Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #391
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

An Animated Morning

SO. When we last left off, it was our first morning waking up at the Art of Animation Resort.

Nothing makes me as early a bird as the promise of a Disney day, so I was up and about before the rest of the family.

I clambered over sleeping brothers to take a peek at the morning waiting for me. (what, I didn't wake them up!!)

Just keep swimming, Dory! I loved how those sketches stretched away down the building.

Some imagineers were already hard at work on the Lion King section, which was set to open in a few weeks. The walkway towards it was close off, so it was fun that our room looked out towards it, and we could get a sneak peek.

I emerged into the Big Blue World outside our door, ready to find some more animated pixie dust!

But first, I had to stop and admire the palm treeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

You know, on my recent trip to Europe, there would sometimes be palm trees stuck at random in French and English cities – cities which clearly did not have a palm tree climate, and yet there the lovely fronds were. Why doesn't America have unexpected palm trees everywhere? I was a fan of the unexpected palm trees. But then I’m a fan of ANY palm tree.

ANYway, back to the Disney! My first stop was the food court to grab a morning beverage in my mug. It might have been coffee. It might have been a self-made mocha (coffee + hot chocolate). It might have been tea. Whatever it was, it was highly enjoyable, mostly because it came from a Disney food court and was consumed in a refillable mug.

Disney coffee is never really delicious for its own sake. It's delicious because it's Disney.

They were filming some sort of something (I'm really specific, aren't I? ) out by the pool. I didn't recognize either of the actors. And, to my mind, if it's not Stacy, Taylor Swift, or Kate Middleton, there's nothing much to get excited about. Those are the three celebrities that matter in my book. lol.

P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney. Don't forget it!

Good Morning Nemo! How cute is he, swimming across that big building? But I tore myself away from the ocean adorableness to check out some motor action...

My steps were turned towards the CARS section of the resort!

Now I’ve read about and seen photos of Carsland at Disneyland – it sounds amazing. And if any of you readers have been there and/or to AoA, you’ll have to tell me how they compare.

But, honestly, I can’t imagine Carsland being much cooler than the Art of Animation area. I was totally blown away. Just like with the Finding Nemo section, it felt like you had stepped right into the movie.

Every few steps you seemed to run into a new, lifesize Cars character. Hey Doc! How’s it going?

Flo, you lookin’ good, girl!

Ramone is all ready to give you a whole new look, but he’ll also point you towards the Cozy Cone Motel!

The windows of the Cozy Cone were so cute and typically Disney – chock full of perfectly themed details!

You can’t actually go in the lobby building of the Cone (well, actually you can, but it’s just the bathrooms. They were really nice bathrooms though.), but if you walk through it you’ll find the Cozy Cone’s pool!

Let’s check it out, shall we?

THOSE COLORS! And that morning sunshine! And that complete lack of any other human being to spoil my photo! lol.

Maybe partly why I enjoyed this part of the resort so much was because of how quiet it was – I had the Cozy Cone all to myself that morning. And in fact, all throughout our stay, the resort never seemed overly busy or crowded.

Still, the quiet of the morning is something you can’t get at anytime of day. I simply adore Disney mornings.

Ok, let’s go over the amazing things about this pool.

1. YOU’RE AT THE COZY CONE MOTEL. How cool is that?
2. Each little cone is its own adorable little beach hut that you can actually go and sit in. Also it’s nice that there were, I think, seven or eight of them, so you’d have a pretty good chance of finding one open!
3. Bright colors popping out all around you. Those facades on the buildings were just perfect. Notice how the ones directly behind the pool have the Cadillac mountain range!
4. PALM TREES.

I think we have now established the awesomeness of this pool.

LUIGI, my friend!! How are you???

I love how absolutely delighted he looks to see you.

GUIDO!!! EEEEEeee! (Guido is my favorite character from Cars). He also looks so wonderfully happy. You can’t help but smile looking at that blue face!

(That scene, where he totally pwns - yes, I just used the word pwn - the other jerky pit stop cars: FAVORITE.)

Of course, there’s a Casa della Tires in town!

And right across the street is Mater’s towing shop and the main Mater himself!

I didn’t get pics of Lightning McQueen and Sally, they were over by the Wheel Well Motel, which is behind the Cozy Cone – I did get pics of that later in the evening, so those are coming! I believe that Sarge and Fillmore were also to be found, though not any of the characters from Cars II.

This whole area though was so complete in its theming. So many details, so many colors, such gorgeous landscaping. The hallways were really fun too (photos of those later as well!) – I would love to stay in this section someday. I’ve read that the Lion King and Little Mermaid sections maybe aren’t quite as epic, but the Cars section definitely hit it out of the park for me.

It was still early when I finished exploring, so I got another drink in my mug (white citrus tea this time!) and took it to sit by the playground area.

I have a thing for benches, and there were some quite lovely benches there.

A brilliant Disney morning? Oh yeah. I’d say so.

And it wasn’t even over! Up next, breakfast at Landscape of Flavors!

Last edited by AGPrincess; 04-11-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #392
zipadeepixie
Earning My Ears

The Cars area at AoA looks amazing but Cars Land will blow you away! You HAVE to come to California and see it!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #393
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Welcome back! I love just how adventurous you are to travel abroad. It doesn't seem like my kind of thing at all, so I enjoyed living vicariously through you. I haven't finished watching all your vlogs yet. Haha, I focused first and foremost on the ones where you visited patisseries!

I like how the Cars at AoA are kind of leaning to the side to give them even more personality. I would LOVE to have one of those cones at the pool to relax in on a non-park day!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #394
Miss Potts
Mouseketeer

Loving your trip report!

I've never stayed at the GF but your report has totally tempted me to squeeze a night or two in on my next trip!!

Can't wait to see your poly report - my favorite resort ever!!!

Read my PTR:
The Adventures of Miss Potts - PTR Fall 2013

1987 Hilton / 1989 FW / 1991 CBR / 1993 BC / 1995 WL / 1997 Poly / 1998 BWI / 2001 BC / 2005 Poly CL / May 2005 WL CL / Dec 2005 WL CL / August 2006 WL / Jan 2007 Poly CL/Contemporary CL / 2008 WL / Jan 2009 Poly CL / Oct/Nov 2010 AKL (Engaged!) / Oct 2011 DCL Magic (Honeymoon!) / Oct 2012 OKW/BLT / Feb 2013 WL Club / Sept/Oct 2013 Poly CL
Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #395
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Art of Animation... I just can't even deal with how perfect it is, honestly. It amazes me every time I see pictures!

Hope you had a wonderful time in Europe... I know you did!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #396
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipadeepixie View Post
The Cars area at AoA looks amazing but Cars Land will blow you away! You HAVE to come to California and see it!
Oohhh, good to hear! I really want to get out to check out Carsland, especially after seeing Art of Animation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Welcome back! I love just how adventurous you are to travel abroad. It doesn't seem like my kind of thing at all, so I enjoyed living vicariously through you. I haven't finished watching all your vlogs yet. Haha, I focused first and foremost on the ones where you visited patisseries!

I like how the Cars at AoA are kind of leaning to the side to give them even more personality. I would LOVE to have one of those cones at the pool to relax in on a non-park day!
Thanks! lol, glad you enjoyed the vlogs. The patisseries were SO much fun...I'm missing them already! It's so difficult to find a really good bakery here in the States - I just don't get it.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #397
MEK
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are great! Thanks for the tour of AoA. It's such a cool resort. I hope someday I get a chance to stay there. I toured the Nemo area last summer, but I think its time to go back and tour some more. That pool in the Cars section is adorable.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #398
disneyhockeymad
˚o˚ ˚o˚ Sharing a Little Bit of Disney Happiness! ˚o˚ ˚o˚
Adores Toffee Crisps

I LOVED the cars section of AoA, my mum and I were in absolute awe! Posed with so many characters, so so good!

I also love mornings like that, so quiet, so peaceful, so sunny and so relaxing! Love it

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Well you said you wanted to do things differently! A Sept 2012 TR
Just one last time... please? A Sept 2012 PTR
It's Alright I'm Still Alive! July 2008 TR

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)
Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #399
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Potts View Post
Loving your trip report!

I've never stayed at the GF but your report has totally tempted me to squeeze a night or two in on my next trip!!

Can't wait to see your poly report - my favorite resort ever!!!
Welcome, and thank you! (P.S. I love your username!) The Grand was utterly wonderful, only to be topped (of course) by the Polynesian - it's my favorite too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Art of Animation... I just can't even deal with how perfect it is, honestly. It amazes me every time I see pictures!

Hope you had a wonderful time in Europe... I know you did!
It is so fabulous...I want to go back and see the Lion King and Little Mermaid sections! You have to make sure you get over to see it on your next trip...although maybe it's one of your mystery resorts?? I can't wait to find out where you're staying! And thanks, it was a wonderful trip!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #400
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Your pictures are great! Thanks for the tour of AoA. It's such a cool resort. I hope someday I get a chance to stay there. I toured the Nemo area last summer, but I think its time to go back and tour some more. That pool in the Cars section is adorable.
Thanks! It is a pretty fabulous new resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyhockeymad View Post
I LOVED the cars section of AoA, my mum and I were in absolute awe! Posed with so many characters, so so good!

I also love mornings like that, so quiet, so peaceful, so sunny and so relaxing! Love it
The characters are such a great addition to the resort - and so perfect for photos! Quiet mornings are the best.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #401
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Wonderful pics!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #402
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Wonderful pics!
Thanks!! There are more to come!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #403
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

The Breakfast Landscape

Dinner at the Landscape of Flavors had been delicious. I was excited to try the breakfast!

Good Morning, food court! There is nothing like a Disney food court for starting a day. If I were a poet, I would write an ode to Disney food courts. lol, but luckily for you guys, I'm not a poet.

MMmm...that "iced mocha" from the market sounds good! It's too bad they didn't have the iced coffee machines available as a mug drink at Art of Animation - at Captain Cook's at the Polynesian, they DO have the exact same iced coffee out for mug use.

I think I might have mentioned that already in this TR, but obviously I'm really impressend by it, so I may even mention it again. Hopefully they'll extend it to more resorts!

I wish I could remember now what all these things were. That one pot looks like some kind of fried potatoes, but we ordered the breakfast potatoes, and I don't think they looked like that.

So many choices! The good thing about having a big family is that usually everybody gets something different, and then we all swap bites so you can try a bit of each tasty dish.

This morning, our family mini breakfast buffet included...

Chocolate Chip Pancakes -- a little bit odd how all the chocolate chips were kinda dumped in the middle. Don't Disney chefs know the art of sprinkling, so you can get a little bit of chocolate in each bite? Maybe they're working on it. After all, Landscape of Flavors is still fairly new.

Somebody went with the normal pancakes, with the fruit topping. Normally, when I see the words "fruit topping" on a menu board, I envisage soupy, mushy strawberries from a can or gloppy blueberry sauce. So I was most pleasantly surprised to find that Landscape of Flavor's "fruit topping" was actually real, fresh fruit on top.

I'm fairly certain that I went with the challah bread french toast with fresh fruit. But as my Disney Diary has gone MIA at the moment, I can't remember for sure.

(And I know I saw its cheerful Mickey cover recently somewhere around the house...I just can't remember where. Don't you hate it when you lose stuff like that??)

This, I know, is a rather unglamorous photo; but it gives you an idea of the sides we tried. The lumpers (that's Irish for potato) are tandoori potatoes – they weren’t quite cooked enough and were too tough in the middle. The other was the “breakfast potatoes,” which in this case was a potato casserole/hash kind of dish. It was just alright if I recall, sadly nothing special.

The general impression I remember from breakfast was that it wasn’t as tasty as it looked/sounded. The fresh fruit was obviously lovely, but the challah bread French toast, which sounds pretty delicious, was disappointingly ordinary, and I think it was cold.

We loved our surroundings, however, and how quiet the food court was. I really hope they don’t tell the BGT’s (Brazilian Tour Groups) about this place. In fact, let’s just keep in on the downlow altogether. It can be a secret resort just for DISers.

Lion King lamp! Love the leaves.

Love the lovely Disney art as well. It would be fun to decorate your house with classy scenes from Disney movies like this!

Cute shoes! And the nail polish was the one I got at Pirate's League earlier in the trip.

Most of the family were using their kindles and/or ipods and/or gaming devices. Sigh. I, however, went over to the front desk to inquire about a sign I had seen earlier. A sign that advertised a “Sketch Artist of the Day” competition.

I believe they do this everyday - you just have to ask at the front desk, and they'll give you an oversized piece of paper and a pencil. You do the sketch and give it back, then in the afternoon they apparently have a little thing where they announce a winner or maybe just ackowledge everyone who participated. We were out when they did the ceremony, so I can't say. The drawings were later delivered to our room with a certificate for each person, fun!

Dart drew Phineas and Ferb (as we had been taught at Hollywood Studios earlier in the week!). I think Athos might have drawn them as well.

After much deliberation I elected to draw Tinkerbell. It's hard to tell from the photo, but she's standing in front of the Art of Animation Resort saying "Why was I not included here?"
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #404
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Captain Cook's at the Polynesian, they DO have the exact same iced coffee out for mug use.

REALLY!!! That is so great to know. Just another reason I can't wait til September. Also I can't wait to hear all about your time at the Poly. I hope it is coming up soon

AOA looks really nice. I am just not a fan of value beds. I wished they were a little better, then we would stay there a lot more.

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV,VWL,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #405
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel View Post
Captain Cook's at the Polynesian, they DO have the exact same iced coffee out for mug use.

REALLY!!! That is so great to know. Just another reason I can't wait til September. Also I can't wait to hear all about your time at the Poly. I hope it is coming up soon

AOA looks really nice. I am just not a fan of value beds. I wished they were a little better, then we would stay there a lot more.
The Polynesian days are in fact imminent -- can't wait to share! And you're right, value bed do sometimes leave much to be desired. The ones at AoA weren't terrible, though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: