Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #196
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
Except for families like mine that are use to be spontaneous. I find relying on transportation (other than my own vehicle) to be bothersome. I hate being stuck to someone else's schedule. So if we wanted to leave a park and drive somewhere for ice cream, we have to wait for the bus, then go back to the resort to get our car. Our very first trip we used disney transportation and didn't like it. DD had her stroller then and all six of us trying to get on the bus and people cutting off DH trying to get on with the stroller was really a pain. DH would rather wait for the next bus thinking he would be first on, but again people would cut him off when he was trying to be polite. It's a mad rush, free-for-all to get on the bus. No one follows a line.
In my experience at WDW and DLR, getting on a bus/boat/monorail is always faster than walking through the parking lot.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #197
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Our very first trip we used disney transportation and didn't like it. DD had her stroller then and all six of us trying to get on the bus and people cutting off DH trying to get on with the stroller was really a pain. DH would rather wait for the next bus thinking he would be first on, but again people would cut him off when he was trying to be polite. It's a mad rush, free-for-all to get on the bus. No one follows a line.
Wow, that's unfortunate that you had that kind of experience on a Disney bus!
Was this going to the resort or going to a park?

We have been to Disney three times for weeks at a time and have always relied on Disney transportation. We have two strollers and have never had a problem getting on or off a bus. I have never experienced a mad rush or free for all. It's always been an orderly line.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #198
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Wow, that's unfortunate that you had that kind of experience on a Disney bus!
Was this going to the resort or going to a park?

We have been to Disney three times for weeks at a time and have always relied on Disney transportation. We have two strollers and have never had a problem getting on or off a bus. I have never experienced a mad rush or free for all. It's always been an orderly line.
It was going back to the resort. There were lines until the bus pulls up and the doors open. We waiting for the next bus so we were first but everyone just rushes right past DH trying to get on with the stroller.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #199
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
In my experience at WDW and DLR, getting on a bus/boat/monorail is always faster than walking through the parking lot.
Mine is the opposite. I am a speed walker. Plus we can go directly to our next destination.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #200
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Quote:
Mine is the opposite. I am a speed walker. Plus we can go directly to our next destination.
And that's why some will stay on-site and some off-site. We all view things differently. Have different wants and desires and put different values on things.

As long as we are all happy with our own choice...
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #201
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen

Us too! Many times we beat the parking lot tram because we refuse to wait for it! We walk fast and have no problems. We take wdw buses to MK and sometimes we'll hop a bus for a misc reason, but for the most part we drive.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #202
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Except for families like mine that are use to be spontaneous. I find relying on transportation (other than my own vehicle) to be bothersome. I hate being stuck to someone else's schedule. So if we wanted to leave a park and drive somewhere for ice cream, we have to wait for the bus, then go back to the resort to get our car. Our very first trip we used disney transportation and didn't like it. DD had her stroller then and all six of us trying to get on the bus and people cutting off DH trying to get on with the stroller was really a pain. DH would rather wait for the next bus thinking he would be first on, but again people would cut him off when he was trying to be polite. It's a mad rush, free-for-all to get on the bus. No one follows a line.
Wow...I've never seen that happen. If I had been your dh, I would have just stepped aside and said I would be waiting for the next bus, and allow the other passengers to board. And as soon as that bus left, I would have moved right back into line, in front. The stroller would have been folded up, everyone would have been ready to board. No one would have shoved in front of us!!
I just can't imagine how annoying that must have been. It should never be a free-for-all at the bus stop...that's what the roped off lines are for.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #203
bgraham34
Wilderness Lodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I disagree for now at least. We'll see what evolves in the coming months and years.
I agree with you for the moment. If EMH is removed and I suspect that it will be in the coming years, there will be no one perk to benefit staying on property. Having DME would not be worth the hundreds more to stay onsite. You might have to rent a car but at least having your own car is easier to get to three of the parks. MK will take you longer but at least no more waiting for a bus.

bgraham34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #204
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

It will be interesting to see what happens 'when' (if) EMHs are discontined. I'm not at all sure that it will mean fewer people staying onsite. I stay onsite (have never, ever stayed offsite) and I don't usually go to EMHs!
But, what will happen if people start leaving WDW resorts and begin to stay offsite?? Better discounts for those that choose to stay onsite. I would be happy with that.
I have to wonder if parking fees will go up if Disney sees more people staying offsite and driving themselves to the parks.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #205
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

The great thing is, there's something for everyone and if it doesn't suit you, there's always "off property". For us, we'll never stay off property. I've done it once and hated it. For us, we like to be immersed in the whole Disney experience. It's part of going to Disney. Now, everyone views it differently... but we don't venture out or eat out past Disney, nor do we go to Universal or Sea World. If we did, maybe that's another story.

But I love that you can check in and not worry about transportation or anything for a week. It's wonderful.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #206
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Wow...I've never seen that happen. If I had been your dh, I would have just stepped aside and said I would be waiting for the next bus, and allow the other passengers to board. And as soon as that bus left, I would have moved right back into line, in front. The stroller would have been folded up, everyone would have been ready to board. No one would have shoved in front of us!!
I just can't imagine how annoying that must have been. It should never be a free-for-all at the bus stop...that's what the roped off lines are for.
They don't have those at the deluxe resorts, though. I don't know if they think people with more money are better behaved or what. My favorite bus experiences have been at the value. I like the orderly queue at the bus depots at those resorts. My worst bus experience was at the Beach Club. Complete chaos. We were one of the first families there (must have just missed a bus) and dozen of people came up to the bus stop after us. When the MK bus finally arrived 25 minutes later people pushed and shoved in front of us to get on. We barely got on as a family. Ugh!
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #207
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000 View Post
They don't have those at the deluxe resorts, though. I don't know if they think people with more money are better behaved or what. Ugh!
That poster was talking about their experiences going back to their resort. All resorts have queues going back to the resort.

If you are staying at a moderate or deluxe resort, there are no queues going to the parks. But they do have shaded benches, which I like better than standing out in the sun in line, waiting for a bus to come. However if you are sitting on a bench you are not in line, and have to somehow join the group getting on the bus. If it is important to get on the next bus first, you need to stand by the curb. Some people will do that and form a bit of a line.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #208
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens 'when' (if) EMHs are discontined. I'm not at all sure that it will mean fewer people staying onsite. I stay onsite (have never, ever stayed offsite) and I don't usually go to EMHs!
But, what will happen if people start leaving WDW resorts and begin to stay offsite?? Better discounts for those that choose to stay onsite. I would be happy with that.
I have to wonder if parking fees will go up if Disney sees more people staying offsite and driving themselves to the parks.
You always have an interesting take on everything. I agree. If only more people would be disappointed with staying on property! Then there would be better pricing and availability for those of us that like staying on property.

I actually have stayed off property a few times and always miss and pine for being on property. (Stayed off when young, no money, and no idea what staying on property involved. Also stayed off for different trips where DH or I had work conferences.) I think that occasionally staying off property makes me appreciate being on property all the more. (Did it in October of 2012 and so I won't need to stay off for another 10 years or so.)

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #209
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

THE 2 Biggest perks are ..no renting cars..no worries about luggage if flying, IT was nice getting on ME having someone else drive us and not worry about going and waiting for luggage in the airport. and Disney transportation. Now its cheaper to stay off site for sure. But to each his own, i do both depending on my financial situation for the trip.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #210
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

IMO EMH is being eliminated "for now".

Then low and behold a couple years down the road-you can pay an additional $19.99 for EE and your wrist band will let you in.

Or for $29.99 you can stay a few hours after closing and your wrist band will light up the Mickey, allowing you on attractions after hours.

Or if you buy DVC, or stay Deluxe, or something along this line-again IMO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: