Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
shinez
If you are lucky enough to be at the beach, then you are lucky enough!

Location: Maine! Just a hop skip and a jump from the coast...

Slightly Nervous... venturing to unknown resort!

Hi Dis'ers!!
I am headed to the WILD side... the Wilderness Lodge! Never been here to stay and slightly nervous, since I am a Poly girl thru and thru... need tips, tricks and advice to help ease my fears, as well as room 'requests' for our courtyard view room... Please help! Thanks everyone! You rock!

Wilderness Lodge - April 2013!
Back to the Polynesian- Feb 2012!

Disney Cruise- Magic- Feb. 2010
Surprise 40th B-day trip sans kids- Dolphin- Oct. 2009
Polynesian- Nov. 2008 Polynesian-March 2006Polynesian-March 2003 Polynesian-Feb 2002
Hop skip and a jump over to Disneyland-Paris on Honeymoon- June 1995
Polynesian- March 1994Polynesian- March 1993 Off-site- College Spring Break 1989 & 1988
1st
Disney Vaca with Family at the Sharaton Lakeside Motel April 1977

shinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

I just said this on your other post but I'll say again, I think the biggest difference is the room size. So take that into consideration when packing. Maybe smaller luggage or pieces that are easily tucked away so you don't take up your floor space. At the Poly we always tend to spread out but when we are at the smaller resorts I try to pack the kids together and use our smaller bags.
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
skylynx

Riding for my own brand.

As a DVC owner at Wilderness Lodge Villas, I'm probably biased, but this is my favorite resort at all of WDW. My family stayed at the main lodge long before we owned DVC points there, though.

Ten neat things about Wilderness Lodge (and there are plenty more!):

1. If you like the grand, Copeland-esque music they play in the lobby you can ask at the concierge desk for a copy of the playlist. There's also cool information about the construction of the lodge and the chandeliers, totems, etc. You can also take a guided tour where the same sorts of things are explained.
2. One family each day gets to go up on the big tower and raise the flag. You might just get lucky if you ask the concierge about availability!
3. The Territory Lounge is a really nice, quiet place for adults to go for drinks and really good appetizers like the beer cheese fondue.
4. The "geyser" erupts on a regular schedule.
5. You can sit on the beach and watch the water pageant!
6. The Whispering Canyon Cafe always offers a free side dish of goofy entertainment along with your food.
7. When you are exhausted, it's nice to sit and rock in front of the fireplace.
8. If you have time, look at the gorgeous pieces of native art that are in most of the main public areas.
9. You can rent the water sprites (or whatever they are called now), rent bikes, or even take a really nice walk over to Fort Wilderness.
10. You can stand in the pool at the waterfall end and let the water tumble over your shoulders...ahhhh
WDW 2 many times 2 count since 1973 AKL, WL, Dixie Landings, CB, VB,OKW, GCV, 5 Disney Institute Professional Programs CA/Disneyland GCAL, Treehouse Villas DVC 2007 Disney Wonder 10/02, 3/03, 2/04, 5/06, 5/07, 6/08, 8/10, 2/11Disney Magic W 10/04, 1/07, E 2/06, 11/08, 2/12 Disney Dream 6/11 6/14 Disney Fantasy 2/13 2/14 NCL Alaska 6/09 Trader's Inn Beach Club Ormond Beach FL 2014
skylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

I have never been to Poly but our first trip last year was WL and we LOVED it. We are going back in December and the kids picked it again. NO desire to try anywhere else!!! We had 4th floor woods view with bunk beds and the bunk beds worked out great with the 2 kids. Gave them their own space for their stuffed animals and no complaining about kicking etc. At night my husband and i would sit on the balcony and we could see Wishes fireworks. We had a small pond and trees to look at which we liked very much. My kids were 12 and 6 at the time last year and we felt comfortable with them taking the elevator downstairs and grabbing soda refills. We loved the theming and all the activities. LOVED the boat to Contemporary and MK. We spent and entire day at the resort .... renting bikes, renting the little boats, swimming, taking walks.

Again, never been to Poly but WL is very nice. And we loved the restaurants there as well. Just make sure you ask for Ketchup!!!!

Donna

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinez View Post
Hi Dis'ers!!
I am headed to the WILD side... the Wilderness Lodge! Never been here to stay and slightly nervous, since I am a Poly girl thru and thru... need tips, tricks and advice to help ease my fears, as well as room 'requests' for our courtyard view room... Please help! Thanks everyone! You rock!
I love the WL. It is gorgeous. The biggest difference you'll notice is that the rooms are much smaller. You will probably miss the monorail. But you will not miss walking outdoors to get to main building to refill your mug. Everything is under one roof at the WL and the resort as a whole is more compact. And there are hot tubs at the WL. It isn't all insane with people who don't belong there, either.

Just keep an open mind and accept the fact that you probably will miss the Poly, but that doesn't mean that you can't love another resort, too.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: