mouseketeer

I went to Pitt for grad school! My favorite restaurant by far is Ali Baba, one block over from the Cathedral of Learning on S. Craig St. VERY good Syrian food and very reasonable for lunch. :-)

-Astrid
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I enjoyed East Carson Street...There was a place called the Library that had awesome food for great prices and it was sort of a little hole in the wall place and another place at Station Square called Houlihans or something like that which was also yummy. Granted this was a few years ago so who knows if they're still around.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

You guys are the best, thanks so much

Great to see so many grads here! Feel free to add anything you think is helpful on either school!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
KeepBreathing
Earning My Ears

I live in Pittsburgh. Right around the corner from your hotel is a great Indian restaurant called India Garden...it is one of my favorite places in the entire city. They have a great buffet. http://www.indiagarden.net/ Mad Mex is also not far from your hotel, it is mexican food, but not your typical mexican food - it is a local Pittsburgh chain. http://www.madmex.com/oakland/

If you want something a little more fancy, Legume is a great restaurant within walking distance. http://www.legumebistro.com/ It has a little bar/lounge next door called Butterjoint that I would be comfortable taking my kids (5 and 10) into. http://thebutterjoint.com/

Pamela's for breakfast.

Not sure that I would recommend it, but the "O" or the "Dirty O" as Pitt Students call it, is the Original Hot Dog Shop. It is a late night Pitt institution...and you might want to stop in just to say you have been there.

All of the restaurants I recommended are within walking distance of your hotel.

Someone else recommended the South Side. I would avoid the South Side on Saturday night with a high school student....it is primarily focused on drinking and if your DD goes to school in Pittsburgh, she'll have more than enough time to find it. They have been cracking down on just about everything there and the police presence is heavy.

I would second the recommendations to visit Phipps Conservatory.

Shadyside has some cute boutique shops that you could visit, but you would need to drive there (the shuttle may possibly go there, but I can't say for sure as I've never used it). If you do go there, try Prantl's bakery and the little crepes place that is in a basement.
KeepBreathing is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: