Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #61
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
I wouldn't need meat but with all those beans you may not want to be around me after an hour or so! I would need to be forewarned so I could take something before going.
LOL I have heard this from a lot of people who don't eat beans regularly. We eat a lot of beans so we are used to them and it doesn't "affect" us.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #62
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

I agree with most. I am a meat eater, but would be happy to have lunch at your house with this menu. (In fact, at Chipotle, I often order the veggie tacos even though I also like their chicken.)

I think people need to realize that a dinner party at someone's home is not the same as eating at a restaurant where you get to order dinner however you want it. (I think most people replying on *this* thread understand that.) If I knew my host was vegetarian, I would not expect my host to cook meat for me. (Nor would I expect someone to serve multiple main dishes at a backyard barbecue to ensure that everyone got their first choice. For example, most people like barbecued ribs, but I don't. If my host was serving ribs, I would either eat enough to get me through the party and get something else after the party or load up on sides/dessert. I would not expect them to offer chicken as an alternate entree because I prefer chicken.)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #63
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

What about making a ground beef mixture using morningstar crumbles? I DO NOT do vegetarian but some friends of our invited us over for dinner and made a baked ziti and used the crumbles instead of ground beef. I (a super picky eater) couldn't tell the difference and in fact remarked "I thought they were vegetarian...why is there meat in the ziti?"

The only thing on your menu that would give me pause is the chili. Without meat, it isn't chili.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #64
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
What about making a ground beef mixture using morningstar crumbles? I DO NOT do vegetarian but some friends of our invited us over for dinner and made a baked ziti and used the crumbles instead of ground beef. I (a super picky eater) couldn't tell the difference and in fact remarked "I thought they were vegetarian...why is there meat in the ziti?"

The only thing on your menu that would give me pause is the chili. Without meat, it isn't chili.
My DH used to be repulsed by the idea of a meatless chili, now he has tried my version he claims it to be better then any meat chili. In fact the first time I served him vegetarian chili I didn't tell him it was meatless and he claimed it to be the best chili he ever had.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #65
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
My DH used to be repulsed by the idea of a meatless chili, now he has tried my version he claims it to be better then any meat chili. In fact the first time I served him vegetarian chili I didn't tell him it was meatless and he claimed it to be the best chili he ever had.
I am sure it is very good, but how long did it take him to realize there wasn't meat in it? lol Just wondering.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #66
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

Depends on why your guests are meateaters. My husband would just politely pretend to eat and as soon as out the door, he would head for some meat or any other low carb option.

To me I would love your menu. On the other hand my husband would have to take so much insulin to eat that meal, he would feel nauseated the rest of the day.

Maybe just add a more traditional salad.
Janet Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #67
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Out of curiosity, how far would you go? Where do you draw the line?

There will be eight extra people coming.
I haven't seen four of the guests in probably ten years. I don't have a clue if they eat red meat or fish, hate chicken, etc. Two of the guests are people I only see about once every 18 - 24 months. Aside from knowing that one has a severe allergy to something, I don't know what they eat normally. The other two I see all the time. One is my brother who would kill to have shrimp. Since I have a severe allergy to hard and soft shell fish, he won't be getting any! That same brother does not eat any red meat so that leaves only chicken for him. What if the other six hate chicken? So now I should make chicken for my brother and beef for the rest just in case they hate chicken? Should it be ground beef or does it need to be steak? I know plenty of meat eaters who hate ground beef. At some point one has to recognize that they will never be able to satisfy everyone.

I think enough people have said they would enjoy the meal (or at least live with it and hit McD on the way home ) so I am going to stick with the menu. Most of them are going to O'Hana that evening for dinner so they can fill up on meat.

They do know that we have eaten this way for years. I did give them the option of going to a restaurant or having a Mexican bar at my place. They all agreed that they would rather eat here. Honestly, I want to make my guests happy, but I am not overly worried about it. I just thought it was funny that I immediately thought of the Dis when I was planning the menu.
When I have my vegetarian friends over, I always fix a separate vegetarian entree for them. They always insist I don't need to, that they'll just eat the salad or sides, but I don't feel right doing that. I think it's different for people who eat meat. They can go a meal (and often do) without eating meat, but vegetarians *cannot* eat meat. Big difference.

However, if you think it wouldn't bother you too much to fry up some ground beef or bake a couple of chicken breasts to shred, it would be a very nice touch. Again, though, I think your meal sounds delicious as is.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #68
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I'd eat it cheerfully and I wouldn't complain. But honestly, it's going to feel like something's missing.

If you are going to serve fake meat like the morningstar stuff, please tell people what it really is.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #69
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I'd eat it cheerfully and I wouldn't complain. But honestly, it's going to feel like something's missing.

If you are going to serve fake meat like the morningstar stuff, please tell people what it really is.
I'd never serve fake meat. I don't eat it myself so I wouldn't serve it to guests.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #70
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
As another poster said, if you're inviting me for lunch, I'd be eternally grateful and happy enough. That said, in all honesty, I would be missing the meat in my tacos or burritos (I'm fine with meatless nachos).
Same. But if the margeritas are awesome I might get over it quickly!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #71
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Hill View Post
Depends on why your guests are meateaters. My husband would just politely pretend to eat and as soon as out the door, he would head for some meat or any other low carb option.

To me I would love your menu. On the other hand my husband would have to take so much insulin to eat that meal, he would feel nauseated the rest of the day.

Maybe just add a more traditional salad.
I don't plan on having a heavy meal myself. It will be too early for me to pig out. I plan on making a Mexican salad. I will have a huge pile of lettuce, onions, mushrooms, and peppers, homemade tomato salsa, and a dollop of guacamole. I will add some beans to it. I'm not sure why vegetables with protein in the form of cheese and beans would cause your husband to become nauseous and take in too much insulin.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #72
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2_rocks! View Post
Same. But if the margeritas are awesome I might get over it quickly!
Hence the reason why I will offer up the margaritas as soon as everyone walks in the door. Enough of those and nobody will care what I serve!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #73
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I've been invited to a couple of vegan/vegitarian based meals. I have some food issues of my own and would problably be unwilling/able to eat some basics I know they eat. While I can make do for one meal I appreciate it when I'm given a heads up on the meal before hand (since it's not my normal style of eating). That way if I know that my choices are lean I can grab a snack before hand and then be content to nibble on my choices at the meal.

I and my host's have never had a problem with that arrangment, and I reciprocate so that when I know they are eating with me, I let them know what i'll have and they can eat/choose accordingly.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #74
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Out of curiosity, how far would you go? Where do you draw the line?

There will be eight extra people coming.
I haven't seen four of the guests in probably ten years. I don't have a clue if they eat red meat or fish, hate chicken, etc. Two of the guests are people I only see about once every 18 - 24 months. Aside from knowing that one has a severe allergy to something, I don't know what they eat normally. The other two I see all the time. One is my brother who would kill to have shrimp. Since I have a severe allergy to hard and soft shell fish, he won't be getting any! That same brother does not eat any red meat so that leaves only chicken for him. What if the other six hate chicken? So now I should make chicken for my brother and beef for the rest just in case they hate chicken? Should it be ground beef or does it need to be steak? I know plenty of meat eaters who hate ground beef. At some point one has to recognize that they will never be able to satisfy everyone.

I think enough people have said they would enjoy the meal (or at least live with it and hit McD on the way home ) so I am going to stick with the menu. Most of them are going to O'Hana that evening for dinner so they can fill up on meat.

They do know that we have eaten this way for years. I did give them the option of going to a restaurant or having a Mexican bar at my place. They all agreed that they would rather eat here. Honestly, I want to make my guests happy, but I am not overly worried about it. I just thought it was funny that I immediately thought of the Dis when I was planning the menu.
While I think your menu is fine (we eat meat, but not on a daily basis), I've never met a meat eater who doesn't eat chicken. It seems even the pickiest of the picky eats chicken. I have some kids who don't eat red meat of any kind, no pork, but will always eat the chicken.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #75
Monte Cristo
I hear their eyes are everywhere

This thread is exactly why I am glad I am anti social and don't ever have friends over...

OP...I am a meat eater and wouldn't mind your menu at all. It would, however, make me wish you did have some ground beef there because I LOVE tacos...it would be like a cruel tease! LOL It would have no impact though on me scarfing down a few tacos all loaded up with what you did have there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: