Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

DVC Studios VS. Regular Rooms

We've never stayed in a DVC Villa before, but I'm considering trying to rent points for a trip to celebrate my big 4-0 birthday. My birthday is just after New Year's and my plan is to arrive on 12/31 so I can see the NYE fireworks. I know it'll be crazy-busy but all I want for my birthday is to celebrate it with Mickey.

Looking at discount histories, it looks like they're hard to come by at that time of year and a full-price room at a Mod will run around $1200 for 5 nights. I could rent enough points for Studios at most of the DVC Resorts for less. I might consider bumping up my budget enough to get a 1-BR since it's a special trip, but in general we're used to sharing a room with our kids and it doesn't bother us so unless I got a really good deal on renting points, I'd opt for the Studio.

My question is - if you've stayed in Studios at different DVC Resorts, which was your favorite and why? How would you compare Studio accommodations to regular rooms at a Moderate resort?

Also, if you know a lot about DVC, can you tell me if it's hard to get a reservation at that time of year? I was thinking I should try to make my decision before the 7-month window opens up and the most popular ones are gone.

Thank you for your input!

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
We've never stayed in a DVC Villa before, but I'm considering trying to rent points for a trip to celebrate my big 4-0 birthday. My birthday is just after New Year's and my plan is to arrive on 12/31 so I can see the NYE fireworks. I know it'll be crazy-busy but all I want for my birthday is to celebrate it with Mickey.

Looking at discount histories, it looks like they're hard to come by at that time of year and a full-price room at a Mod will run around $1200 for 5 nights. I could rent enough points for Studios at most of the DVC Resorts for less. I might consider bumping up my budget enough to get a 1-BR since it's a special trip, but in general we're used to sharing a room with our kids and it doesn't bother us so unless I got a really good deal on renting points, I'd opt for the Studio.

My question is - if you've stayed in Studios at different DVC Resorts, which was your favorite and why? How would you compare Studio accommodations to regular rooms at a Moderate resort?

Also, if you know a lot about DVC, can you tell me if it's hard to get a reservation at that time of year? I was thinking I should try to make my decision before the 7-month window opens up and the most popular ones are gone.

Thank you for your input!
Most studios will be one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. OKW has two queen beds. You'll have a slightly larger refrigerator with a tiny freezer section, a microwave oven, toaster and Mr Coffee style coffee maker. You'll have access to a washer and dryer in the laundry room, but not in your villa like the larger villas. Most of the sleeper sofas are not that comfortable.

If I had to stay in a studio, the only one I would go with is OKW just because of the two real beds.

NYE is extremely popular with members, so if you can get something before seven months that would be the way to go. You might be able to find something at the larger resorts - OKW, SSR or AKV, but the others would be extremely hard to get at this point.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
brertoad
DIS Veteran

OKW is great because of the 2 beds in the studio. Plus you can't beat having a kitchenette where a regular room only has a fridge and a tiny coffee maker.

We've stayed at all of the DVC resorts at WDW. If your kids can sleep on the pull-out sofa, then you can look at any of the other DVC resorts which have the queen bed/sofa bed combo.

If you want to see the NYE fireworks, then you may want to get close to MK, so either VWL or BLT. BLT has the smallest rooms, but they have a 'theme park view', which is amazing, you can watch the fireworks from your balcony. And you can walk to the front of MK, or take the monorail.

It's a hard choice, AKL has the animals, OKW and SSR are close to DTD - you can take the boat there, BC and BW are walking distance from Epcot - also has great fireworks.
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I think my biggest disappointment when I stayed in a DVC villa for the first time was that there was no daily mousekeeping. It didn't take me too long to get over my disappointment when I realized that I had sooooo much room in the 1 and 2 bedroom villas. I personnally would not stay in a studio with a family of 4 (unless it was OKW) simply because of the bedding situation.
Even when we stay in a 1 bedroom villa my kids still need to sleep in a sleeper sofa but the extra room makes up for the uncomfortable bed.
If it is just you and your DH then a studio is perfect.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Thank you all so much for the information! It has helped me a lot!

Guess I need to get over to the Rent/Trade thread and see what's available.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: