Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
DisneyAmour
Earning My Ears

Saratoga Springs

Does anyone have experience with Saratoga Springs? This will be our first time staying in Disney but I read a thread that seems to say it takes awhile to get from downtown Disney to the parks and that is where Saratoga is.
DisneyAmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Two different things. First, there are no buses that run from DTD to any park. The DTD buses run between the resorts and DTD. But yes, there can be longish waits for those buses. But that shouldn't impact you at all.

SSR is a huge resort. I stayed there just last Dec. There are 4 or 5 internal bus stops, so if you are getting on at the first stop (Grandstand area) it could be 15+ mins before you actually leave SSR and head to the desired park.
But, SSRs location close to DTD doesn't mean it has the same wait times for buses that DTD guests do. Two entirely different things.
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

It can take a very long time to get from DTD to the parks, because there are no direct buses. If you're hearing reports like that, it's because the person would have had to take a bus from DTD to a resort, and then change buses to go to a theme park.

That's not a problem at SSR; there are direct buses to all 4 theme parks. I don't remember it being a particularly long trip, but as the PP said, there are a number of internal stops at SSR because it's so large, so that can make the trip feel a bit longer.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

My family has stayed at SSR for each of its last three visits, and we've been delighted with it. It is a happy medium between the "full Disney immersion" and a nice, quiet resort.

Transportation is a bit problematic, because sometimes you can get frustrated waiting for a bus to your desired park, and in the vein of "the other line moves faster, it always seems as though there are ten buses that roll by for other resorts before one you want comes by. But that's also perception.

We enjoy the Artist's Palette grille - relatively inexpensive by Disney food standards, and everything is made fresh. Although we eat most breakfasts in-room, we particularly enjoy AP's breakfast, with the omelets and skillet-fried potatoes (among other offerings).

SSR also has the benefit of offering full suites with washer-dryers and separate bedrooms, which for us has been vital with 5 people (our family + my mom). Accommodations for that size of party can be had at WDW, but not always in an ideal manner. We "stumbled" onto SSR one year when we were going to book separate rooms for my family and my mom (she likes her privacy) at POFQ, but realized the cost of two regular rooms there that year was only fraction off the cost of a 2BR villa with w/d and full kitchen at SSR. So, for us, SSR is a perfect fit.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
...SSR also has the benefit of offering full suites with washer-dryers and separate bedrooms, which for us has been vital with 5 people (our family + my mom). Accommodations for that size of party can be had at WDW, but not always in an ideal manner. We "stumbled" onto SSR one year when we were going to book separate rooms for my family and my mom (she likes her privacy) at POFQ, but realized the cost of two regular rooms there that year was only fraction off the cost of a 2BR villa with w/d and full kitchen at SSR. So, for us, SSR is a perfect fit.
SSR doesn't have suites; it has villas. SSR is a 100% Disney Vacation Club timeshare resort, similar to Old Key West. Suites are different from villas since suites usually indicate a concierge level room at deluxe resorts.

SSR is a great place to go for a morning walk, especially if you just want to take a break from the parks. Plus it has three themed pools; one a the Springs, one at the Grandstand and one at the Paddock. The pool at Congress Park is not themed, but is a very nice pool (almost a little more adult, but never expect it to be kid free).

I've never had any problems with the buses from SSR to the theme parks. And you can just walk over to DTD or you can even take a boat over to DTD.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
butterfly71076
DIS Veteran

We absolutely love SSR! I have never found it to be a long wait for a bus, and love taking the boat over to DTD. We do find it nice and quiet, and just as close to perfect as possible. We usually stay in the Paddock, close to the pool (really nice kids pool playground) and its a really nice walk across the bridge to AP.
First trip Aug 1992 POR April 1995 ASSp June 1997 ASMu DH First Trip Oct 2004 CBR DS First Trip May 2009 ASMu May/June 2010 ASMo Nov 2011 SSR Dec 2012 SSR March 2013 ASMo July 2013 CSR Sept 2013 CSR March 2014 CBR June 2015 CSR
butterfly71076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
It can take a very long time to get from DTD to the parks, because there are no direct buses. If you're hearing reports like that, it's because the person would have had to take a bus from DTD to a resort, and then change buses to go to a theme park.

That's not a problem at SSR; there are direct buses to all 4 theme parks. I don't remember it being a particularly long trip, but as the PP said, there are a number of internal stops at SSR because it's so large, so that can make the trip feel a bit longer.
Agree... We've stayed at SSR numerous times with no problems getting to the parks.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
duffdo
Mouseketeer

I am staying at SSR in November. There are only 2 of us so we have booked a studio. I am considering requesting the Congress Park area and will hopefully have some luck and get a nice view of DTD. My only concerns with this are the wait times for buses to the parks and the length of the walk to the main building. Has anybody had any experience of this in Congress Park??
duffdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
butterfly71076
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdo View Post
I am staying at SSR in November. There are only 2 of us so we have booked a studio. I am considering requesting the Congress Park area and will hopefully have some luck and get a nice view of DTD. My only concerns with this are the wait times for buses to the parks and the length of the walk to the main building. Has anybody had any experience of this in Congress Park??
You can get on any park bus at Congress and that will take you to the Springs (main building area). Get on a DTD bus at the Springs and that will take you back to Congress, if you don't want to walk. My sisters section of choice is Congress, she's never had trouble with buses.
First trip Aug 1992 POR April 1995 ASSp June 1997 ASMu DH First Trip Oct 2004 CBR DS First Trip May 2009 ASMu May/June 2010 ASMo Nov 2011 SSR Dec 2012 SSR March 2013 ASMo July 2013 CSR Sept 2013 CSR March 2014 CBR June 2015 CSR
butterfly71076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
sue1013
Haven't had a good Yodel in years
I know I'm the odd one
We need to be snow birds!

We've stayed in Congress Park many times. The distance to main building to me is not that far but I like to walk. I find we really don't go to the main building maybe once if we go to the restaurant for dinner. We were there in March only went to main building to check in and then to wait for Magical Express.
sue1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
duffdo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly71076 View Post

You can get on any park bus at Congress and that will take you to the Springs (main building area). Get on a DTD bus at the Springs and that will take you back to Congress, if you don't want to walk. My sisters section of choice is Congress, she's never had trouble with buses.
I never even thought of that! Thanks for the advice :-)
duffdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
DisneyAmour
Earning My Ears

I appreciate the insight! So excited! Thanks.
DisneyAmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at all the Disney resorts and SSR is one of our favorites.

We have never had any problems with the transportation there. While SSR is not right next to a park it is very centrally located to all parks and the drive from the property to each park is not that far. In fact Epcot is just over a mile away.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

SSR is a wonderful and special Disney resort. It is not for everyone. We prefer it to AKL and the Poly because we don't particularly like darker hotels. SSR is very quiet, very pretty and very big. It is a good idea to call the hotel 1-2 weeks before your check in date to request a villa location. We love the Springs due to its close proximity to the Carriage House, main pool, shop and restaurants. It was about a two minute walk- if that. We took about 15 minutes to walk to Downtown Disney which was great too. So overall, we like the Springs best.

The main pool has a vibrant and lovely atmosphere and it is beautiful. The Paddock pool is pretty new and has a CS grill serving breakfast, lunch and dinner!

I will never forget arriving for the first time and walking to reception, we heard classical music playing in the background. So calming. Then we walked into the lobby and a CM greeted us with 'welcome home'.

I understand why SSR is overlooked, but it is sad that many people on the DISboards really dislike it! It is a wonderful hotel. I would liken it to the BC lobby/ decor wise. Light, airy and spacious!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
SSR doesn't have suites; it has villas.
My apologies for not nailing the terminology properly.

The unit where we have stayed the last three visits has two bedrooms, a living room, and a full kitchen, along with a stacked washer/dryer. We enjoy SSR immensely and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, villa/suite/studio terminology apoplexy notwithstanding. It is a lovely resort.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: